PDA

View Full Version : starting citrolapram 20mg

willitstop
04-02-08, 12:33
Hi all im new here
well my doc has prescribed 20mg a day of citrolapram as im suffering gad panick attacks and agoraphobia i am really struggling at the moment im always anxious and worrying about silly things that shouldnt worry me.
I want to take the meds but am scared of the side affects but if i dont do something i feel i will go crazy as it is constant now and dont know what else to do
please help xxx:confused: :weep:

maxine
04-02-08, 13:00
Hello,

Take the meds! I started taking them a couple of months ago, same problems you're suffering, and same dose prescribed, first week on them i did notice my anxiety levels went up a bit but to be honest by that point they couldn't get much worse!

I had no other side effects and i've found they have reallly helped me chill out a bit, i'm beginning to vemture back outside and stuff again.

Give it a try you've got nothing left to lose!

Good luck

Maxine

KCornwall
04-02-08, 13:18
Hi i started on 10mg of Citrolapram.... side effects were bareable.. just (headaches, feeling i may be sick).

Just been back to the docs today for my check up - been put on 20mg as anxiety feelings are coming back slowly (nothing like they used to be tho!).

I say start them and see how you get on.... i'm glad that i did wouldn't like to think how i'd be coping/feeling now if i wasn't on them

Good luck xx:)

doglover
05-02-08, 00:33
Hi
I started on 20mg end of december. They have really helped although i struggled for the first couple of weeks with heightened anxiety. I had some sleeping tablets to get me through. It was tempting to come off them but i am so glad i didn't. Im so much more relaxed now. I would say go for it. You might not even have any side effects. Not everyone does. If you are feeling terrible anyway, you haven't got anything to lose.
Good luck
Donna x

Dying_Swan
07-02-08, 01:31
Hi Willitstop, and welcome :)

I've been on Citalopram for over 2 years and it's really ok. Some people get on with it, some don't. All you can do is take it and see how you go.

The side effects I had were mainly a loss of appetite and insomnia. I'd had sleeping problems for years anyway though. I swapped to Citalopram from Prozac, which had given me bad effects. I don't think Citalopram ever really caused me any problems.

Once you start, it's important to give it about 6 weeks for the side effects to die down and the benefits to kick in. Keep in regular contact with your GP in the meantime, and discuss any problems with them.

Good luck,

xxx :flowers:

KCornwall
07-02-08, 11:04
3rd day on my increased dosage and i'm feeling very shakey this morning...... had a little attack last night and feeling i could have one any minute today in the office.

Still not sleeping great - does anyone have any tips on how to help this? x

Dying_Swan
07-02-08, 11:36
Hi KCornwall.

When did you start on the Citalopram?

You'll need to give it several weeks to settle down and see if it is helping at the higher dose.

Tips for sleeping:

Give yourself time to relax before you go to bed. Deep relaxation exercises can be great.

Warm baths, but not too hot, shortly before bed.

Don't exercise or eat dinner shortly before bed.

Limit your caffeine/alcohol/nicotine intake.

Make sure your bedroom is clean, comfortable, with the appropriate light and temperature.

There is a book I think is quite helpful called 'Overcoming insomnia and sleep problems'. I'm afraid I can't remember the author but it has a yellow/grey front and amazon stock it!

Talk to your GP and see if they can give you some further advice

xxx :flowers:

KCornwall
07-02-08, 17:17
i've been on them nearly 8 weeks now...... Sleeping is terrible and i'm thinking of changing my room around to see if that works and make it more comfortable.

Thank you for your tips... i will try and relax a little more before bed time - normally i work myself up knowing i'm not going to sleep well and that makes it worse i know!

Thank you again

x

sandbanks
07-02-08, 22:45
Go for it some people have a bit of a ruff time for week or so ,i did but was feeling so bad anyway, it didnt make a lot of diffrence, lots of people i spoke to before i started taking them, had no side effects at all, so think positive and your be fine,
i have had anxiety and panic on and off for 18 years. and now i feel so much better, i wish i had gone down this road year ago, i now have fear of fear panic, if i had taken these beforec i think i would of not let this panic develop so far. who nos!!!
Cornwell i had really bad shakes about day 3 but be day 5 it went. so stick with it im sure your start to feel better in a few days.
Willitstop yes hon it will go for it, and im sure within a few weeks your look at things in a whole new light. be strong and take care let us no how your getting on, u can always email me if u want to talk and u corwall. i can only go by how it was for me. but il help it i can.
take care all
sandy