PDA

View Full Version : cautious about starting citalopram

bet
12-02-08, 22:11
I've decided to try Citrol(citalopram as hydrobromide)The doctor suggested 20mg eventhough 10mg is the normal starting dose for panic disorder according to the patient info leaflet.

I will start with 10mg.many people say it made their anxiety worse in the beginning.I know everybody is of different of course but is this anxiety like feeling really anxious or full blown panic attacks?

I think between the doctor telling me "it will probably make you worse" and prescribing 20mg instead of 10 has made very cautious.

bet:)

sandbanks
13-02-08, 00:00
Hi
I Had A Bit Of A Ruff Time When I Started, But To Be Fair My Anxeity And Panic Was So Bad Anyway, I Would Of Prob Been The Same With Out Meds, I Started On 10mg For 2 Weeks Then Went Up To 20mg Been On Them 5 Weeks Now And Feel So Much Better, I Was Worried About Taking Them Have Had Anx And Panic On And Off For 18 Year Never Taken Meds Before, Asked A Lot Of Poeple About Them, And Was Suprised As Some Were People I Have None For A Long Time And Never New They Were On Meds, Had More Positive Feed Back Than Negative, And A Lot Of Poeple Had No Side Effects At All.
Im Glad I Went With It, Wish I Had Done It Years Ago, Then Maybe Anxeity Would Not Have Got So Bad.

Good Luck
And Keep Us Posted
Sandy

pete69
13-02-08, 09:55
sandy,
you make a good point when u say my anxiety was so bad that you would of been the same without meds.
lets not pretend they will work miracles,some people hate having any sort of anxiety and want to get rid of it asap-hence take a tranx.
but ..and this is for you really bet....if you can see the long term picture,they may make you feel crap and anxious and vivid dreams,and every other symptom on the leaflet,but if you can get through the worst of it-say 20 days(and 20 days aint long considering all of us have had anxiety for many years)..they may just help you.
a lot of it depends on your lifestyle...if you have to work and interact maybe on a daily basis with a lot of people.being anxious on the meds wont help will it.and its not the same as being anxious in general because to somepart you have control over that,relaxation techniques etc,but if the meds make you anxious no relaxation will stop it.

bet..reading back on this it seems im giving very bad press to a drug that has helped a lot of people,im only talking from my experience from it that it didnt help me because i couldnt stick it out long enough as the side effects won....prozac didnt do anything for me,not even side effects!,....and seroxat was fine first time around but i have since tried again and am getting the same bad effects as the citalopram.....so i have given up on ssris but hey give it a go -like i say 20 days may be the worst but then it can only get better..if after 6 weeks you feel crap still and no sign of improvements--stop taking them -there not for you.

my shrink said all ssris are the same family like a human family.
but we all have different parts of us that make us individual,so they are never completley the same -so if one doesnt work "we try another" he said ...thx doc-15mins in your office to give me them words of wisdom:yesyes:

anyway i wish you luck and keep us posted

lets be careful out there...
pete

hopeful
13-02-08, 11:20
Hi Bet,
Glad you're going to give them a try.I started on 10mg and felt very spaced out to begin with,but I'd read about this and found that if I kept doing what I was doing then the feeling passed.I also felt more anxious for about 2 weeks,and also when I increased the dose.I also felt sick a lot of the time,the trick there was to eat something and the sickness passed.The side effects did pass for me and I'm SO glad I stuck with it.I'm now on 30mg since late November and feel wonderful.
I really hope they work for you Bet and good on you for giving them a try.Keep us posted.:hugs:
julie x:hugs:

bet
13-02-08, 11:42
thanks guys for the replies.I will let you know how it goes.

Bet x

doglover
13-02-08, 12:15
Hi
i started on 20mg and felt really anxious for about 2 weeks, 6 weeks on i feel soooo much better. I haven't had any pa's since i started taking it.
Good luck and try to stick with it as it will hopefully be worth it for you too.
Donna x

Kitty121
13-02-08, 19:47
Hiya bet

I had my first tablet ever today. Doc has started me on 20mg and I have felt anxious all day. :unsure:

1 step at a time mate is the advice so far. I have read alot of comments on this forum and I am going to give it a good go. They all say the first 2 weeks were rough but 2 weeks is short compared to the suffering we have all gone through in the past.

I want this anxious, nervous feeling to go away and I don't want to panic like I have been anymore.

I am pleased I have gone through day one without too much trauma. :D

Kitty x

bet
13-02-08, 19:59
thanks kitty and well done on day 1.

I know I will muster up the courage to start on my 10mg in the next few days.

Bet:hugs:

cl13
14-02-08, 12:35
Hi there

Well done for taking the first step!!:yesyes: and getting help....

I suffered with a lot of side effects when I first started taking them, esp increased anxiety, I am now about 2 1/2 weeks into the treatment and it has eased off. I think some of the problem with anxiety and treatment is that you read about all the side effects and you "watch" yourself to see if you have them. But try and take each day as it comes, (which is easier said than done when the anxiety is kicking in!!) but talk/cry to friends, family and everyone on this site and you will get there, you are not alone.

Good luck

Clairex

KCornwall
14-02-08, 16:37
Hi all

I was on 10mg for nearly 8 weeks and my panic attacks came back - not as bad as before...but slightly over the slightest of things. So 2 weeks ago i went to the docs and she put me up to 20mg to see how i'm going! feeling better, but had an attack on the first day of upping doseage - probs to do with a terrible day in the office! but feeling tonnes better already.

I still get side effects with my new increased of dose but know what to expect and look out for - i suffer from sickness feeling, unable to sleep well. I just don't like the weird dreams i have (like my friend cooking the last piece of bacon at the weekend and not having any left for my weekend brekkie treat! - it sounds silly i know).

my councillor advises me to relax fully before going to bed, which is really helping me!

