PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going back on Seroxet, advice please.

Juneie
08-03-05, 16:38
I actually want to go back on Seroxet after having been off it for over a year, my Dr agrees this is the best course of action. My anxiety and panics have gone from bad to worse since October and now I find im unable to go out anywhere except to the local shops or work. The constant anxiety is driving me mad and I just want some temporary relief so I can find a more permanant solution, ie councelling. However, im terrifed of the intital side affects of Seroxet. Last time I went on it, I had a friend staying with me for two weeks cos I felt so bad, this time I dont have that option. One night (about the 3rd day in) my vision was very blurred and for a couple of weeks I had a lot of morbid thoughts, and felt very depressed. I have two weeks off work for Easter and im wondering if I wait til then that it would be easier, or if in fact it would be easier to start now whilst im busy during the day. When im not at work im always at home, sometimes with my daughter who is 17, but at weekends im always in alone. Two things that I guess I will have to discuss with my Dr is, if I started on a lower dose would the symptoms not be as bad and also if she would consider giving me something else also to get me over the worst bit. I guess it just scares me that without someone around I might do something stupid. I know its my choice whether to go back on it or not, but Im not sure I can cope alone.

June

long term panic/anxiety sufferer, add agroaphobia to that, fed up

vernon
08-03-05, 18:56
Hi Juneie
. I was the same felt so bad and sick of feeling so bad I decided to go back on meds even though lots say to try not to take meds. I was prescribed Seroxat by a shrink but heared so many bad reports on them went to my GP and said iI didnt want them, So she prescribed me with Prozac. I had a good look around and asked people how they got on with prozac and lots said it hellped but didnt help the anxiety so i thought these are not for me also. Then New sarah from this site said why dont I try cipralex, she was on this med for panic anxiety etc and it realy he;ped her. I had a good look around this and other forums and asked about this med and only heared good reports. so I asked the Doctor for this It helped me quite a lot in a short time realy and had no bad effects at all was quite pleased. I seen my shrink a few months later and I told him I didnt take the seroxat and asked doc for Cipralex instead. He said It was a good choice as Cipralex is quite a new med. No reports of any side effects, vot as strong as a lot of meds and Is safe with nearly all other meds.New sarah who recomended them to me was on them for 12 months and is now comming of them and feeling much better and hasnt had any real bad withdrawal symtoms like u get with other meds. Its up to you only what you decide to do, but I like you hade enough and needed the help of meds for a break from it all. Take care. Vernon

Longie
08-03-05, 19:56
Hi June
i have just gone back on seroxat or paroxetine after a break of 1 yr. i am in my third week, i did try citalopram first for 4 weeks but i felt thay made my panics worSE and didnt work. i was scared to go back on seroxat because of the side effects and the withdrawal but to be honest i felt so bad i ended up wanting to go on them. yes i am getting side effects but as i have been here before i know they work for me and things will get better. i just want some sort of life back. the decision is yours but i do think all ssri's have side effects and withdrawal problems just go very slowly coming off seroxat, but you know anything our bodies are used to we will have side effects from even coffee
hope thAT HELPS
lONGIEx

Juneie
08-03-05, 19:57
Ty for that Vernon, I have an appointment with my Dr tomorrow so I shall ask her about Cipralex. Ive never seen this Dr before as I have just changed surgerys, so it will be interesting to see what she says. In the past ive had terrible experiences with Drs, fobbing me off, making me feel like Im wasting their time etc. This surgery seem good tho and even offer counselling for anxiety and panic attacks. It will be nice to be able to go in and discuss other options than Seroxet.

June

Juneie
08-03-05, 20:07
Ty Iongie, I agree that having been on Seroxet before at least I know what to expect. My withdrawl was not very bad, the only thing I seemed to suffer was bad moods, to which my Daughter will testify...lol. I will discuss the pros and cons with my Dr tomorrow, although its a new surgery I did see one Dr there a couple of weeks back who suggested going back on Seroxet, either way, whatever pill, I have to have a break from this. I badly need a haircut and Im long over due an appointment with the Dentist both of which I just cant manage at the moment. If pills will allow me to do simple things such as that, then thats what im going to do.

June

vernon
08-03-05, 22:05
So true June I hate going to the Docs to get that look >Oh not him again and get there is nothing wrong with you just anxiety. once you get diagnosed with anxiety etc they think you cant have other ailments and call everything you have in the mind lol. Take care. hope it goes well with new Doctor. Vernon

ruth
08-03-05, 22:21
Hi Juneie

Sorry to hear that you are not yourself at the moment and having a bad time of it. I myself having been on and off seroxat for the last 9 years (since I had my daughter), have just recently started again, 4 weeks ago. Like you I was battling and pondering the same thoughts as you are, in the end I decided enough was enough, and yes I have now started to feel alot better.

The side effects, as you mention are indeed awful to begin with, make you worse don't they!!! But remember this feeling will not last forever it is part of getting better again. This time round I started with just 5mg as my side effects were bad last time, you can do this my snapping in half again with a sharp knife, then get up to 20mg over 1 week, make sure your friends know what's going on and call for support if you are feeling bad, or visit us anytime. I sympathize with you and understand it's hell, but you will get up again, go for it juneie

Take care

Love Ruth xxxxxxx

blossom
08-03-05, 23:35
As most of you will know I suffer from agaoraphobia, panic attacks and depression, I was on Seroxat for 3 years, and was stopped them cold turkey by my doctor, that was four years ago, and have not got over the withdrawing of Seroxat. I am on 10 mgs of Cipralex, They all have side effects for a couple of weeks, and make one feel really rough. I did have to go back on Seroxat for a year at that time, they helped me, but was weaned off over a period of 8 weeks, so I have stuck to Cipralex.
I am also addicted to Diazepam. . Cipralex do help the panics, but am still very depressed. from Blossom

razocaine_07
09-03-05, 02:18
its a tough decision to make but i think it sounds like u have done alot of thinking about it, which is good. You have to remember that your situation at the moment is really tough and sometimes, you need a bit of help with your symptoms. I dont think that going on a lesser dose will lessen the side effects 'cos your still putting chemicals into your body that werent there before. But what i do i kno? i might be totally wrong. If you were to start again, you need to be in an enviroment that is most relaxing and with people who can help you through it. Good luck, im sure all will agree that we are here if u need us.

Juneie
09-03-05, 18:28
Ty to everyone who gave me advice on this. I have just come back from the Dr and together we decided that Cipralex is my best option at the moment. I have to say that im having second thoughts now though, because I feel better today than I have for months. After 20yrs of Dr's who really have not bothered to do anything else than throw pills at me, I have finallly found one I really like. She was so very helpful and more importantly very understanding. She is going to push for me to get CBT quicker than normal because ive been such a long term sufferer and has given me some great advice. I wish I had found her yrs ago, I think just having a professional take an interest has made me feel like im not such a pain after all. Im not saying I wont take the medication, whos to say that tomorrow my anxiety wont be back? But at least im having a good day, its been a long time coming...lol.

June x

nomorepanic
09-03-05, 21:14
June

Personally I was pleased to read this post and see that you are maybe considering not just taking more pills but getting some 'real' help for the problems.

CBT will be great and a big help and I hope they manage to get you in asap.

Keep us updated ok?

Nicola