PDA

View Full Version : New user - same old story

Angie
11-02-08, 19:34
Yes the one we all know. Anxiety and panic...I am what I would consider a level headed person in a loving relationship with 2 great kids a nice home and a (fairly) satisfying job. So why after 39 years of living with no obvious reason does a panic attack strike out of the blue?

I have since come to understand that I am what is termed a 'people pleaser' perhaps or probably neglecting my wants and needs.

So time for some changes, the difficult part, building in time for me without feeling guilty for doing so. Small steps, but it is working, my anxiety is not so acute. I can now see it and the panic attacks for what they are, acceptance - the road to recovery? I think so.

As someone once said life is the journey not the destination, we must take pleasure in the moment; find something in each day to behold. Now I talk to people, to the checkout operator, to the lady you pass in the street, to the gentleman you collect the horse manure (don't ask!) from and guess what - it helps. They talk to you back and that makes you feel good.

So I am winning and as so many have said this site is absolutely invaluable, here I have found my answers, answers that none of the health care professionals seemed able to give. Here I have found that we are all normal people who are suffering from high levels of anxiety.

For me the journey goes on but I am damned if I will let it beat me. This has happened to me for a reason and I will make it a positive experience. I will see the beauty in each day, the love in my family, the good nature of the world in general. If I could just understand why this has happened to me then I am sure I can be a better person for it.

Wow did I say all that....hope it makes sense and hope it strikes a chord with someone, there is hope

Lilith1980
11-02-08, 19:57
Hey Angie, welcome to NMP :)

I can certainly relate to the "People Pleaser" thing - me too, and most of the time its to the detriment of myself!!

You'll find loads of support and advice on here, I'm sure everyone will tell you this site is a godsend :D

Jo xxxxx

groovygranny
11-02-08, 20:05
Hello Angie:welcome: to you!

What a great positive attitude you have, and I agree entirely! :yesyes:

I spent nearly 50 yrs as a PP - and now I'm learning how to please myself....crikey, feels awkward just typing that lol! But I'm sure you know what I mean!

It's good to have you here - I'm very pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

Wolfie
11-02-08, 23:56
Hi Angie!!

Welcome to NMP!!! :) :) :)

You will find tons of help and support here!

Hope to speak to you soon.

Wolfie xx

manmoor
12-02-08, 09:45
Hi Angie,

A big warm welcome to you. Keep up the positive attitude hun thats the spirit. xx

Lindalou64
12-02-08, 11:11
HELLO ANGIE AND WELCOME...YOU SOUND LIKE A VERY POSITIVE PERSON......AND I KNOW YOU WILL BEAT THIS ,I WISH YOU WELL........LINDA

kellie
12-02-08, 11:45
hiya angie :welcome: to nmp. its great to have you here and lovely to here you talking so positive :yesyes:. i can tottaly relate to the people pleaser as that is me all over. i feel guilty when i say no, and have a habit of saying yes when i so wanted no to come out of my mouth. im working on that problem to. it will be great to talk to you in the chat room so hope to see you there soon.

take care.

kellie.

chalky
12-02-08, 15:58
Hi Angie,
Welcome to the Forum.
:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Learning to say no to people has been a biggie for me. People pleasing has always been vital for me.Time has given me the opportunity to change but it's still in my nature to say yes first and live with regret later.At least I'm learning!! lol
Best wishes,
Chalky

weeble40
12-02-08, 16:00
HI Angie and welcome to NMP,

I love your post and wish I could take on your attitude, Im somewhat of a people pleaser person to, hope to see you around somewhere or maybe have a yarn in chat

Take Care

Emma xx

Ellevie
12-02-08, 21:25
Hi

I am new to this site too and I understand what you are saying, to the outside world it seems like what have wegot to be anxious about, but its things inside. I have been reading loads of the posts on the forum and we all have our own little things, but in general it is amazing that there are so many people out there who have the same feelings as we do.

I really hope that you too will get some help from this site as I am hoping that I will as well...good luck :)

nomorepanic
12-02-08, 21:51
Hi Angie

Just wanted to :welcome: you to NMP and hope we can be of some help.

Lovely to see you here.

trac67
13-02-08, 17:11
Hi Angie,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Angie
13-02-08, 17:39
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I feel like I know you all as I have been reading the posts for sometime before I had the confidence to post myself. I think I have probably read the site from top to bottom too as everything makes so much sense. Perhaps it should be available as an NHS complimentary treatment!

nikita
13-02-08, 17:46
Thanks for that Angie. I too am a people pleaser and Im always telling myself that im going to be different, and not let others walk on me etc, but I never change, fear I suppose. But I really needed to read what you wrote today and it cheered me up on what is a lonely, long day today. Thanks.

Angie
13-02-08, 17:50
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I feel like I know you all already as I have been reading the posts for sometime before I had the confidence to post. I have also read the entire contents of NMP as everything makes so much sense, it should be available on the NHS!

Angie
13-02-08, 17:51
oops did I put that on twice, just too excited see......