I hope you get on ok! let us know how your getting on.

xx

joannap
14-02-08, 20:54
i have been on citalopram for 4 months - i felt HORRENDOUS for the first 2 weeks but there again i was in a pretty bad state anyway but i had constant mind chatter and sleeplessness that i felt i may tip over the edge with - if you do get side effects just try and see past them. also - don;t expect miracles overnight - every day i was like "am i feeling better" and at times i felt i was going backwards again - i would say it took at least 3 months before i felt real improvement and i also had to do a lot of work on myself such as sheer acceptance of symptoms and changing my thought patterns. i was on citalopram years ago but did not notice side effects then. i did however feel terrible when i started on lustral in my twenties so some times i have side effects and sometimes not. they do pass however so stick with it.

ps - i started on the full 2omg dose too - better to get the side effects over with in one go i think! x

Kitty121
14-02-08, 23:03
Hi Bet

Kitty here again and day 2 is easier than day one for me. You will be ok. comments from claire, hopeful and doglover only to name a few have helped me in making my decision to go with the treatment as I was like you very nervous. I still am but i have started now and i'll keep you posted.

i'll check in over the weekend. take care all.

Kitty xx

Big Bird
18-02-08, 08:47
Hi All,

Very reassuring in reading your comments concerning this SSRI.
I had made good progress since falling poorly last July but the anxiey left me with this reacurring depression which would strike me almost out of the blue rendering me tearful, lost, pretty much all that goes with it.
I had tried STW and have conducted myself well in hope of recovery without the aid of medication but finally decided to head back to see my GP and discuss the problem once more.(Hint: try to write down all the salient points-its helps enormously when in the surgery)
I was prescribed 20mg dosage of Citilopram and I am now into Day-4.
I totally concur with everything discussed; am feeling nauseous, more anxiety and at times, pretty rotten but have to stick this out in the hope things will improve.
I will try to chart my ongoing progress along wth you all if that is OK.
best wishes everyone - we deserve our peace.:hugs:

hopeful
18-02-08, 09:40
Good idea big bird,we can all compare and reassure each other.I was like you,tried all sorts of self help before finally going onto citalopram.20mg is a high dose to start on,I started on 10mg,but if you can bear the side effects then you should be ok.

hopeful
18-02-08, 09:42
Bet, have you taken the plunge yet?
Kitty,how you doing?

bet
18-02-08, 13:37
Thanks hopeful.

I havent taken the plunge yet.I have been havin such probs with dizziness and just feeling not right physically I didnt start.today is the best i've felt in 3 weeks physically.any one of these days now I shall commence LOL.

hope you are doing well hun

bet:hugs: :hugs:

hopeful
18-02-08, 15:49
Thanks Bet,I'm doing well,still feeling good.
Sorry you've not been well,glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.Keep us posted when you start the meds.Take care.

Big Bird
19-02-08, 08:28
Day-5.

Rather uncomfortable night although I managed some good quality sleep. Still feeling nauseous and have a mild headache this morning. Also feeling slightly on-edge but feel I can cope with the present side effects in respect of a bigger picture.
Would like to hear anyones comments on how long some of these symptoms seem to last although I appreciate we are all different.

keep Smiling everyone,

:hugs:

(roy)

hopeful
19-02-08, 09:03
Hi Roy,
For me the nausea lasted 10 days,I found if I ate something it went off.Ginger biscuits are quite good for nausea.Trouble was,I didnt have any appetite,I had to force myself to eat.
It was 8 weeks before I felt back to 'normal'.It was a gradual improvement,some days I would feel anxious then another day calm,and then back to anxious again.I took rescue remedy when the anxiety was bad which helped.
I am now on 30mg,have been since November and coping/feeling better than I have for years.
Give it a good go.I hope it works for you as well as it has for me.

cl13
19-02-08, 09:50
Hello all

It is great to here everyone experiences to know that we are not alone and hopefully we can help each other!!

I am now 3 weeks into taking the meds, and I feel much better. I still have a little feeling of anxiety in the morning, but I find if I just get on with the day it will go in about an hour. My drowiness has passed ( I have a 13 week old baby so I am not sure if it was getting up with her aswell that made it worse!!) and I am more "with it", as for the actual anxiety during the day.. it has gone, (fingers crossed)!!

My doctor said to look at the recovery process like the back of a dinosour ( yep strange I know!!) but if you start at the tail, you will have to go up and down to finally get to the top!! Try and take each day at a time, if you do have a bad day, don't beat yourself up over it.. it will pass....

Good luck everyone and keep us updated:winks:

love Claire x

Big Bird
20-02-08, 08:11
Day-6

Good Morning all,

So, into another day. After waking with the nauseous feeling yesterday and the obigatory headache, I managed to force myself into the day and it proved to be the correct decision. I really do believe one of the main ways forward for us is to seize the moment(sort of Carpe Diem)and try to assume a positive mindset as this can spiral upwards as fast as negativey can spiral down.
Anyway, I felt better for it although I am sure the benefits of the Citalopram have certainly not managed to kick in yet.
I take my 20mg does between 4-5pm and have reasoned the optimum effect has kicked in some four hours later so; with what had occurred on the previous nights I expected the pounding head and uneasy feeling that went with it.....................Glad to report, no headache at all and the uneasy feeling had diminished also. I slept pretty well despite waking for an hour in the middle of the night.
Have awoken today with what I can only describe as a 'flu-like' feeling. A little weak and dizzy but am hopeful I am now into another transition.
Is this how the chain of events has unfolded for anyone?

Here's wishing evryone a great day and much love..............back tomorrow.

:hugs: :hugs:

(roy)

Big Bird
21-02-08, 08:59
Day-7

Nearly completed the first seven days now and last night was a 'toughy'.
Have very intense anxiety feeling throughout (hope this will leave me soon?)
and at times throughout yesterday evening I was almost climbing the walls.
That said, I slept well, had a sort of head shock in the middle of the night but that did not bother me really and am again on edge this morning.
It feels as if the tablets are deeper into me now but I suppose they should be after six days and I am in a transient stage.
For one who enjoys his food I have also lost my appetite and together with the anxiety I have this constant tightness in the gut. Still have some nausea but coping with it all in hope of better things to come...............
It is hard but I hope it's worth it!

Love to all,

(roy)

Kitty121
21-02-08, 14:38
Hey there big bird

I know how you feel. I have experienced the sudden awakening in the middle of the night. Also loss of appetite well not completely. my meals are smaller. I am on day 9. I have had a few days of feeling nausious. I have been keeping positive and it helps.

