PDA

View Full Version : RE: My experience with Citalopram

cl13
07-02-08, 17:17
Hello all

I have decided to write this as a few weeks ago I was scanning these threads looking for something to tell me that taking this medication would be ok and hopefully solve my problem.

I started suffering with anxiety about a month ago and decided to see the doctor as I had suffered before and wanted to "nip it in the bud" as they say.

The doctor prescribed 20 mg citalopram and i was nervous of taking it.. I was feeling bad enough so why did I want to feel worse!! The first few days I must admit made the anxiety worse, I felt sick and spaced out, but I found if I got up and faced the day, talked and even exercise (was even doing star jumps in my living room at one point lol!!) I could get rid of that "fear" that would be in my stomach as soon as my eyes opened.

I am now on day 11 of taking these and it feels like my life has now started to turn around, I can go out for a walk with out worrying and that "fear" I would wake up with has now gone!! Driving I must admit is still a bit hard, but I think that is because I am now relaxed and the concentration seems alittle hard at the mo!!

I would recommend that you give them a go if you are prescribed them, go with the flow if you can ( I know that is hard if you are feeling anxious!! maybe try some of the relaxation tech. on this site) but share your joys and worries with everyone on this site, talk when you can and you will get there!! you are not alone!!

Good luck everyone - there is light at the end of the tunnel ( I hope this thread helps someone!!)

love Claire:hugs:

sandbanks
07-02-08, 21:26
Thanks claire

i was the same as u been on citlopram for 4 weeks now and so much better, nearly back to me normal self,
its good that people give feed back because it helps so many people nmp for me has been a live saver.
well done i hope you continue to do well which i no u will, keep us posted

stay strong
sandy

celeste
07-02-08, 21:59
Thank you for describing your experiences.

I don't take citalopram. The last time i took a SSRI (seroxat) I flipped very badly & couldn't tolerate it at all.
I wonder if Citalopram would have the same effect. I really don't want to go to that dark place again. Especially now I'm on my own with the children.

But reading your posts makes me wonder whether I should try it, on a low dose to start obviously.

ladygrom
08-02-08, 09:05
hi i was on citalopram for 6 or 7 months the first 2 weeks my anxiety levels wer high but i coped i started on 10mg first 2 weeks then doc put me on 20mg ive never looked bk theve helped me soo much to get my life bk on track which i needed to do as i have 2 children.tc xxxx

hopeful
08-02-08, 10:11
Hi Claire, I too take citalopram,20mg weren't strong enough for me,I'm on 30mg and feel great.I thought I'd never feel better after trying all sorts of self help for years.I'm sure your post will help others to maybe try these.After all you dont know unless you try.
Hope you continue to feel better,I'm sure you will.
julie x :hugs:

Allye
08-02-08, 11:25
I too have been on Citalopram for about 6 weeks. Anxiety did increase initially but overall now I feel much calmer. I am still getting some physical anxiety symptoms but am better able to cope with them and I have not had an actual panic attack since I started them. In relation to the depression people have started to comment that I seem more happy than I have done over the last year so something must be working. I still find it hard to get up in the mornings but it is hard, not impossible like before.

Good health to you all.

SuziQ
11-02-08, 11:29
Hi Claire

I've been on 30 mg of Citalopram for 2 1/2 months now. It was certainly anxious times at the start, but am slowly getting there now. My main problem is when I leave the house, I just shake constantly, especially meeting new people. I wonder whether I should go back to see my doctor, as I am feeling more panic attacks and anxiety than anything else.

Does anyone else have these fear symptoms that I am suffering. ? My hands just shake constantly - it can be very embarrasing and I wish I could just stop it.

Thanks SuziQ

Kitty121
12-02-08, 16:17
Hi Claire

Thanks first of all for taking the time to post on this forum. I went to my doctor today and wa prescribed 20mg. I have never taken anything like this before so I am totally new to this. :scared15:

I started feeling anxious last week at work (doc thinks its been longer) and thought I could ride it out on my own but it has got too much for me now. I wanted to nip this one in the butt before I got worse. I force myself at the moment to carry on with day to day tasks and its a constant battle. :scared10:

Tomorrow will be my first tab as I had an afternoon appointment with doc.

I am lookng forward to feeling better. :)

Hope you are doing well:hugs:

kath
12-02-08, 19:05
Hi Claire,

I used to take citalopram 10mg twice a day and i got the most awfull headaches i couldn't keep my eyes open. I havn't taken them since November 07, When i am bad i take 10mg of propranalol.

Kath

honeybee3939
12-02-08, 19:10
Hi Claire

Great to hear that Citalopram as helped you get back on track, i know everyone is different when it comes to meds, but Citalopram realy helped me too. I have been off them now for a year, but i wouldnt esitate starting taking them again if i felt i was going downhill again.

Onwards and upwards for you from now on hun.:yesyes:

Andrea
xxxxxx

valeriej
14-02-08, 08:26
That's great news Claire thanks for telling us.

I've been taking 10 mg (couldn't tolerate 20 mg) for nearly 4 weeks now and can really notice the difference. I haven't felt so good for many years. Along with CBT which I've been doing for about 2 weeks things finally seem to be coming together. I still get a bit anxious to start with when doing my CBT goals but that's normal and on the whole it feels great.

Haven't needed any Diazepam for a few days now. :yahoo:

Just wanted to add that the GP gave me the prescription for Citalopram back in November when I was bad but I daren't take them until in January I became worse and felt I had to do something - now wish I'd started them last year.