PDA

View Full Version : Bottled Water and Sodium

davidr
08-03-05, 21:23
As part of my regime to help with anxiety symptons I am drinking lots of bottled water and taking much better care of my overall health. This means following the Department of Health guidelines regarding fruit and vegetables and monitoring my intake of sodium to meet the recommended 6mg maximum per day issued by the Department of Health.

I have been having a number of hospital tests lately which involve blood tests and all are showing me with raised sodium levels, so I am thinking how can this be. I eat next to no processed foods and take no salt on my food or add none in the cooking process. I eat healthy food and drink lots of spring water how can I have elevated sodium levels?

I decide to look at the label on my still spring water in search of an answer and wham 10mg of sodium per litre of water, so a two litre bottle takes me 3 times over the recommended daily intake of sodium stated by the Department of Health. I then visit the supermarket and find huge sodium levels in many brands of bottled water only Highland Spring has an amount below 5mg per litre. So even drinking two litres of this would take me over the government limits.

I have written to the Department of Health last week and asked for their clarification on this as they recommend we consume 8 glasses of water (2 litres) a day which I have been doing but this would seriously contradict their current recommendation on safe sodium consumption. I await their reply.

I mention this on here as increased sodium has been shown in research to play a role in increased blood pressure and anxiety related symptons. My sodium levels and blood pressure have increased and I think it is important that others are aware that drinking lots of bottled water given the current high levels of sodium they contain may not be as good for us as we first thought.

Meg
08-03-05, 21:40
I just had a look at the Severn Trent water quality ..

Analysis Typical Value UK EU Limit Units

Sodium 30 150 mgNa/l

davidr
08-03-05, 21:47
Hi Meg that is my water region as well. Is it saying 30mg of sodium per litre of water! So two litres of that per day would be 10 times the recommended safe intake according to the Department of Health. Am I reading that correctly Meg?

Meg
08-03-05, 22:47
Whow ..light bulb

I think the guidelines are 6 gms a day not 6 mgs..!!

nomorepanic
08-03-05, 22:58
ok so it is all ok then?

I dont understand gms and mgs lol

Nicola

Meg
08-03-05, 23:10
http://www.salt.gov.uk/

over 11 years old - up to 6 gms a day.

Yes, its totally fine - whew ! I think in a quick calculation you're ok up to about 600 litres a day.

1000mg in 1 gm.

Got me going there David .

I really am so impressed at all you are doing to help yourself the last couple of weeks and glad you're seeing the benefit.

Many congratulations.

Meg

sal
08-03-05, 23:31
Hi David

Pleased Meg could help you on that one. You are doing a lot to help yourself which at times i know we all dont respond to. Well done and take care.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

davidr
09-03-05, 00:48
Thanks Meg it is indeed 6gms no wonder the Department of Health didn't reply to me :) That seems an awful lot though. I can now happily start drinking my water again hooray. I have not got a clue as to why my sodium levels are high as I don't consume anywhere remotely near 6gms a day. I assumed increased sodium levels were due to diet and hence why I figured it must be the water. Anyway it isn't the water thanks to detective Meg for finding that out, you really are brilliant Meg thanks :)

Even though I look a complete buffoon I am glad Meg you cleared that up for me, many thanks :)

Just shows the old brain is still looking for witches in the wardrobe despite all the work to get my head a little straighter.

Meg
09-03-05, 06:36
Hi,

So what is your blood sodium level David ?

This just demonstrates beautifully one of the benefits of a forum like this. A place to share your worries and let others help you out a bit.

Noone said anyone had to do it alone but we do need to reach out and share the issue. So good on you David...

Its a very easy mistake to make. I'm used to mgs, gms cos of drug doses and working in critical care we had to do lots of workings out ...

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

lainey
09-03-05, 10:23
Hi

I panicked on first reading this as I drink gallons of tap water every day, always have done, thanks for the info Meg.