Have a great day too
:hugs: :yesyes: . :hugs:

I'll be back xx

Big Bird
22-02-08, 08:08
Day-8

Thank you Kitty, nice to hear from someone on a similar trail. I enjoyed a fairly peaceful day and found that many of the side effects I have been experiencing have subsided a little giving me a very comfortable night.
Have awoken this morning with no headache, little or no nausea and feeling (dare I say it)OK! Nothing miraculous has occurred and if I'm truthful, it is much like I felt before taking them but maybe it is a leveling out or something.
In fact I feel a little nervous about not feeling nervous if anyone can relate to this:winks: :winks:

The only problem I foresee is that I have awoken like this at times only for the morning to disintegrate and leaving me very tearful and emotional - This is what I would like to conquer.

Do hope evryone has a lovely day,

Much love to all

(roy):hugs: :hugs:

hopeful
22-02-08, 09:47
Hi Roy,

Sounds like you're getting there.I too lost my appetite for a while but it returned eventually.I lost nearly a stone in weight but since my appetite returned I've stopped losing.
"I feel a little nervous about not feeling nervous". I can totally relate to this.Its as though the anxiety is there under the surface waiting to pounce.The good news is that it stays where it is and after a while that feeling disappears.I really feel as though a miracle has happened to me.I hope you begin to feel that way too.Just give it more time.8 days is just the beginning.It gets better and better.
julie x :hugs:

Big Bird
22-02-08, 10:23
Hi Julie,

Many thanks - it's very reassuring. I look forward to the improvement.

take care

:hugs: :hugs: x

(roy)

Hi Roy,

Sounds like you're getting there.I too lost my appetite for a while but it returned eventually.I lost nearly a stone in weight but since my appetite returned I've stopped losing.
"I feel a little nervous about not feeling nervous". I can totally relate to this.Its as though the anxiety is there under the surface waiting to pounce.The good news is that it stays where it is and after a while that feeling disappears.I really feel as though a miracle has happened to me.I hope you begin to feel that way too.Just give it more time.8 days is just the beginning.It gets better and better.
julie x :hugs:

Big Bird
23-02-08, 14:39
Day-9

Something of a backward step today although I expect this for a few days. Had a good afternoon yesterday and actually felt like my old self for a few hours! How good a feeling is that???
After taking my 20mg dose though I developed some anxiety and nausea again which is pretty much as I am today. Oh well never mind...another day - another dollar!!
lets see what tomorrow brings, I am hopeful things are turning for the better.

Love to all

(roy)

Richie
24-02-08, 19:30
Hi there Big Bird
Its interesting to read your posts and how you are getting on, like you have just started taking 20mg dose of citalopram this is only my 3rd day now so getting a bit nervy about side effects and same time praying for a miracle. That they will help in time
I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us Big Bird x
Love from Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Big Bird
25-02-08, 08:42
Days -10, 11.

Good Morning/evening/afternoon, to everyone:winks:

Day 10, A reversal of the previous day in many respects. I actually showed signs of my old self on Friday but for most of Saturday I was in a strangely subdued world. Not anything really bad or disconcerting, just that the wondrous feeling of being somewhat 'released' for a few hours the previous day had probably become the marker or level. I didn't panic however and think; ' Oh this is a temporary joy and all I'll get' , I stuck the day out again and despite the nauseous feeling I took my med. at the same time and saw the rest of the day out in search of another tomorrow!

Through the night I slept really well ( I am sleeping much better now) and woke feeling edgy but generally OK on,

and so it went on. I improved as the day went forward and felt the black cloud actually lifting by mid day. It was a pivotal moment I feel and confirmed the fact that these tablets do work. The day was definately the best yet and it gives me so much hope. I will not be running before I walk mind as I understand there will be 'down' days as progress is made. These are still early days but the signs are there so all of you who are in the initial throws of taking these tablets can take heart.

Day - 11.

have awoken today feeling a little nervous but not at odds with my world and am confident of a longish drive today - enough to say that over the next few days my own confidence will hopefully begin the reach new levels.

I'll keep all informed anyway...............have a fantastic day,

Love to all:hugs: :hugs:
(roy)

hopeful
25-02-08, 09:21
Hi Roy,

Im so pleased for you.Once again I can relate to what you are going through.I used to get glimpses of my old self and feel great for a while and then feel anxious,but now I feel my old self 95% of the time.It sounds like you will be the same too.Fabulous!:yesyes:

Big Bird
26-02-08, 08:49
Day-12

Hi All, hope you are feeling a little brighter.:)

Yesterday was a blip. I felt very edgy all day and had a moment when the wave of depression that has forced me down this road, attempted to rear its ugly head! The good news........I coped with it. I just took a couple of hours out to rest up and saw it through so in this respect - success. I am given to understand there is no smooth newly laid road ahead anyway so my mindset is one of - lets see what tomorrow brings.
Slept really well - took my med. later than normal and have woken today with a slightly fuzzy head but not enough to render me anywhere near hopeless.
Here's hoping the day improves gradually.

Wish everyone loads of love and respect - together we can defeat this.

(roy)

Big Bird
27-02-08, 17:04
Day -13

Yesterday was another good day. I felt better as the day moved on and once again felt that a lot of the overhanging feeling in my head had lifted.
The good thing being this is giving more confidence to face the day although it does appear to be on alternate days presently.
I am waking in the middle of the night at the moment for nearly an hour. Having said this, I have employed a strict regime for some time of retiring at 10.00pm and am getting good sleep nonetheless. I had just woken prior to the earthquake last night!

So, into day 13 and with a hope that I may string two consecutive 'good' days together. I'll let you know tomorrow.:yesyes: :yesyes:

Love to all

(roy)

shakygirl
28-02-08, 18:54
I have found this thread really interesting. I am on day 11 of citalopram and feel lucky that I don't seem to have had such severe side effects as others. I have had vague nausea (but that is my anxiety symptom), strange cold feeling in arms and chest, bit sleepy and physically shaky. These all seem to be receding now and I have had such a good day today and even with a couple of panicky blips have sorted them quickly and carried on. The lack of appetite is tricky as part of the whole anxiety thing has meant I have not been eating much anyway (I have lost over 2 stone since Christmas) but I am forcing myself to eat so hopefully the weight will stop falling off soon.

