PDA

View Full Version : Drug phobia

ZoeG
11-02-08, 06:39
I have a drug phobia concerning taking any new drug. I'm always afraid I'll have some kind of horrible allergic reaction. I've never had an allergic reaction to a drug before so there is no real logical reason for me to have this fear.

It's not just prescription drugs, it's any drug I haven't taken before. The most recent is "Claritin" which is now over the counter. I'm not sure if this drug is in the UK or not, but it's an antihistimine. What heightens this anxiety is a warning label on the back that says "If you have an allergic reaction to this product, seek medical help immediately"

I need to get over this fear so I can take something that will help me with my seasonal allergies.

bet
11-02-08, 11:08
I have this problem also.I often resort to cutting tablets in half just in case I have an allergic reaction.I had a few terrible experiences with antidepressants in the past so now even taking a vitamin supplement or anything I havent taken before can set me in to a spin.

What I have found that has helped get this fear under control Is EFT.I only have the basic tapping sequence but has it really helped.

bet x

shaz01
11-02-08, 16:46
Hi Zoeg,

Same here, I do take antibiotics if I have to and paracetamol if I have a headache (lol although I only use a certain brand...paranoid or what lol) anyhow as far as antihistimane go I just sneeze all through the summer, its so silly that I just dont take them.

Shaz x

Nervy_of_catford
11-02-08, 22:34
Hi there ZoeG,

I avoid taking meds because I am emetophobic, and terrified that a drug might make me feel / be sick.

Clarityn is available in the UK. It's generic name is loratidine. Generally speaking, it is a very safe medication. I have a friend that mistook it for chlorpheniramine (a different anti-histamine that you take 3 or 4 times a day), and took it accordingly, with no negative effects, and her GP didn't worry too much. Not that I suggest you do similar, but just to say it is very safe.

Loratidine doesn't work for me - it knocks the allergy out for a couple of hours, then my symptoms come back, so I take a more "old fashioned" drowsy, multiple dose anti-histamine that works really well for me, and I can tolerate the sedating effects. It is also an anti-emetic, so reduces that anxiety!

Anyway, if you are concerned about a medication, a pharmacist, particularly a hospital pharmacist is usually very good to talk to, rather than a GP or other doctor.

Best wishes

Robin

ZoeG
12-02-08, 02:40
Thanks guys.

What is EFT?

I think the idea about taking half the dose first is a good idea. That's good common sense that if I'm allergic I'll have less of a reaction with a smaller dose at first.

Right now I'm cycling sudafed and benadryll. Taking one for two weeks then the other for two weeks, that way I don't build too much of either up in my system and lose effectiveness.

When I work up the nerve I'll try the claritin. It takes me awhile to work up the nerve because I don't think there's really much anyone can say to help me because I understand the rarity of what I'm afraid of. It still doesnt' change that I could end up being one of those people.

I'm also going to try other ways to manage allergies, such as controlling my home environment and using air purifiers. I'm finding exercise is helpful too and a better diet.

I may end up taking the Claritin though, it just takes me awhile. It once took me 8 months to take an antidepressant because of this fear. Later I learned that diet changes and exercise could be just as effective so I weaned off and did that. It took me a couple of months to work up to trying natural progesterone cream for a hormonal imbalance.

I've considered hypnosis tapes but I don't know if they actually do any good. I figured if I could just change my thought patterns about it, maybe it wouldn't be such an issue.

bet
12-02-08, 13:24
EFT is emotional freedom technique.Its a sequence of tapping energy points.It helps with fears/phobias.

I use "the basic recipe"which is just the basic tapping points and it has helped.You can find it in the free download manual at www.emofree.com (http://www.emofree.com)

Its worth a try

best of luck

bet:)

Cacaroja
21-02-08, 02:28
I have this problem to a lesser degree. One thing I find that helps is if I am starting a new medication is to take it in front of someone until you feel comfortable taking it.