PDA

View Full Version : New user

LizzyN
08-03-05, 12:27
Hi there, I'm new to all this so hope I'm doing this right. I suffer from panic attacks and have recently had some hypnotherapy sessions to try to help me deal with them. I actually find them really uncomfortable and have decided that I won't go back as I'm sure at the very least I'm supposed to be comfortable with them.

A friend of a friend of mine suggested that I find a cognitive behavioural therapist as they can help??? Can anyone shed any light on what this is and whether it will help with panic attacks? I live near Chelmsford in Essex so if anyone knows of anyone local that would be great. Am I on the right bit to ask this???? Let me know - thanks

Liz

lisarose
08-03-05, 12:59
Hi Liz, Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find it very helpful as everyone here is very friendly. CBT is a form of psychotherapy. it centres on the concept that in some people, unwanted behaviours or moods can result from distorted patterns of thinking and that these behaviours or moods can be altered by changing thinking patterns and the way we view situations. Therapists use techniques of talk therapy to help you replace negative beliefs and thought patterns with positive ones. I have never tried it myself but have heard good things about it. Are you on any medication for your panic attacks?

There are probably alot of people on this site who have tried it or are going through it at the moment so i am sure they will advise you better than I can.

Take care
Love Lisaxx

razocaine_07
08-03-05, 13:32
hi liz, welcome, i hope u settle in this place properly. CBT can be extremely beneficial to anxiety sufferers. im on my second course of it and it is of great support to me.

jill
08-03-05, 14:17
Hi Liz,

Welcome to the site,

There are lots on nice people here who will
help and support you.

TAKE CARE LOVE JILLXXX

Great changes may not happen right away,
but with effort the difficult may become easy.

sal
08-03-05, 14:35
Hi Liz

Welcome to the site.

Sorry you havent felt comfortable with the hypnotherapy sessions. I guess you wont have gained much benefit from it if you have felt unhappy and not relaxed.

I had CBT and it helped me laods. It questions on your behaviour now and thoughts and how it relates to the past. It teaches you to retrain how you react and think and tests your thoughts and feelings.

You could get in touch with your doctor and they could put you in touch with your local mental health team who would know where there are some CBTs. If you go on a waiting list it can take months or you could go private.

Yeah you have posted in the right place.

Look forwarding to hearing more from you.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

Karen
08-03-05, 15:19
Hi Liz

Welcome to the forum.

You'll get some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Meg
08-03-05, 15:31
Hi Lizzy,

What about the hynotherapy sessions made you uncomfortable ?

For more explanation on CBT see the home pages / therapy.

It is the gold standard for anxiety these days with or without meds.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

JPF
08-03-05, 16:20
Hi Lizzy

Welcome aboard - just wanted to say hello and to echo what everyone's said above - this is a great place full of lovely people and a lot of very useful information..

CBT is indeed a very effective form of treatment and it may help you out.. the good news is that anxiety/panic does respond pretty well to all kinds of treatments and coming to a place like this is a big step forward and will really help you, I'm sure.

Good luck and good health

J

maxine
08-03-05, 16:26
Hi Liz,
Welcome to the site, cbt is very helpful i'm in the middle of a course and i have't felt so positive about overcoming panic attacks until i started it.

Goodluck:D

Take care
Maxine

FAN
08-03-05, 17:52
hi welcome to the forum im sure you will find it helpful

fan x

nomorepanic
08-03-05, 19:02
Hiya and welcome aboard.

I had CBT many years ago and it was a big help.

As people have said you can ask your GP to be referred but it can take some time to get an appointment. Can you afford to go private?

Hope to be of some help to you on here.

Nicola

bubbles
08-03-05, 19:31
Lizzy,

Welcome to the site.

I have not had CBT but have heard lots of good reports about it. Many people on here have been to CBT & I'm sure that will be helpful for you.

Linda.x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

henri
08-03-05, 21:07
Hi liz,

I've just started having CBT (had to go private because the NHS waiting list was too long) and I think it's brilliant. It's partly just amazing to have someone to discuss the panic/anxiety thing with on a regular basis but it's also good because they help you deal with it on a practical level and help to redirect certain negative thought patterns.
But it's also really hard work, i think you have to really want to do it for it to work - it's not like taking a magic pill. They make you do things that you really really don't want to do, go back to places where you've had really bad panic attacks etc. But i really think it's worth it in the end. I feel so much better after just a couple of sessions.
Anyway, hope that helped,
Take care,
Henri

lainey
08-03-05, 23:23
Hi Liz

Welcome to the site

You'll get loads of help and support here

Take care

Elaine x

LizzyN
09-03-05, 16:19
Thanks for all your responses! It sounds like CBT can be very positive.

I didn't enjoy my hypnotherapy sessions because they were so intense. There were too many silent patches, she did too much hugging! and I couldn't see the relevance with panic attacks. Maybe this is just me though?.....

I am really interested in CBT so if anyone has had any positive experiences with this in the Chelmsford area I would love to hear from you. Thanks everyone

nomorepanic
09-03-05, 19:22
Lizzy - maybe you and the hypnotherapist weren't compatible. You could try it again with a different one.

Get yourself on a waiting list asap from the doc and maybe you will get seen soon.

Nicola

MRC
09-03-05, 21:07
I have changed Psychiatrists in the past because I didn't get on with them.

Only do things that you realy feel at ease with and people you feel at ease with.

Eddie

Karen
09-03-05, 21:30
Hi Lizzy

I've been having hypnotherapy and find it a really positive experience. It is really important to feel comfortable with the therapist though and maybe this is why you have not been getting much from the sessions.

Perhaps you could consider seeing a different hypnotherapist. A lot of hypnotherapists offer a free introductory meeting so you can see whether you will be able to work with them.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
09-03-05, 22:23
Lizzy

If you want to assured that the hypnotherapist is registered etc then you need to go through this site - http://www.nrhp.co.uk/

These people are all members of the National Register of Hypnotherapists and Psychotherapists.

Hope it helps

Nicola