Thanks to you all for sharing your experiences too - makes me feel less alone.

Big Bird
29-02-08, 08:25
Day-14

When I left my last thread I was into the second half of day 13. The day did not really take off, nor did it disintegrate so this end I can safely say it was a good one. There are times when ones mind challenges the recovery process and I find myself at odds with myself thinking something will head downhill but the more it doesn't occur, the more I will hopefully become used to feeling much better. A paradox of sorts I know so hope people can relate to this.
Nonetheless, there are changes, the changes are at times subtle but they are real and they are happening.My sleep is deeper now with somewhat vivid dreams but certainly nothing to worry about and I am waking each day with a little more freedom and confidence to move onwards and upwards.
A magic potion it is not but citalopram does seem to be allowing me more space to achieve recovery. I have ventured into the online Livinglifetothefull so hanks to all for pointing me in the direction of this valuable site and am looking forward to a little more of 'me' as the days move on.

I'll post again in a couple of days. Please take care everyone, thinking of you,

(roy)

shakygirl
29-02-08, 08:34
really bad this morning - 7 year old son has teacher training day off school and I have completely fallen apart at the thought of looking after him all day. Feel pathetic, guilty and a bad mother.

willitstop
29-02-08, 09:00
Please dont feel guilty you are not a bad mother i understand what your going through im currently on day 5 on citrolapram and feeling edgy bit not as bad as yesterday.
i have 4 children and luckily i have a fantastic partner who is a great support as i to dont feel comfortable alone with my children as my fear of passing out is so intense.
you are not a bad mom if you were you wouldnt care and you do good luck and feel free to pm me if you want to talk xx

Big Bird
29-02-08, 09:14
really bad this morning - 7 year old son has teacher training day off school and I have completely fallen apart at the thought of looking after him all day. Feel pathetic, guilty and a bad mother.

These are quite normal feelings. I have suffered similar although I cannot vouch to being a bad Mum because I'm a Dad LOL. You definately are not a bad Mum, on the contrary, you are a good one and an equally couragoeus woman for doing something about your situation. Please feel free to write as much as you like, it will help release your emotions; we are all in a similar position intrying to improve our lives and to help each other is just as rewarding as any recovery.
The next few days will be one forward, one back but the big picture and reward will be worth it I'm sure.
Stick in there, you will improve.

(roy)

shakygirl
02-03-08, 12:49
Thank you for your kind words. I went back to the dr on Friday after feeling so bad. I have actually only been taking the full 20mg dose for a week and he said that really the half tablets that I took prior to that didn't really count and that it could be another week (or more) before I start to see an improvement.

Mentally I actually feel pretty good today but physically not so brilliant. I have this horrible acidy stomach and taste in my mouth which is making it so hard to eat. Don't know if it side effect of the drugs or not. I think it may well be as by the end of the day (when I have forced down as much food as I can) I feel much better.

Big Bird
03-03-08, 10:44
Thank you for your kind words. I went back to the dr on Friday after feeling so bad. I have actually only been taking the full 20mg dose for a week and he said that really the half tablets that I took prior to that didn't really count and that it could be another week (or more) before I start to see an improvement.

Mentally I actually feel pretty good today but physically not so brilliant. I have this horrible acidy stomach and taste in my mouth which is making it so hard to eat. Don't know if it side effect of the drugs or not. I think it may well be as by the end of the day (when I have forced down as much food as I can) I feel much better.

Hi,

It is the medication that is troubling your appetite and creating the nausea!
It does pass although I still have the odd feeling of nausea from time to time and I can only relate to my own feelings here in that my appetite diminished but has subsequently returned.
I would suggest you are making good progress,

All the best,

(roy)

Big Bird
03-03-08, 14:24
Days, 15-16-17

Hi All,

Now fully into day No. 17 and the weekend having now passed. I have been slowly moving the taking of my medication into the early morning and now stand at 11.00am. I want to be able to take it when I awake by this coming weekend.
Life is progressing well. I am having some great moments of clarity now and forging more of a confident frame of mind as each day passes. I still have the feeling of anxiety; nothing I cannot deal with, and the odd blip of nausea but I can trade any of these for the lift in my daily mood to which I can utilise the space to challenge the problems that forced me down this road.

All in all I am well pleased and visit my Doctor on Monday next for some 'fine tuning'.

Much love and best wishes to all,

(roy)

hopeful
04-03-08, 09:33
So pleased for you Roy.:yesyes:

shakygirl
04-03-08, 10:39
Feeling so much better today too - no panicky feelings, no nausea just a bit bored! Hopefully a corner has been turned.

Big Bird
07-03-08, 09:05
Into Week No.4

I have had a mixed bag so far in as much as I have developed a head cold and had to deal with that also. This medication does appear to be working and as each day dawns I am finding myself being able to rise to the challenge of a new day with more confidence. There is no miracle cure with them,I still have side effects but they are minimal. They are just allowing me enough space, enough time, and an ability to collect thoughts that once would race around my mind in a negative fashion and contrive to destroy the day. It has been profoundly upsetting at times as I am not and have never been a negative person so it just goes to show that this debilitating condition can hit everyone.
the signs are good. I see my Doctor again on Monday and will jot down the events of the previous few weeks to allow him to make his own judgement. I just feel that I am now on a plateu and need to continue the process of making good and moving into a new stronger me in the years ahead. I am sure there will be momentary blips, we all have them in many differing ways and am equally sure that this medication is giving me the neccesary space to deal with them.

Take Care all;:hugs: :hugs:

(roy)

Kitty121
07-03-08, 13:04
Hey there bet

hope you are well. Time has flown and I am halfway through week 4 on the meds:yesyes: . I am doing fine on them and I really hope you are too.

Let me know how you are getting on.

