PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

cboyce2215
31-01-08, 00:24
Hi guys,

I'm quite new to this site - this is my first post. It's good to know that there are a lot of people in a similar situation to me.
I dicovered that I've been suffering from health anxiety a few months ago, but now that I look back I have been experincing panic attacks and anxiety relating to my health for about six years! In fact, I've almost gotten used to feeling bad most of the time, which sucks.
I left home in September last year to go to university. Shortly after I left my anxiety got really bad. The worst it's ever been. I started having panic attacks almost every day and I constantly felt on edge like I would break down at any second. I began to panic specifically about my health, and I started convincing myself that I had been infected with HIV even though I understood that I was at no risk of getting something like that (I thought I got it by shaking hands with someone I didn't know, which is impossible). What's funny is that I never panic about the usual stuff -cancer or MS which is way more serious than HIV. I became completely obsessive, constantly checking my skin for rashes or imagining that I had a sore throat or that I was developing an opportunistic infection like pneumonia. Even now I'm expecting to wake up one day feeling awful, only to be taken to hospital and test positive for the disease. It's completely mad and irrational thinking. The thing that freaks me out the most about HIV is that it destroys your immune system which makes you vulnerable to stuff you wouldn't get if you were healthy. I'm really afraid of something like that - I'm afraid of being thought of differently if I was actually diagnosed for real, and having to deal with it for the rest of my life. If I was diagnosed with HIV, would people become afraid of me? It sounds completely crazy doesn't it?
Some people think that dealing with anxiety is really simple and that you just have to "snap out of it" and you'll be fine, which is unfair. I feel so angry and frustrated right now because I've had this condition for so long and I don't feel like it's ever going to go away! I feel depressed and ashamed for having such selfish thoughts all the time. And I feel completely ungrateful and that I don't deserve to be in good health anyway. To be honest I am sick of never being able to view things positively anymore. I'm getting counselling soon so I hope that will work things out for me eventually.
What do you guys think? Crazy huh?

sarajane
31-01-08, 05:03
Hi cboyce2215,
Firstly :welcome: to NMP, You will get heaps of great support here.

By joining NMP, you have made the first important step toward your recovery.

Secondly, you are definitely not 'MAD'.

Just have a look at some of my posts. LOL

I've believed I was totally crazy/mad for my whole life. Until I joined NMP.

You are in very good company here.

None of us at NMP are 'crazy', we just all have different sorts of dis - ease.

So by joining NMP you will be surrounded by all sorts of different people from all over the world that also suffer with many different forms of dis-ease.

I'm sorry that I can't offer you a quick fix, but have a look around NMP as there is a lot of good articles to read.

Also the chat room is a great place to meet people.

I have only been a member of the NMP family for two weeks, but everyone made me feel so welcome I feel like I've known them my entire life.

So a BIG welcome to NMP, I'm looking forward to chatting with you soon in the chat room.

Love Sarajane (SJ)

Janieb
31-01-08, 08:26
Hellooo and welcome :)

I went through a phase of thinking i had HIV, I come from South Africa where the statistics of HIV are 1 in 5, there were 5 members in my family so I would think when I was little, there are 5 of us it has to be me this was until I found out how you could actually contract HIV.

I have tattoo's and pearcings and everytime I go for them I am very anxious about watching them use clean equipment, I think I even went for a couple of HIV tests because I was so obsessed with having it, what freaks me out is the uncurable factor.

So you are pretty much normal, it's all about managing your anx and I feel that NMP has helped me with this in so many ways. It's a great place to express your fears as well without being looked at like an idiot.

If you very worried about HIV and you think there may be even a slight chance of contracting it just go to a GUM clinic and they will test you for free and send you the results via test even. It's clean and discrete, I find testing offered me a good peace of mind. Also arm yourself with information, how can you prevent getting it etc etc...

Hope what I have said will help in some way, but it would be nice to snap out of it, would make my life a bit more enjoyable without thinking I am going to die every 10 seconds :)

Take care,
Janie

chalky
31-01-08, 12:51
Hi CBoyce2215,

Welcome to the Forum!!

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

Please take your time and have a good look around the Forum.You will find that you have an awful lot in common with many other members-I can certainly identify with lots of what you have said.
The reality is that you are NOT unworthy.
You are someone with health problems which you are trying to address.If anything,you should be proud of yourself for being pro-active about this.
I look forward to meeting you in the Chat Room.
Best wishes,
Chalky