PDA

View Full Version : advice needed re flying

shaz01
10-02-08, 22:15
Hi everyone,

I am going away with work next month for a few days to Paris......I never flew when I was younger however over the last few years I have been on 4 flights, the last one was only 50 minutes and it was a nightmare, I am so claustraphobic and I struggle so much with it. Also the palps/ectopics have been mega recently and this also worrys me.

It would have been easy just to turn it down however my aim is to get to Canada one day to my sisters so I know I cant back out otherwise it will be harder in the future.

I started CBT last week and I think I was looking for a 'miracle' which just isnt going to happen. I also was prescribed diazepan the last time I was to fly however because Im also the type of person who stresses about medication so Ive never taken it. Does anyone know if it does help? and what kind of effect it has on you?

I will take rescue remedy (are we still able to take this with the liquid restrictions on board?).

I think this time I seem to freaking more about it than I have before.

Anyone got any fab advice for me??

Shaz x

erialc
10-02-08, 22:24
I know just how you are feeling, flying is a huge issue for me but I still have to do it ............ need my holidays!!!

I always take a magazine and my ipod, the last time I went I had my ipod ready for take off - all my relaxing tunes and the air stewardess came over and said please turn that off for take off ............. grrrrrrr!

Im not sure about restriction on liquids now - maybe go on the net and have a look b4 you go :)

Hope you have a great trip

Claire xx

sagey
10-02-08, 22:46
Hi Shaz, if you've never taken diazepam before, then I suggest you have a trial with one or a half tablet before going on your trip so that you'll know how it affects you and then you won't get alarmed mid-air when you feel it kick in. I've had them in the past with zero ill effects, they just made me feel very relaxed and laid back! Drink plenty of water during the flight and take something to keep your mind occupied - puzzle book or a new novel. Good luck.

alexis
10-02-08, 23:25
Hi I dont go to Drs and I dont take tabs well, but i do like the sunshine, the first time i was offered valium for flying i was horrified, but I accepted it, I was told to try a 1mg (half tab) dose before my hols,,
I was prescribred 7 tabs (14mg)and I did lots of research but trust me, it helps, it doesnt knock you out but can relax, i have classical music and try to take reading and crosswords,I have been to Egypt too including internal flights,, I have stopped the vomiting with the valium.I aim for Australiaa next year to visit my daughter,Try it and enjoy the hols, I will again in a few weeks,xx

cece
11-02-08, 01:23
Cbt is wonderful but it takes a while for the new ways of thinking to take hold. I used to hate flying before I learned cbt and gained the skills that help me manage my anxiety. I hope you stick with it:D

shaz01
11-02-08, 16:32
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies....I will speak to the doctor and get some medication and have a trial run...also I will remember the mags and the music!!!! All great ideas..thanks.

I have my second session with the cbt tomorrow so I will try and go in feeling positive.

Shaz x

domino
11-02-08, 17:02
Diazapam, works for me too, paris in the spring how wonderful.5ml is good for me, i feel "chilled"not adviseable if your driving the other end.I.d love to get c.b.t. having trouble getting it where i live , been though my g.p. too.

Dave777
11-02-08, 18:17
Hi Shaz, I know exactly how you feel, it's a claustraphobic thing with me too.
I had flown many times before the problem started, haven't flown since.
My recent holidays have been by train, went to Rome and Florence last year.

Best wishes to you for your trip, the meds. should do the trick.

shaz01
11-02-08, 21:04
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replys.

I wish I could tell myself I will be fine however its just not happening at the moment, its amazing how scared you can feel about something...it would be so easy just not to go and not to have to worry about it. (the easy way out LOL).

Shaz x

alexis
11-02-08, 21:13
I am once again flying on 30th March, if i thinkabout it I FEEL

loopy loo
11-02-08, 21:19
Hi,
Just to say i am going on a flight phobia course on the 24th feb....so i will let you know if it was helpful. You might like to try it yourself!

Loopy Loo. x:)

alexis
11-02-08, 21:19
OOPS sorry , pressed the wrong button, I am flying agian on 30th March, just the thought makes me feel sick, I try to forget all about it until the day I go, I also take blu tac, its surprising how much it helps to twiddle something, an elastic band does the same,
Im not sure what others think, but I think the short flights are the worst.
I love whats at the other endxxx

franfhm
11-02-08, 23:36
I'm sure you'll be fine! I'm flying to Australia on Wednesday, a little anxious about it but excitement is taking over now :)

coxwit
18-02-08, 14:04
I would like to thank all who have posted here....it is aimed right at me....my wife booked a trip to the Dominican Republic leaving on February 29th with the "I have to have a holiday somewhere hot" line....I have been in a state ever since. I used to fly a lot with the job and had some bad flights plus overall General Anxiety has gotten worse over the years....sooooo...result is now the thought of flying makes me a basket case, Last time I flew in 2004 was for work 3 hours Toronto to Winnipeg and I "came down with an ear infection" so that I could take the train back....as the flight there freaked me out enough...I have been on Prozac now for 4 weeks but I guess it hasn't kicked in for the anxiety yet...I have Clonazapam at night to help me sleep but think I need a stronger dose for the flight....anyone else with some last minute suggestions that I can implement in two weeks?

