PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had chronic sinusitis?

Lissy43
30-01-08, 16:17
If so could you tell me how you felt and what treatment you had?

I had a ct scan in Nov 06 and all was ok but I still suffer with pain over my eyes and in ears and mucus in throat. It comes & goes every few days and jumps sides so ENT dr said its nothing to worry about when I had the ct scan especially as that was clear but im stil suffering.

I can breath out of my nose fine too so ive been told thats a good sign its nothing but im in alot of pain today and the mucus is thick in my throat, yuk!

I suffer with this so often its really driving me mad.

coxwit
30-01-08, 16:39
Your symptoms sound identical to mine...I went to three different ENT's, had the CAT scan...and yet I am told everything is normal and they put it down to allergies...thing is allergy jabs have done nothing for it neither have steroidal inhalers or elimination of all potential allergens (after allergy testing)...so now I just live with it. Like you it swiches sides and had heavy post nasal drip often bloody. It seems to reoccur for me the worse from November through to March for the last 20 years or so. Last year when I started treating my anxiety I noticed an improvement so I beleive it isat least in part some form of an anxiety based reaction.

Andy

Lissy43
30-01-08, 16:46
Thanks,

Anxiety has been mentioned as has allergies.

I get a feeling of pressure over my eye (its always on one side, never both at same time) then in ear and I feel snotty but im not bunged up iyswim. TOnight its over left eye, ear and cheek, I feel snotty and gunky in throat but ive not got a cold. You can bet tomrorow it will of gone and in a day or 2 be on the other side.

I have tinitus now and again aswell when i get this.

anne
31-01-08, 00:10
Hia, it sounds horrible Have you tried antibiotics? I have had the sinusitus in the past the pain above my eyes was constant, and used sinutab (and dimotap, probably not available now) Anadin always seemed to work best for me for pain relief but too many cause tummy problems.
Have you tried frias balsam? an inhalant over a bowl of steam?
I always turn the car vents off the windscreen and keep all vents closed as it is aggrivated by this and wear sun glasses in the car.
keep your mouth clean at night. Get fresh air.
Anthistamine helps my nasal drip but I only take it occasionally and when I fly it can get infected so I take antibiotics with me.
I am allergic to lots of colours in foods and medicines.
let me know how you get on it is not nice having to live with it
xx anne

Lissy43
31-01-08, 14:23
I have had antibiotics alot over the last 2 years for these symptoms, the drs no longer give me them.

Today the pains have gone??? you can bet in a day or 2 it will be back though, very strange. My GP says though it wouldn't come & go if it were chronic infection.

Thanks Anne.

dawny
31-01-08, 15:16
olbus oil......i swear by it for sinus.....love dawny

Lissy43
31-01-08, 23:12
It does help, I use it most nights.

anne
01-02-08, 23:06
hia Cherry my brother in law tried a nasal decongestent from his gp that helped him so I found this in the bnf British National Formulary perhaps this might help you??

let me know what you think annexx

"Printed from: Joint Formulary Committee. British National Formulary. 54 ed. London: British Medical Association and Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain; 2007.
http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/images/tick.gifBNF

12.2.2 Topical nasal decongestants

The nasal mucosa is sensitive to changes in atmospheric temperature and humidity and these alone may cause slight nasal congestion. The nose and nasal sinuses produce a litre of mucus in 24 hours and much of this finds its way silently into the stomach via the nasopharynx. Slight changes in the nasal airway, accompanied by an awareness of mucus passing along the nasopharynx causes some patients to be inaccurately diagnosed as suffering from chronic sinusitis. These symptoms are particularly noticeable in the later stages of the common cold. Sodium chloride 0.9% given as nasal drops may relieve nasal congestion by helping to liquefy mucous secretions.
Symptoms of nasal congestion associated with vasomotor rhinitis and the common cold can be relieved by the short-term use (usually not longer than 7 days) of decongestant nasal drops and sprays. These all contain sympathomimetic drugs which exert their effect by vasoconstriction of the mucosal blood vessels which in turn reduces oedema of the nasal mucosa. They are of limited value because they can give rise to a rebound congestion (rhinitis medicamentosa) on withdrawal, due to a secondary vasodilation with a subsequent temporary increase in nasal congestion. This in turn tempts the further use of the decongestant, leading to a vicious cycle of events. Ephedrine nasal drops is the safest sympathomimetic preparation and can give relief for several hours. The more potent sympathomimetic drugs oxymetazoline, and xylometazoline are more likely to cause a rebound effect. All of these preparations may cause a hypertensive crisis if used during treatment with a monoamine-oxidase inhibitor including moclobemide.
Non-allergic watery rhinorrhoea often responds well to treatment with the antimuscarinic ipratropium bromide.
Inhalation of warm moist air is useful in the treatment of symptoms of acute infective conditions. The addition of volatile substances such as menthol and eucalyptus may encourage the use of warm moist air (section 3.8 (http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/3067.htm)).
Systemic nasal decongestants—see section 3.10 (http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/3134.htm).
Sinusitis and oral pain

Sinusitis affecting the maxillary antrum can cause pain in the upper jaw. Where this is associated with blockage of the opening from the sinus into the nasal cavity, it may be helpful to relieve the congestion with inhalation of warm moist air (section 3.8 (http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/3067.htm)) or with ephedrine nasal drops (see above). For antibacterial treatment of sinusitis, see Table 1, "

Lissy43
02-02-08, 15:23
Thanks Anne,

Very helpful, my mum used to sufer and she said changes in the weather always lead to pain in her sinuses, maybe it is just that with me.

anne
02-02-08, 16:24
hope you feel ok soon

fairyloveheart
04-03-08, 18:16
Hi There. I AM SO SCARED. It's like I am not living anymore, just existing - every minute of every day it feels like I am thinking about my "brain tumour" (undiagnosed as such as of yet) - when I wake up in the night it's the first thing I am thinking about.

