PDA

View Full Version : surprise

celia davies
03-02-08, 15:53
my boyfriends taking me on holiday to america in a couple of months im so scared an worrying about getting on a plane an having a panic attack,ive been on a plane loads of times but not since my panic attacks started i dont want people thinking im stupid or weird but i really really wanna go on holiday any advice on what i can do??

amandaj
03-02-08, 18:38
yes go and enjoy it, i did last year, i went even further than america i went to mauritius and i have severe anxiety get a cpl of diazepam of dr take them before they work brilliantly you will ove it go for it xxx

amandaj
03-02-08, 18:39
love it even

LucyA
03-02-08, 18:44
Celia I think you should grab the opportunity and go for it! These things don't come around often and the pro's definitely outweigh the cons here. Doctor's are very understanding of how nervewracking a plane flight can be (even for the calmest of people!) and will probably give you valium/diazepam as Amanda says.
Good luck and have fun!
Lucy x

groovygranny
03-02-08, 23:58
Hello Celia,

You lucky girl you! America? Wow! :yahoo:

You know, you're almost half way there you know:

[ i really really wanna go on holiday ]

This positive attitude can only serve to help you.

Along with your favourite book, an mp3 player, some regulated breathing and maybe some Rescue Remedy.

You want this, and you can do it - so go for it, and poke the anxiety/panic in the eye! If you feel it coming on then ride it out - don't let it overwhelm you and spoil things for you.

Please try not to worry about what people think, don't let these thoughts rob you of this opportunity - just think about you, and the lovely time you're going to have with your boyfriend. And think of the wonderful feeling of achievement you'll have once you've done it!

I wish you all the very best

lotsa hugs to you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:flowers:

birdstuff
25-02-08, 20:40
Hi I new here and wa sjust browsing around and I saw your post , I cant fully relate to what you are posting

I had a similar experience (and about to have another )
in 2005 my mother in law phones up around easter and surprses us with a family holiday to disneyland florida and new york ... for xmas and year ...all paid for booked us our kids them and my 2 sister in laws !!

I am not joking you and you will probably know what I mean by my mind went overtime I 'freaked out ' every possible horror that could happen went through my head and it didnt stop till after the holiday and landed back in the uk at heathrow !
I swore I was going to die somewhere along the line ... either on the way to air port ...most probably on one of the planes ...or kids would be snatched ...lost etc. etc.
well nothing did happen.. Im here today telling the tale , so if anything I can offer you the thought that your not alone in worrying beyond the norm about what should be exciting. I know how its not just the worry its the guilt in feeling that you should be excited and whooping with joy and why cant you feel like that .
I think at the very last moment before with set of to the airport I felt a rush of excitement , but like I do I shoved that well back under my fears as usual ..
to make things worse I didnt say a word to anyone at all and kept it to myself knotted up for the months before , I felt sick , physically sick with fear , I wont say what my exact fears were just on the off chance you might take them onboard and add them to your own list ....( I know Im good for doing that one to myself )
well I split with my partner about 2 months prior to going , nothing to do with the holiday , it was a very volitile relationship ...or rather he was ,
bt anyway ,the first thought that went through my head once he had actually gone and it was public knowledge was good I dont have to go to america now .......

dont get me wrong I desperatley wanted to go , or to be able to go and without fear ,
I was just petrified at the thought of it.
was I wrong , his mum, the mother in law wasnt a fan of her sons behaviour so said that if it came to it he wasnt to go , me and the kids ould go with her and family !!! kids were so excited so , I went , my worst nightmare !
but once we got there off the planes I relaxed a little , still had my usual worrys and saftey plans mapped out in my head constantly, I know I did most probably ruin the holiday experience for myself , but they kids had a great time.
the funny thing is that I found was newyork , It had been my biggest fear , big city , gangs and you can guess of course the 911 in 2001 , but in the end I really enjoyed it in new york , it was so far different from what I had thought it up to be, I think the whole time there I actually for once in my life didnt flap and worry .
so theres hope that you may surprise yourself when your in america .
I laugh now at my self I was convinced it would be impossible to get home safely, I think I was the only person who enjoyed the landing part , where as most dont like the going down ,I viewed it as it would be over shortly either way.
well .......
I say I laugh now .. but that dosnt mean Im not doing exactly the same destructive thoughts on a trip to euro disney Ive landed myself in going on at the end on may this year .....
My mum this time , told me they were wanting to take my 2 kids on a caravanning holiday to euro disney ..... now I could either shatter there little hearts and say no way , what if... what about ... or I could grit my teeth and agree accept its my head and have to live my self if anything was to happen .... so I said yes , not letting on about my fear ..
but my mum who obviously picks up on me , spent a night orrying then that i wasnt ok with it , so decides to offer to pay for me and my other half too if I was worried about them going with out me......which wasnt exactly the problem , so then I had to accept as if I didnt go because justbecause i am scared and something happened to them i wouldnt forgive myself thinking what if I could have stopped it ... so now I m going my but other half has work commitments and Im terrified again ...of everything , this time a little less as I tell my partner stuff , its the first time Ive had someone that I can mention bits and bobs of my head too and he listenns and dosnt try to fix ...which is good !
but it makes a difference, so I do suggest you dont keep any of you thoughts quiet to your boyfriend , no matter how fantastic they are or how little , you may find like me when you actually say out loud to him exactly what your thinking it sounds so daft that you both laugh .... even if the thought still remains i find it helps to take the edge off it .
Im not one to ever bring up or rant on about my head to anyone so I found it very difficult to bring up what ever is bothering me, when I did with my
boyfriend it was a relife and i just edged roung jokingly at first round a couple of my thoughts .. test the water, he was very receptive and never makes an issue so now i just have to say 'oh dear im flapping ' and know he understands.

just do it girl ... just bite you lip and do it ,go to america , If I can .. you can too ! x
:)

shaz01
28-02-08, 19:50
Hi Celia,

I have only recently also wrote about my fears, I unexpectedly won a trip with some workmates to Paris, I go in about 11 days time and Im TERRIFIED, I have also flown before but things have also got worse for me.

My doctor has prescribed me diazepan for the flight but I need to have a trial run and to be honest I dont know if I want to take it or go without it (as Im worried I will panic more about the medication as well) anyhow I have been told to take the rescue remedy, water, mp3 player and a friend last night told me to suck on a lollipop, so I might try that one.

Its a shame that rather than looking forward to our trip that we have to spend so much energy worrying about it.

Good luck!!!

Shaz x