PDA

View Full Version : Switching my health focus

davidr
10-03-05, 11:32
As someone who suffers with health based anxiety and who used to spend a lot of time on medical websites catastrophising my symptons I have found that switching my obsession (which it was) to focusing on how I can improve my health and researching this instead has made me able to cope more with the withdrawal and feelings of loss from a subject that controlled my life.

My mind still thinks I am taking control of my health problems which satiates my anxiety somewhat and I do not feel so lost without referencing a subject that was such a big part of my life.

Quick example: Blood pressure, I have my own monitor and read everything about blood pressure, sometimes my diastolic reading is above 90 so my anxiety kicks in and I panic that it is too high and my heart cannot take the strain etc and I will have a stroke. I would spend hours reading the minutiae of how this could kill me. Now I spend time on sites telling me how to reduce my blood pressure, how to control it and feel healthier and live longer which changes my association with the problem and although not eliminating my anxiety it does reduce it.

rachel25
10-03-05, 12:32
I think thats a really good idea david, and well done you for having a new focus on the road to recovery

Rach xx

sal
10-03-05, 13:08
Hi David

Thats great news, you are turning all the negatives into positives.

Well done mate.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

Meg
10-03-05, 17:30
Many panickers like to be fully in control and with our health we are not in control especially when something feels very wrong and none is listening or taking them seriously.

What you are doing David, is regaining this control by accepting - almost- what the experts have told you and are now educating yourself and exerting that control and anxiety in a wonderful positive way.

Congratulations.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
10-03-05, 20:03
David

Great news that you are turning it around to your benefit

Well done.

Nicola

davidr
12-03-05, 01:32
Thanks for that, just another coping strategy for me which others may be able to adapt and use.