Initially in early Dec, I had a feeling of fulness in my right eye tear duct area, and this was on and off for month, with some eye pain (Eyes tested - ok), then the facial pain started, behind my eyes, nose, bridge of nose, then ear ache, then forehead and then headaches intermittently in the front of the head.

Now I have developed a creeping sensation over the top right side of forehead and cheeks, a bit like a spider crawling across. Sometimes if feels like it is cold within my face (If that makes sense)

Over recent days, my forehead feels tight and achy.

In terms of congestion, this appears to vary - some days I am more congested and others, not.

I have also been sick and nauseous on a few occasions, but this appears to be as a result of coughing. I had one incident of blurred vision about a month ago when I woke up.

If I get up in the middle of the night, I feel awful, it's very hard to explain, and similarly if I turn over, I seem to feel strange.

I also seem to feel a bit dizzy although, not so the room is spinning, just a little off balance...

The symptoms seem to worsen throughout the day and be worse in the evening...

I went to a neurologist who said she didn't think it was anything sinister, but she would send me for a CT scan of Sinuses and Brain. I am awaiting a date for this, it has been a week since the appointment with her, and I rang the hospital today and they said they hadn't even received the scan referral yet.

I have looked up how they are going to operate on my brain and sometimes I just feel like I am going mad. Everyone around me says, stop worrying, it's nothing. How ca it be nothing, I have had this since December.

Gp thought sinus related - so I have tried sudafed, sinutab, then amitripyline for migraines, and various other brand sinus meds which do nothing. Theys aid there can't be an infection as the muscus is clear.

I am at my wits end. Please help.

fairyloveheart
04-03-08, 19:09
PS
Also, my left arm seems to shake when I lean on it or carry heavy things - I seem to now keep making contorntionist poses with it to see when it shakes.

Lissy43
04-03-08, 20:27
It sounds like maybe a sinus problem but deffinatly sounds like anxiety, you sound so upset & worried its no wonder you don't feel good at all and have alsorts of symptoms.

I have been there and I know the worry can cause many symptoms.

Try not to worry, only worry IF they give you bad news but I am sure you won't have. My auntie had a brain tumour and she was very ill, the neurologist would not of made you wait if he thought you were seriously ill.

Let me know how you get on.

Jjeni
05-03-08, 08:23
God i have had this for 3 years now - i have had anti biotics and nasal sprays (which seem to make me have a headache) - cant belive someone else has it - i thought it was just me - doc thinks i imagine it i think half the time lol !! i had it yesturday where my nose at the top was sinusy pain and this morning im sneezing like a a trooper and have got the sinus pain again !!! think i go invest in some obas oil today ! Also i find mine is set off by the weather - monday was a nice day and i was a bit chesty with mine too - but there is alot of pollen already where i live - i knwo its not hayfever cause ig et it all eyar round but it doesnt help !! thanks for making me think its not jsut me lol

AtmoLav
05-03-08, 13:11
Cherry,

I'm suffering from it right now! I suffer badly every year from December till around now...I've always wondered if it's something to do with cold dry air going up there. I've tried anti-biotics (no help). Steam - helps a bit.

One thing my doctor said is don't use decongestants (they make it worse apparently by drying it out. I'm on a course of nasal corticosteroids at the mo, although apparently it takes a month to work.

The only thing that gives me any relief is ibuprofen for the pain and a saline nasal spray called Sterimar, which you can get in Boots for £6.

I also suspect it's anxiety-related. I find that when I'm worrying about something else it tends to go away.

My symptoms are exactly the same as yours...

fairyloveheart
05-03-08, 17:19
Thanks for the comments. Today I had a really tingly face and then felt light headed and strange - it lasted about 40 mins and when it had finished, behind my eye, and at the side felt stuffed as if behind my eye was as stuffed as when you get a stuffed nose. I am just so scared. Everyone says, just calm down and stop being silly. And I think, I wonder what people will say when I do have a brain tumour. (Not that that makes me feel better)

Why is it taking so long for them to even get a date for the scan. I think, have they lost the referral form??? I am going through the motions with daily life but am not sure how much longer I can cope.

Sorry for being such a misery

AtmoLav
05-03-08, 17:47
Fairy,

Sounds like classic sinus trouble to me. I think if you were experiencing pain as a result of a tumour, you'd probably know about it. My uncle had one (he's fine now), and couldn't move the pain was so bad.

Honestly, chill. You're describing everything I have, and it's sinus-related.

fairyloveheart
05-03-08, 18:13
Thanks for your advice - Just watched Neighbours - wish I hadn't - involved a character going into an MRI scanner - :(

I wish there was a magic spell that could be cast just to stop me worrying about the bad news until I get it.
x

Lissy43
05-03-08, 21:35
Hope your referal comes through soon, these things can take time but you should hear within 3 weeks or so.

I suffer from allergies and weather related sinus trouble, I just accept it now and plod on. Some days its there others its gone completly, I find if I worry about it feels alot worse than it actually is so I ignore it as much as I can.