PDA

View Full Version : Danger, long story..........

Charlie Girl
10-02-08, 00:25
Hi to all you friends that I haven't met yet, here's my story.

I have struggled with anxiety and depression since my childhood. Both my parents had psychological issues and this, coupled with some early abuse, meant that realistically I was never going to avoid it completely. I was prescribed with phenobarbitone by the time I was eight years old. I managed to get through my teenage years with the occasional help of drink and drugs but then, in my early twenties, both my parents died in fairly quick succession. The only other family member in England (the rest of the family live in Ireland) was my brother. About a year or eighteen months after my parents’ death, I developed severe anxiety for which I was prescribed Lorazepam. To cut a long story short(ish), I stayed on a fairly large dose of this for about 30 years until a couple of years ago, feeling very ill for many of those years. The positive effects of the drug had long since ceased and I later found that I had developed ‘withdrawal tolerance’ which is what was making me ill. I began a cross-over to Diazapam and then a schedule of gradual withdrawal over a period of almost 2 years. For the last couple of years, I had been pretty much fine.

Then, around 18 months ago my brother died following a long battle with cancer. I lived in his house with him for the last months of his life and could only watch helplessly as he deteriorated rapidly and became extremely ill, a very upsetting time as you can imagine. He and I were very close but, although I was of course extremely upset, my emotional state remained relatively stable at that time. I mention my brother’s death as I’m sure it has a bearing on what happened next.

I should mention at this point that I had a stroke 8 years ago (at the age of 44) which initially caused weakness of the left side but, over the years, had turned to mild spasticity in the limbs affected by the stroke.

About 6 months ago the anxiety began to return along with mild depression. My sense of humour (which has often been the only thing that has kept me going) flew out of the window, I became extremely fearful and experienced regular panic attacks. I didn’t want to see anyone or go anywhere and it began to seriously affect my quality of life. Some weeks ago I went to my doctor. I was reluctant at that point to address the anxiety with any kind of benzodiazepine so I decided to focus on the depression. My doctor prescribed citalopram. Four or five days into the course, I began to feel ill and to experience severe anxiety. Apart from the psychological effects of this, the relatively mild spasticity became much worse. My left arm, hand, knee and ankle began to contract to the extent that I now find it impossible to walk when anxious. After 11 days (2 weeks ago), I felt so ill and the anxiety was so extreme that I discontinued the citalopram. Since then, I have not felt as ill but the severe anxiety has remained, I’m in a constant state of tension, it feels like every muscle and sinew is on alert all the time, my breathing is constantly shallow, my neck hurts and I have a bad head, bad mood, blurred vision and a dry mouth with a tinny taste. I was put on prozac a couple of days ago in an effort to address the anxiety and the depression No side-effects (good or bad) so far. I haven’t been outside the house for weeks and, even if the ‘phone rings or I hear someone outside, I become so anxious that the spasticity worsens and I find myself unable to walk. Apart from anything else, I know from fellow stroke sufferers that if I allow the spasticity to continue, it could quite easily become permanent.

It is clear therefore that I now seriously need to address my anxiety problem. My main problem at the moment is that, because of how fearful I feel when anxious, coupled with the panic attacks and the fact that I am unable to walk when the panic kicks in, I am unable to go out. As the years pass and the number of years ahead dwindle, I am determined to make sure that I get all the help I can to enable me to be the person I know I can be and to enjoy the rest of my life. I visited a counsellor last year and, as soon as I am able to go out, I will go again, hopefully to learn some CBT techniques. Joining this marvellous site will, I’m sure, help greatly and I’m hoping that the prozac will contribute something too.

I’m 53 now and I want the rest of my life to be the best it can be, it's now or never. I hope to make some friends here and I hope that, together, we can march forward. Thanks for listening. Charlie Girl xx

sagey
10-02-08, 02:39
Holy Smoke Charlie, you've had a tough old time!.
Welcome to NMP and I hope you find the peace of mind and support you deserve.
Check out the links on the left and enjoy the relief at knowing that people understand what you are going through.

groovygranny
10-02-08, 08:41
Hello Charlie:welcome: to you!