Welldone David on doing so many positive things to help yourself

Take care

Elaine x

sal
09-03-05, 11:48
You are right Meg, a site like this is great for help and support but it can also benefit from other people's knowledge as sometimes we read things and roller coaster on those thoughts.

Pleased it is ok now David and you are back on track.

Take care.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

vernon
09-03-05, 12:10
hi, Wouldnt it be better to use your own water filter for drinking water and making drinks? thanks

sal
09-03-05, 12:36
Hi Verny Babes

I know lots of people use water filters but a lot of people still dont like the taste of their water. Suppose it depends on the area you live in, i know my water tastes fine to me but at my mums its like drinking from a swimming pool!!

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

davidr
09-03-05, 13:08
Highland Spring emailed me today and pointed out my error also, telling me I could drink 511 litres of their product per day before exceeding government guidelines. They were very nice and sent me some useful information.

The guidelines are 6gms of sodium chloride which is equivalent to 2.3gms of sodium per day, apparently manufacturers use sodium as the measure because it is a lower number than using sodium chloride which is actually salt so you have to multiply up a bit to get the actual salt value.

My actual sodium level at last blood test two days ago Meg was 149mmol /L which was just outside the upper range of 148.

davidr
09-03-05, 13:16
I live on a farm and do worry about the level of chemical damage in water pipes and the impact of chemicals seeping into the water table and as such given my health anxiety problems I have convinced myself that only Highland Spring is safe to drink and that if I drink tap water then it will be contaminated with some metal or other, that I will not know if a water filter removes or not.
It is pretty expensive drinking 2-3 litres of bottled water a day however and can understand why it is not an option for a lot of people. I would like to have more confidence in tap water but I have convinced myself that there may be cancer carying agents in the pipes even though I have absoultely no evidence for this assumption.

vernon
09-03-05, 19:09
hi sal babe XXX. We use a water filter but , I can drink water from tap dont realy bother me. But u can tell the difference with the filter and the smell. the cups dont have a line around either when u let a drink get cold lol. take care Vernon

sal
09-03-05, 19:18
Hi Vern

I drink it from the tap too, but some people dont like it.

I guess if you drink a lot of bottled water David it must work out quite expensive, but i can see your worries. Pleased they replied and gave you some helpful information.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

nomorepanic
09-03-05, 21:01
I drink all my water at work and it is from one of those water machines and is free so I am lucky that I don't have to pay for it.

Nicola

davidr
10-03-05, 01:00
Amazing that it is more expensive than fuel per litre in the case of some brands. I visited severn trents stand at the good food show at the NEC and they made a big splash about the cost of drinking bottled water versus tap, the cost difference per year was huge over 1000 percent price differential. I am not sure I can keep justyfing the £500+ per year on bottled water but I do have a real phobia about tap water and long term health as do many others given the huge amounts of bottled water suppliers in the market.

Meg
10-03-05, 19:02
When you gain a bit more confidence you could perhaps progress to a magnet filter plus a convential filter.

If you're shopping at a normal supermarket for your water perhaps you can find someone to take you to a cash and carry to help keep costs down at present.

If you're near Derby/ Notts I'm happy to take you to Costco where a case of 12 x 1 litre of sports top Volvics and equiv are £ 5.00 and non sports/ driving tops are less.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

davidr
12-03-05, 02:42
Thanks Meg,
You know I have never thought of going to bigger warehouse style places and buying water in bulk, that would make a lot of sense and save some money. I purchased 27 litres of highland spring from sainsburys tonight and it cost around £10 so I am sure I could cut that back by buying in bulk.
It is amazing how all the foods that are bad for you are as cheap as chips but the healthy stuff like organic veg . fruit , water etc costs a fortune. Don't get me started on the food industry. Don't know if you have read a book called the 'wellness revolution' but I think its time is certainly coming.

Meg
12-03-05, 10:37
I checked yesterday 12 x 1.5 litres of strathclyde water were about £3.50.