Take care

Kitty xx:hugs:

Richie
07-03-08, 16:26
Hi
there this is my 2nd week on 20 mg of citralopram, too early really for a breakthrough, Have had some pretty awful depression and sleep almost permanenently, but i am determined to give it at least 2 months and even see if the 40 mg would make an improvement.
It's good to see that people are doing a chronology of their daily experiences on this medication
I'm away next week which might pick me up and i hope and pray their will be some improvement by then and for others:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:but if not life can still go on xxx
Lots of luv Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Big Bird
09-03-08, 19:40
Hi,

After three weeks of meds I had my first evening out on Friday night with a chance to take on board a beer or two!
I actually managed five pints of lager throughout the evening with no apparant ill effects and despite feeling a little more tired yesterday, I put it down to the fact that I arrived home quite late.
However.........today I haven't felt quite right all day. A sort of feeling of not waking up correctly and this afternoon, whackkkkk. A full on P.A.I felt the adrenalin rush and then the tingling etc. It was frightening as they often are. I dealt with it, have calmed down heaps since but having not had one for months, I almost felt as if I had turned full circle as the anxiety led to panic which led to depression.
I am pleased with the medication, it is helping me but I feel what happened today is more a result of the alchohol intake and mixture of my head trying to sort itself out again.
I have learnt another valuable lesson.
Have any of you guys suffered similar?

Cheers

(roy)

shakygirl
11-03-08, 17:30
How are you getting on now Big Bird? I have had pretty bad morning again this morning but feel ok now. I think I am into a very negative mindset - I expect to feel bad in the mornings and therefore I do. I am seeing a hypnotherapist tomorrow to try and help things along.

Big Bird
16-03-08, 17:12
Hi All,

Another week has passed and now into week five. I am still progressing and some of the main side effects are now beginning to settle. My GP has given me another two months supply with a view to being on them for 6-9 months.
The consensus was that I had improved approximately 50-60% and he feels the next two months may very well bring up to 95% which I will be pleased with.
I am generally getting out and about with much more confidence and the mornings are becoming better and better - an area of the day that was so mixed before I was put on them.
I do hope some of you who have taken a similar journey are also making progress. I'll tune in again next week.

All the very best

Big Bird
23-03-08, 10:46
Hi All,

Just filing another weekly report. Good to hear the people who are making such good progress. I would just like to add to the comments made in that life can and does get better. The medication definately reduces the effects of depression in myself. The only mute point being my anxiety and panic levels seem to have increased somewhat!
I believe this is due to the fact that I am so much more comfortable with facing each day and actually being able to deal with the fact the the dark clouds have dissipated. That has left the underlying anxiety still open and I have learnt through my own experience of that, how to deal with it.
In the last two weeks I ventured into enjoying a few beers, enjoyed a few busy nights out and had an episode in which my new vehicle was broken into yet still managed to smile on the other side of it all.
I have also suffered a couple of panic attacks. One, in the middle of the night but can cope with these much better now. I do not believe it is the meds - more my lifestyle and my body warning me to take things easy!!!
Anyway, I still get a little ringing in the head, some minor head zap type feelings but over all feel I have much more space and confidence.
Hope some of this makes sense to some of you.
All the best,

(roy)

shakygirl
23-03-08, 12:49
Great news Roy - it is brilliant that you are getting out and about. I started this week so well. I felt completetly normal for first time in 3 months but today I am not so good. Can't get rid of the shakes, got headache, acid mouth again and feel very weepy. Having said that I think it might be PMT so probably nothing to do with the citalopram!
Hopefully all will be back to normal again in a couple of days.

Richie
25-03-08, 15:49
Hiya, just to say that it nearly my 5th week on citralopram and (not wishing to put anyone off) we all have different make-up's (mines red lipstick) god that's truly bad lol:ohmy:
Haven't noticed a fraction of a difference well maybe half a fraction, so now thinking of asking to shoot up to 60mg and if that doesn't work well anbody know what i can try that isn't a serotonin re-uptaker??
Real disappointed Richie xxx:doh: :doh: :doh:

joy
26-03-08, 14:20
Its awful when you start a med full of confidence and then it doesnt fufill the expectations especially when loads of others on the site are doing well on the same med.

Been there got the tee shirt several times

Love Joy

Richie
26-03-08, 18:47
Thanks joy for that it was real nice of u to reply x x x x x x x x i'll keep plodding on :) :) :) :) hoping
Best wishes Richie x x x x x x x

lane12
26-03-08, 20:01
hi everyone ive just started on them today my first day was so nervious about taking them but i carnt stand feeling the way i do anymore so am gona give them a go doc said im suffering anx/depresion do they work for both and how bad are the side effects any advise gladly receved x

Richie
26-03-08, 22:32
Hi there Bullseye,
i don't know what dose you are on but most poeple start on 10 or 20 mg ?
There is alot written about citalopram on this website under medications so you could have a look at some of the advice and replies on here. To give you some idea.
However don't forget that everyone will react differently to anti depressents or indeed most things, so i reckon you should try them out, give them a go to see if the can help you . They won't start working for about at least 2-3 weeks. But there is a good success rate, and if not, well that's one less to tick off the list :)
Well think the most common side effect is feeling very sleepy, but that should wear off in time.
i'm going to nurse tomorrow to go up to the max dose and give it a couple of months.
I wish you luck and hope they help you, think though best combined with some therapy
Luv Richie x x x x x

shakygirl
27-03-08, 07:52
I am on week 5 (20mg) and I am now feeling so much better - I was only suffering from anxiety (short term since christmas) so could be why it has worked so well for me. The dr yesterday said that I will now need to be on them for another 6 months to ensure the full benefit.

Give them a go Bullseye - any potential side effects are short term and bearable. I have lots of friends who have or are taking them and none of them googled the drug or read the leaflet and they had no side effects at all.... so I would not go trawling for too much info. Just take them and trust they will work.

I have also had some holistic therapy and hypnotherapy. If you can afford it then I would recommend something like that too. It has helped me to know that I am trying to make myself well again rather than just rely on the tablets.

Good luck and keep posting for support - this is a great site!