Big hug for you:hugs: . What a horrendous time you've had.

I'm so glad you joined us tho - you won't regret it..... I haven't.

I'm also 53 and I know exactly what you mean about the sense of humour:blush: . Please, PM me any time if you want to chat ok?

You're never alone here - we cry together and laugh together and the support is second to none.

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

Lilith1980
10-02-08, 10:18
Hi Charlie, big warm welcome to NMP for you hun :D

Jo xxxxx

PUGLETMUM
10-02-08, 11:00
:) :hugs: hi charlie girl, gosh youve had a very rough time havent you? and youve coped with all of this - which in many ppls opinions makes you a very very strong person!!!! i saw a book on sheldon press website that explains that depression is an illness of the 'strong' - food for thought?

i would say that the fact you are having no negative side effects on the prozac is brilliant:yesyes: you can now wait for it to do its stuff i think? although the dosage may have to be tweaked with. obviously im no doctor and if you see no improvements in the anxiety/panic within 4-6weeks then you will have to have a review of this med. but the time it worked for me, i also had no side effects so this was a massive positive, because i have also had the same reaction to it that you had to citolopram, which i feel is a real shame, because now even if im really suffering i wont take them, when in fact i may be able to benefit short term. i would also say to try and get some talking therapy along side your meds, because my problem was that i was great for 2 years, but then had to discontinue use of them because of an unplanned pregnancy and i have really been struggling to a greater of lesser degree ever since, so i would suggest to tackle your emotional issues - to work out what is triggering your anxiety (although this is obviously to do with your history and your current circumstances - but ppl without complex histories still suffer, so its about how we deal with our thoughts, i believe, which is where cbt can help) as well as taking meds. i hope this helps? btw welcome to nmp and keep posting and getting support here:hugs: :yesyes: :flowers: take care emma

LucyA
10-02-08, 11:35
Hi Charlie girl,
Sorry to hear about what you've been through! Welcome to the site, I hope you find it as helpful as I do :)
Lucy xx

kellie
10-02-08, 11:50
a big warm :welcome: to you charlie :hugs: its great to have you here. what a hard time you have had hun and im sorry about it all. you have found a great place here where everyone gives out so much help. there is a great chat room where everyone is full of fun but always willing to help as well. come in and chat to us all when you feel ready. i wish you all the best charlie:yesyes: and im sure you will make lots of new friends here just like i have .
take care .

kellie :D

Lindalou64
10-02-08, 13:21
HELLO CHARLIE AND WELCOME I WISH YOU WELL........LINDA

trac67
10-02-08, 13:24
Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

chalky
10-02-08, 16:12
Hi Charliegirl,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Nibbles
10-02-08, 20:15
Hi Charlie Girl and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

BFG
10-02-08, 21:14
Hi Charlie Girl,

I am a new member myself and have found the people here totally down to earth and friendly. It is always nice to talk to people who have experienced similar symptoms to yourself and to that end I am sure this could be a great place for you to spend some quality time on yourself.

Reading through your story I have to say that for you to have gone through all of that and still have the drive and energy to continue to help yourself through makes you one of the bravest and strongest people I have come across.

Keep it up hun, and welcome!

BFG xxxxxxxxx

Hope 2
11-02-08, 00:06
Hi Charlie :yesyes:

Glad u joined . Thank the lord for the sense of humour I agree !
I am around most days, so be nice to chat sometime .

Bye for now
Hope x x

nomorepanic
12-02-08, 22:02
Hi Charlie

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

weeble40
13-02-08, 09:41
HI and a big welcome to NMP i hope to see around somewhere or come join us in chat, everyone is always made to feel welcome and lots of advice and support is offered, hope to see you there,

Take Care

Emmaxx

sarajane
13-02-08, 11:09
:welcome: Charlie girl, I'm so glad you decided to join NMP, you will meet lots of new friends here.

Welcome

Love

Sarajane

sulmare
13-02-08, 12:41
hi Charlie

I am relatively new here, and always find sharing with others who understand you and where you are coming from is an enormous help... NMP is a great place for sharing...

sounds like you have had a tough old time, *big hug*