PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam

decca
01-02-08, 14:47
Dr has advised me to start taking Diazepam 2mg tabs,I'm anxious about starting them and wonder what side effects I'm likely to get and how long does it take for the tablets to work.
Cheers
Decca

jo61
01-02-08, 14:55
In my experience they work fairly quickly. Side effects - a bit sleepy and more relaxed which is what you probably want. 2mg is a small dose so they won't zonk you out like higher doses can.

louwilliams
01-02-08, 15:01
Just Be Prepared To Feel A Little Drowsy-not Everyone Is The Same And It Affects People Differently. I Was On 2mg For Roughly 10 Months On And Off And They Helped Me Enormously As A Quick Fx To A Major Panic Or Anx Attack

Take Care
Lou

decca
01-02-08, 16:39
Thanks for your replies, does Diazepam slow your heart rate ?

yorkylover
01-02-08, 16:51
Hi was on 2mg three times a day.Like Lou & Jo they made me sleepy,usually after my third tablet.They make you feel relaxed.I was given them after my last major PA,and they helped.:bighug1:

decca
01-02-08, 16:58
Thanks Ellen,
Dr said for me to take 2mg twice a day and 2 at night, I sleep OK so I'll see how I go on 2mg each morning.
I hate starting anything new.
Decca

yorkylover
01-02-08, 17:01
Im exactly the same on taking new meds of any kind.But they do help.See how you go,you may not need bed time ones.That was the dosage I was on.

decca
01-02-08, 17:43
Just taken the first tablet.
Thanks everyone.
Decca

decca
01-02-08, 19:41
Feels good so far, maybe not quite as relaxed as I expected,but a lot better than before, I guess it takes more than one dose,
Decca.

clairev
01-02-08, 20:24
Hi

Doctor prescribed me diazepam to take for severe panic attacks and when i fly as im not a good flyer, what i tend to do is take half a tablet at a time as the diazepam tend to slow me down, at first this scared me a little and i found that i was alot better if i took half a tablet then if i needed it took half a tablet about half hour to one hour later, i do find that these tablets have helped me so much through some of the worst panic attacks that i have had, and i think it helps so much to know that you have them with you when you are out, almost like a safety net.

Hope you get on with them ok

take care from claire xx

decca
01-02-08, 20:48
Thanks Claire,
I hope so to, I've been avoiding taking anything up to now because of my fear of meds,then last night I refused to baby sit the grandchildren in case I felt ill , I realised that my anxiety dissorder was effecting the rest of my family and that I was just being selfish in not taking anything.
So here goes -.
Decca

yorkylover
01-02-08, 23:08
well done you on taking the first tablet:yahoo: :yahoo:

decca
01-02-08, 23:51
Thanks Ellen,
Yea, it's just getting over the first that's the hardest bit.I'm feeling quite calm at the moment,just a few mild PA's trying to break through.
The mornings are the worst for me so I hope the tablets help with that.
Decca.

decca
02-02-08, 10:01
Woke up this morning 7.30 feeling shaky,shivery and still panicky , so took a diazepam,went back to sleep 'til 8.30 and woke up not much different.
Not sure now if Diazepam is right for me.
Decca.

joy
02-02-08, 14:12
doesnt work for everyone but carry on for a few days and see

Joy

decca
02-02-08, 15:19
Thanks Joy,
Do Diazepam take a while to click in then ?
I wasn't feeling to good at all this morning, tense,knotted stomach and what I call wizzy ( like everything wants to fast forward ),but I carried on and went shopping, feeling a bit better now and more relaxed.
I really only want to take 1 x 2mg tab in the mornings as that is the worst time for me,tense,heart racing etc.
Does anyone know how long the effect of a 2mg lasts ?
I know the half life is about 2 days but I think that is the time it takes to elliminate the drug from the system, is it the same thing ?
Cheers
Decca.

yorkylover
02-02-08, 15:19
I agree with Joy,carry on for a few days.I felt exactly the same as you on waking up but I carried on with them.:hugs:

joy
02-02-08, 16:16
I feel like that every morning!!! 2mg is s very low dose and wouldnt have much of an effect on lots of people. Are you on any other meds like anti depressants which is usually the first choice of docs?

Joy

decca
02-02-08, 16:44
Hi,
No I'm not on anti depressants,therapist said I wasn't depressed just have health anxiety, I take other meds for my heart though.
Decca.

decca
02-02-08, 16:51
It would be just my luck if I was one of the people that got rebound anxiety from Diazepam on the other hand I guess I might have had a crap day if I hadn't taken the tablets anyway.
Decca.

Franz
02-02-08, 19:41
Thanks Joy,
Do Diazepam take a while to click in then ?
I wasn't feeling to good at all this morning, tense,knotted stomach and what I call wizzy ( like everything wants to fast forward ),but I carried on and went shopping, feeling a bit better now and more relaxed.
I really only want to take 1 x 2mg tab in the mornings as that is the worst time for me,tense,heart racing etc.

I find 2mg diazepam doesn't have much effect. 4mg is better, but for me it takes about an hour to kick in.

Best wishes,

Francis

decca
02-02-08, 19:50
Hi Francis,
Yea an hour is about the same for me, I wondered if there needed to be an accumulation over a few days to get full effect.
Decca.

Franz
02-02-08, 20:10
Hi Francis,
Yea an hour is about the same for me, I wondered if there needed to be an accumulation over a few days to get full effect.
Decca.
Not sure. I've been taking them only when I really feel I can't cope, i.e. once or twice a week. However, I may try taking them every day for a while to see if they can get me out of the rut of angst I'm currently in. (Have stomach cramp and muscle tension the whole time; worst in mornings and late afternoon.) I'll let you know how I get on if so.

Best wishes,

Francis

joy
02-02-08, 20:17
Dont think it builds up its more as an as an when thingy but my late mum used to say if you took it regularly for a couple of weeks your mind forgets to panic. Dunno cos it doesnt work for me!!! but worth a try maybe

joy

decca
02-02-08, 20:23
Same as me, I've been avoiding meds for about 6 months but this week is a major life event for me,I'll know by Friday if I'm going to be retired 4 years early on ill health otherwise I need to decide whether or not to retire voluntarily.
So anxiety is worst than normal.
Decca.