Big Bird
27-03-08, 08:41
hi everyone ive just started on them today my first day was so nervious about taking them but i carnt stand feeling the way i do anymore so am gona give them a go doc said im suffering anx/depresion do they work for both and how bad are the side effects any advise gladly receved x

Hi,

Stick in there. There will be some ,moments, I'm sure but they are all bearable in the face of the big picture.
Good Luck to you, you have taken the most important step anyway.

cheers

(roy)

smudgie
27-03-08, 09:31
Hi there

Just thought Id let you know how I got on.

I was started on 20mg it the time I didnt really care or know what they were putting me on I was in such a bad way.

I didnt notice any changes really until about 2 months later, it has been increased to 40mg per day. Im now 1 year on and I take it as soon as I get up in the mornings.

I must say for me its been a very good help and im glad im taking it. I know everyone is different and it may not be for you, but its done me alot of good.

take care
smudgie

always anxious
27-03-08, 09:59
hi everyone
my doctor has prescribed me 10mg to start off with but im worried bout starting. work full time and am always anxious at work but dont want to make it worse by starting the meds??!!
anyone got any advice??

samc100
27-03-08, 16:04
Hi Jake

I started on 10mg. And I was petrified of taking them.

I think most people do get some sort of side-effect. You night be lucky and be fine!

There's lots of threads on here about types of symptoms if you do feel anything that is not normal to you and you want reassurance. And do post on here for help cos' we'll hold your hand through it.

Mine were as bad and similiar to the panic/anxiety so I was able to cope with it pretty much ok and it did start easing after about 10 days.

I would try to start them at a time when your life is quite calm ( not too many social arrangements etc) so you have plenty of you time.

If the meds do make things worse it is likely to only be for a temporary amount of time and then you should start to feel better and able to handle life better. And don't be afraid to keep returning to your Dr.

Big Bird
30-03-08, 13:56
Hi All,

Into week seven now. Still making progress. Small steps but certainly in the right direction. The people around me are noticing also which in itself is probably an even bigger sign that I am improving.
Still having the odd anxious feeling to deal with but over all I am very pleased.
Please keep your spirits up folks - particularly those of you who are only just venturing out. Better times lie ahead.The key is not to expect too much:hugs: :hugs:

Cheers

(roy)

bet
30-03-08, 16:24
Thank you Roy that is a lovely encouraging post

bet:hugs:

shakygirl
02-04-08, 20:04
I am on week 6 and have to say I feel brilliant and pretty much back to normal. Have gone from worrying about everything a couple of weeks ago to not even stressing about going back to work on Monday!

I must say that the dr thinks my anxiety was caused by a virus at the beginning of the year so maybe it would have just gone by itself but I think the citalopram has helped enormously.

To everyone taking it - hang in there and THINK POSITIVELY - believe it will work and just maybe it will.

Debrena
03-04-08, 11:38
Hi,

This is my first day on this site, I have been prescribed Citalopram for 4 yrs and kept making the biggest mistake of taking them for a month felt like I was fine and then stopped taking them hence four years down the line I am no better, I have just started taking them again this is my 4th day no and I have told myseld I MUST stick it out, I have started to feel really spaced out, the best way I can discribe it is I feel like I am constantly staring into space even though I am doing things, not had this before is this normal ??? as I am now worried that something mught be wrong with me.

I just wish I was normal like all my other friends.

Ah well maybe one day hey!

:-)

Big Bird
03-04-08, 12:43
Hi,

This is my first day on this site, I have been prescribed Citalopram for 4 yrs and kept making the biggest mistake of taking them for a month felt like I was fine and then stopped taking them hence four years down the line I am no better, I have just started taking them again this is my 4th day no and I have told myseld I MUST stick it out, I have started to feel really spaced out, the best way I can discribe it is I feel like I am constantly staring into space even though I am doing things, not had this before is this normal ??? as I am now worried that something mught be wrong with me.

I just wish I was normal like all my other friends.

Ah well maybe one day hey!

:-)

Hi Debrena,

Yes, this is perfectly normal and it will pass. It is just your own body coming to terms with the infusion of what afterall, is a mind altering drug. It may take several days or even weeks but given time and patience, the rewards should be well worth the wait.
Good luck, keep posting as there is heaps of advice and good feeling on here.

Cheers

(roy)

Debrena
04-04-08, 16:56
Thanks for the reply Roy, only my grandmother knows I suffer with these attacks not even my partner of three years knows I guess I worry people will think I am odd so finding this site is like a weight off my shoulders to know that other people know exactly what it is like, can I ask do other people find that it effects them every single day and that know matter what they do this is always at the fore front of their mind?

Many thanks for your advice

Liverbird67
04-04-08, 21:50
Hiya All

Just a couple of little gems of information that I have picked up this week regarding any medication that people have been prescribed. I too was terrified of taking meds, I remembered years ago when I first started work and there were numerous law suits re people being addicted to benzos etc and I am aware of various scares re certain drugs and the extensive leaflets that accompany some meds warning of side effects that have certainly scared the bejaysus out of me and thus I haven't taken them.

1. If you read all the side effects of paracetamols you would be terrified to take them, (we all take these or paracetamol based things for everything from headaches, toothaches, period pains, flu symptoms, any ache etc etc.) and think nothing of it.

2. On the treatment of anxiety, depression nerves etc, we all beat ourselves up over taking tablets for these ailments, if we went to Drs and he said we were diabetic we would not refuse to take the treatment or insulin etc on the grounds that we should be stronger than that and not need it etc etc.

3. On getting over anxiety and depression, sometimes we need something to enable us to help ourselves ie. you would throw a lifebelt to someone struggling to swim in sea after a shipwreck wouldn't you. You would not leave them struggling with nothing.

4. Remember years ago when you were a small child and you had some sort of infection and the Dr gave you antibiotics or that foul tasting medicine, he used to tell your mum, don't worry they will feel worse before they get better and low and behold you did.

5. Also anti-depressants are like any other drug, some things work better for different people, ie if I have a cough I take benillin my mum says its rubbish does nothing for her so her and my dad take corvonia if they have a cough which works for them.

Just a couple of things to bear in mind if you are struggling with the medication issue. There is always the possiblity that they could help you feel better in the interim whilst you are awaiting CBT or anxiety management.

