PDA

View Full Version : Hyperventilating - or not?

ChristopherJ
12-02-08, 01:32
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie. I have a question about breathing and panic attacks. I have read that hyperventilating can be part of a panic attack - indeed, can bring one on. Well, OK, I can understand that - but I can't work out when or if I am hyperventilating - or is it normal strong breathing?

Thing is, one trigger for my panic attacks is physical exercise. So my heart beats faster and I breathe quicker - but then it can all go haywire and I start getting all the panic thoughts about having a heart attack and my breathing is heavier than normal. It quickly escalates into major panic attack.

I am trying to work out if my heavy breathing (hyperventilating?) is bringing on the panic attack or not. Or is it at least making it worse? And how do I control my breathing? I've tried breathing slower, but I don't know what is fast and what is slow.

Hope I'm making sense here. Love to all of you. :flowers:

Bill
12-02-08, 04:36
Hello Christopher,

I start getting all the panic thoughts about having a heart attack and my breathing is heavier than normal. It quickly escalates into major panic attack.

It's Not how you're breathing that's the problem, it's what you're "thinking".

1) You begin to exercise,
2) your heart rate quickens,
3) you feel it thudding,
4) you start "thinking" what if you cause yourself to have a heart attack
5) your adrenalin starts pumping
6) you feel your heart thudding even more
7) you begin to "worry" because of the sensations of a thudding heart due to the adrenalin being produced.
8) your breathing quickens and becomes shallow
9) you experience a panic attack

So in other words it's your "worry" about having a heart attack that creates adrenalin making your heart thud louder which then makes you worry even more about having a heart attack which then causes you to panic making your breathing quicken which then causes your panic attack.

You need to remind yourself that your raised heart rate is a Natural reaction to the exercise you're performing and concentrate on taking deep breaths whilst you exercise.

If you begin to worry, stop exercising and let your heart rate come down before re-commencing your exercise.:winks:

Wenjoy
12-02-08, 14:53
So true what you have said - I hyperventilate a lot and get worked up if I am hot and in a stuffy atmosphere and I panic that I cant take a deep breath and end up panic breathing and getting tingling in my hands. I have learnt to relax my breathing and focus on something else and eventually it passes. So try not to worry - ignore it or turn and face it by saying " Go on - Do you best - I am NOT afraid" it helps. Wenjoy x

chalky
12-02-08, 15:21
Hi Christopher,

I agree with Bill.The problem lies in your thinking not your heart.Common sense would dictate that your heart-rate increases during exercise.The issue then becomes how our mind interprets this-usually erroneously.It will take time for you to come to associate this heart response with healthy,productive thoughts.Keep reassuring yourself and the message will get through.
As Bill says,have a little break if need be.
Physical exercise is a great way of improving our mental health so well done for being pro-active.
Best wishes,
Chalky

ChristopherJ
13-02-08, 01:02
Thank you for the replies - especially Bill. That helps me to understand what is going on. BTW - by 'exercise' I didn't mean keep-fit sort of stuff; I just meant things like a long walk, or walking up a hill - that kind of thing.

Anyhow - I will try to steer my thoughts away from the fearfulrut that I often get stuck in - and toward something more positive.

Thanks again.