Thanks

Andy

ksmith
18-02-08, 16:12
I just flew to Spain and back (after 10 years of refusing to fly). I took a 10mg Diazipan which seemed to have no effect as I think the adrenalin was just 'eating it up'. I hated it but I did it and I think that's the best it's gonna get for me. I had an Ipod, bottle of water, rescue remedy as well and I watched the crew to make the time past. I think that if the crew look happy and are going about their business then the plane's probably OK.

I only went coz I wanted to take my dad who's been ill to the sun. So, that sort of gave me the strength. Can you find some reason which is bigger than your fear of flying? It might just give you the motivation to get on the plane.

Hope you manage it.

Kay

coxwit
18-02-08, 16:28
Thanks Kay,

I'm hoping to put on a brave face for my 3 year old and five year old so that they don't see Daddy is a basket case on the plane. I'll try to concentrate on the fun down there and get a large dose benzadiazapam maybe combine with some Gravol and it might really help.

Andy

shaz01
18-02-08, 17:56
Hi Andy,

When do you go? I still have a three weeks however I think that I am thinking about it every time I have a spare minute.

Im going to the doctor on Thursday so Im going to speak to him about the diazepan.

We WILL be fine....................aaagghhh.

Shaz x

Southern_Belle
18-02-08, 21:23
Hi,

I also am scared to death of flying yet I continue to do it. This last flight was almost from the east coast to the west coast of the USA. Last summer I also flew to Paris! I finally figured out that I had wasted 20 years by staying at home and not traveling and for me personally I wanted to see the world.

I do take a small amunt of Klonopin during flights and listen to music when I am able to. I read magazines as I can't concentrate long enough to read books. Puzzles are real good to take your mind off of scary things. I also like to wear ear plugs during take off and landings as the noises tend to scare me. If you are claustrophobic, my advice is to save, save, save and fly first class - that way you have more space to move about. If you wait until 24 hrs before your flight you might be able to bump up to first class cheaper. Have a great time!

Laura

giddy
19-02-08, 12:51
Hi - you can take rescue remedy on a plane but make sure you declare it at check in so they can put it in a little bag for you. I didn't do this last time I flew and had it taken off me at the security point.
I always make sure I have lots of water (bought after I've been through security) and puzzles like suduko to do. Are you travelling with other people? Sittiing by someone you can talk to alot helps too, as you'll be so busy talking you'll forget where you are!
I get claustrophobic too and find an aisle seat is the best or if they've not already gone, a seat by the emergency exits because you get loads more leg room.

coxwit
19-02-08, 13:22
Hi Shaz,

I'm leaving on the 29th (Feb)...still going to see the Doctor....this rescue remedy sounds good as well as maybe some Sudoku....there have been some good suggestions here.

Andy

shaz01
20-02-08, 18:03
Hi everyone,

You had all had so many good suggestions, I just hope when the time comes that I will be fine and I will be wonder what all the stressing was about.....oh well maybe LOL.

My doctors appointment is tomorrow, I have to get my bp checked (maybe a bad week as work is stressful) however Im also going to discuss the possibility of taken medication before the flight.

Andy - good luck for the 29th.....you can come back and tell me how it was (are you back by the 10th)?

Shaz x

coxwit
20-02-08, 18:26
Hey Shaz,

All the best to you to. All going well we should be back by the 6th.

God Bless

Andy

shaz01
12-03-08, 22:05
Hi everyone,

Well thats me been to Paris and we flew out on Monday, yep in the storms and back today in more high winds. It was a private charter and as I had had prevously mentioned to the company about my claustraphoba (as the hotel had 18 floors) they also let me sit in the aisle seat at the front with more room, however I so wanted to go and be fine and although I have managed it, it was still a massive struggle.

I took a diazepam and I think it did calm me down possibly a little however is there ever going to be a time Im going to manage this without feeling so bad....????

I dont even think the wind bothered me it was all about being trapped, I did try and shut my eyes and sleep and every so often my mind would start wondering how I was going to get out but I did stay in control therefore it was positive.

Came back this afternoon and back at work tomorrow however I must say I feel totally exhausted with it all!

Can I also ask if anyone else suffer from like a prickly face, Im presuming its like hyperventilating, although I was hot in the airport then walking up the stairs to the plane in the wind may have annoyed me (change of temperature and sensitive skin)...however I had this most of the trip and I even felt it over my nose etc....does anyone else ever get this?? I got it both ways.

Shaz x

Joanna
13-03-08, 23:37
Just thought I'd let you know that Rescue Remedy is now available in tablet form (which you are able to take on the plane!!) Have just seen it in Sainsburys!!!!

cece
14-03-08, 22:44
Happy to hear your trip went well :)

bubbleblitt
19-03-08, 15:37
I've had a fear of flying for years, especially long haul and have flown lots of times but it is scary for me.I try and stop drinking all tea and coffee a few weeks before a flight and drink water or camomile tea only.I use Rescue remedy and they give you a small plastic wallet to take it through and the bottles or sprays contain less than 100mls so that will be ok.
Also, I've found that if you listen to a relaxation CD every single day before you fly it helps you to get into a routine of relaxing and getting your breathing under control.I always fly with Virgin and last year before the flight I told them at the check in how anxious I was and the staff were fantastic with me.The Crew on the jet knew too and were really kind and kept an eye on me.They even got the pilot to come and chat to me on the return flight just before we landed!

shaz01
21-03-08, 00:30
Hi bubble,

Thanks, thats interesting, I dont know when there will be another flight!!! however I will keep it all in mind.

Shaz x