One more thing it might just work.
By the way I am not a health professional these are just tips I have picked up and personal opinions If anyone is concerned about medications/side effects etc and have issues they should speak to a doctor or CPN whom will give them the correct professional advice.

Hope this can help someone.

Love

Liverbird

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

shakygirl
06-04-08, 08:21
Fantastic advice Liverbird.

I think there is a real stigma about A/Ds and it is a shame because it puts people off taking them. I have been honest with my friends and colleagues and told them what I am taking and I have been amazed at how many of them are also taking them! I went to a party a few weeks ago and of the 30 people there, I knew for a fact that 6 of us were on citalopram! There may well have been others that I did not know about.

As I said in a previous post they have been fantastic for me and I am now feeling completely well and I can understand the temptation to think that I don't need to take them anymore but my doc has said another 6 months and I am going to stick to it. Stick with it Debrena and keep taking them. I am sure the side effects will wear off in a few days.

Big Bird
07-04-08, 12:19
Hi All,

Just keeping you up to speed on my own progress.

Now into week 8 and still making good progress. The great thing about this in a paradoxical sense is the fact that I have been constantly learning that the key element in my rehabilitation is 'Time'.

Time and time again I read and if I am truthful; I have felt similarly, the feeling that we all want a 'quick fix'. This medication is in no way a 'quick fix'. It is, as it were, a 'crutch' for a broken leg and I am very pleased about that. The thinking time between minor blips, darker days or hours and the so much better days has given me much insight into who I am and how I feel about my progress. It is progress, it is slow but it is working and we must all be mindful of the time it takes.
This last week has seen a much better change for the better. I have felt more alive to life despite some minor blips. The previous weeks also gave rise to confidence in my progress but the 'blips' strengthene my resolve along with so many of you wonderful people relating your own stories.
We all inspire each other on this forum and that in itself is fantastic.

Keep Smiling everyone, summer in more ways than one is around the corner

poppet
07-04-08, 13:42
Hi there,
I'm so glad you are talking about this....

I have been staring at a box of Citalopram for 3 weeks now and have been unable to start due to pure fear they are going to make me worse.....:wacko:

Thing is reading mixed reviews is unnerving and in some ways is no help as I think it's a case of dirrerent folks, different strokes...

I am a heavy weed smoker and although told I'll naturally come off it once on the course (kinnda unimaginable after it being my best friend, way of life and worst enemy for 10 yrs.....and I wonder why I feel like this!:whistles: )
I'm scared i wont be able to deal with the side effects with everything that is going on at the moment...but I do want to kick the weed.However I honestly don't trust myself not to mix them on occasion!

looking for any info or advice.....perhaps the nads I'm lacking!

Poppet. xx

Big Bird
07-04-08, 15:45
Hi there,
I'm so glad you are talking about this....

I have been staring at a box of Citalopram for 3 weeks now and have been unable to start due to pure fear they are going to make me worse.....:wacko:

Thing is reading mixed reviews is unnerving and in some ways is no help as I think it's a case of dirrerent folks, different strokes...

I am a heavy weed smoker and although told I'll naturally come off it once on the course (kinnda unimaginable after it being my best friend, way of life and worst enemy for 10 yrs.....and I wonder why I feel like this!:whistles: )
I'm scared i wont be able to deal with the side effects with everything that is going on at the moment...but I do want to kick the weed.However I honestly don't trust myself not to mix them on occasion!

looking for any info or advice.....perhaps the nads I'm lacking!

Poppet. xx

Hi Poppet

A few things to encourage you. Firstly by actually posting on here you are indeed suggesting you are keen to make progress.Also it seems you feel there is a need to make change and to that end much credit to you.
There is no doubt that in beginning a course of these meds, there may be some side effects. It is not neccessarily so mind and throughout the network of information available, just about every conceivable side effect known to man can in some ways be attributed.
Like most people, I was worried,concerned, frightened and panic ridden but in the game of balancing options it was something I and many others needed to try to convince ourselves either way.
You have come this far and that is a massive jump. No-one can tell you what you 'must' do, that is entirely your choice but an educated guess would suggest to me what you 'might' do:winks:
If there is anything I or anyone of the wonderful folk on here who are in much the same boat can do to help, feel free to post again.

Good Luck Poppet

(roy)

tortoise
10-04-08, 13:52
i've been prescribed citalpram this morning, and have taken one already today, but having done a bit of reading i'm apprehensive now. i've been prescribed anti depressants before, and due to my own apprehension over how well they work/side effects, etc. I've not taken them. this week i've been feeling very low so went to the doctors.

anyway, does it matter if i don't take them after taking one tablet today?? I know it's only one, but just wondered.

Allye
10-04-08, 14:03
Please give Citalopram a try. I was in a terrible state when the doctor prescribed this. The first couple of weeks were rough (but then so was my anxiety and depression). After that the improvement was immense. People commented on how more relaxed and happy I seemed. My other half said it was the happiest he had seen me in a couple of years. The respite from the anxiety and depression was so welcome – I actually got my life back again. You do not realise how stressful in itself anxiety and the physical symptoms are – it really gave me a break from the vicious circle we all know.

I have had to come off Citalopram for other reasons and the anxiety has come back, although not so bad – I am coping and I am sure it is because I have had a break from the circle.

If our plans do not work out then I would definitely start Citalopram again if I have to.

andrewc
10-04-08, 17:03
Hi Poppet

I know how you feel when you say you are scared to take the tablets. Dont forget that fear itself is a result of anxiety and depression. I like you was paranoid about taking tablets but the alternative was more freightening as my enxiety was running out of control hence I gave the tablets a chance and they worked great for me. Some of the side effects that some people complain about is not due to the tablet at all but their state of mind. Some of these people will blame the tablets even if they were taking ordinary pain killers. You see when we are suffering from anxiety we are looking for anything physical to blame hence the tablets would be the first on the list.
Your decision is yours to make and we can only relate our own experiences.

Best of luck

Andy

samc100
10-04-08, 19:50
Hi Poppet - I did that too! Had a box in the cupboard and hell would freeze over before I took any...... I was petrified of them.

Then I had the worst panic attack ever one Sunday and hid behind the settee for a few hours and the Dr asked me what had I to lose by taking them as I was losing the life I loved and hurting the people I loved the most.

And the first few weeks were a little rocky but no worse than the panis attacks.. Then gradually I began to cope with everyday life and began to go out slowly and then have fun...... And I could begin making strategies and learn how to cope with my situation and my mind so I could have a normalish life again.

I'll always thank the tablets for that.... I realise now they gave me a breather from being so ill to repair myself.

As AndrwCs says the decision is yours and please bear in mind if you do have tablets to make things better - that different tablets suit different people so it is not the end of the world if these are not the ones for you... there will be something, it is not the end of the line.....

poppet
17-04-08, 02:15
Hey Everyone,

I'm on tablet 3 now although this is over a 4 day period as the first 2 days were hell.....
After much debate I realised I'm just being a bit of a puss so to speak and so have just taken my 3rd.
I have been hiding im my flat for 7 months now and have to sort this out!
I'm 25 and don't want to further mess up what should be some of the best years of my life (although I firmly believe all our years are our best!)....you get what I'm saying.

One thing I have noticed...and this is CLEARLY just in my mad head as i only took 2....but I don't want to smoke...a joint or a ciggie??? We are talking about a hardcore 10 yr daily habit....
Ah...whatever it is it is for the best so who am I to ask where its from!

Thanks everyone....Massive Hugs!!!!!

Poppet. xx

Big Bird
17-04-08, 17:08
Hi All,

Now completed week nine and still moving in a slow but sure, positive direction.
It would be all too easy to latch on to any negatives but the fact is I still suffer from minor anxiety problems and if I could lose this, the job would be almost complete.
I do feel that by the time I have finished my medication in a few months time, I will have had the space and time to have regained my old life. In most ways, I have anyway but have to watch the drink now where I used to be able to be a little more reckless.
For all you guys who are only recently into taking Citalopram please try to see yourself through the initial stages - it is very much worth it and please dont read too deeply into the negs - we all do too much of this and they are overwhelmingly outweighed by the positives.
Take Care all

poppet
19-04-08, 15:40
Tortoise...

I took it for two days hated the effect it had on me, then stopped for one night without any problems.

I spoke to my doctor and the guys here and re-started tablet 3 on day 4..

Im now on tablet 6 and feel no ill effects other than a bit spaced out at times.

I have had no problems from doing that that i could mention.

Talk to your doctor before you do anything though.

All the best

Poppet. xx

caz303
19-04-08, 17:16
I'm on day 3 of Citalopram after change from Mertazipine as I didn't think it was helping at all. I'm taking diazepam 5mg 3 times a day also and yesterday I had a reasonably anxiety-free day (apart from the mornings which are always bad for me). Today, however, I'm anxious even though taking the diazepam :scared15:

I was taking Lorazepam whilst getting the other anti d's into my system .. I still have some and am wondering whether to start taking those again instead of the diazepam. Any advice?

Caz
x

Big Bird
06-05-08, 16:41
Hi Everyone,

Just checking in to update anyone who has been tracking the progress on here. I see there are new threads which have also taken up the mantle to which I extend my very best to all and hope you succeed in trying to find what you are looking for:yesyes:

I am nearing the end of week 12 now and am due to visit my GP again tomorrow for an update. Everything that occurred up until week 10 is within the thread and life really began to 'normalise' again from 10' onwards. I have felt so much more at ease with everything in my life; my work, my challenges in a day to day meaning and certainly facing the world as it can be faced every waking day. There are obvious connections with the better weather, the lighter nights and the warmer dryer days I belive which have all helped but in general, citalopram has given me the necessary lift I so badly wanted. This is in no-way and blaise' staement for if I overdo anything, I most certainly make a pay-off for my exertions. I have had a very busy weekend and had to take a good lie down earlier today as some of the old warning signs were there but I have learned my 'limits'. This is a good thing and something that makes many of us who have suffered depression/anxiety and panic a far better wiser person.
My utmost respect to all of you who are going through similar progression. Take the little knocks and try to see past them and you will get there.

Love to all

caz303
06-05-08, 19:35
I'm on day 3 of Citalopram after change from Mertazipine as I didn't think it was helping at all. I'm taking diazepam 5mg 3 times a day also and yesterday I had a reasonably anxiety-free day (apart from the mornings which are always bad for me). Today, however, I'm anxious even though taking the diazepam :scared15:

I was taking Lorazepam whilst getting the other anti d's into my system .. I still have some and am wondering whether to start taking those again instead of the diazepam. Any advice?

Caz
x

Just quoting myself here as there's been such a vast improvement that I wanted to share.

I'm now nearly into week 3 of the Citalopram and am feeling almost like my old self :yesyes: Still talking Lorazepam at the moment until I go back to docs next week. I'm just so pleased I insisted on changing the anti-depressant as it's been like being lifted out of a black hole back into life again :yahoo:

daisymoo
29-05-08, 11:01
Has anybody out there had success with Anti-depressants and morning anxiety. I have tried many types of AD but none of them made a dent in my morning anxiety. I cam off my latest AD's as I didn't see the point in taking something that wasn't working for me. After about 10am I feel pretty good without AD's, so don't see the point in taking them despite my doctor singing their praises. I'm still a bit miserable during the day, but not too bad. I understand the point of AD's and I wished that they did work for me, but I've tried 3 or 4 types and all I got was constipation !!

decca
02-06-08, 11:53
My Doc. keeps trying to get me to take Citalopram but I don't see the point if I'm not depressed, I just got tension and anxiety although I have just started getting panic attacks about 4 am some mornings.
At the moment I'm coping fairly well on 2 to 4 mg Diazepam daily.

Decca.

Allye
02-06-08, 12:04
I took citalopram for anxiety and PA - it was the best thing I ever did. It gave my body a break from the anxiety/panic treadmill. The fear of it all subsided and I actually got some of my old self back again!!

I no longer take it but can cope with the anxiety when I do get it now in the most part.

casey31
04-06-08, 15:21
Hello :-)

I'm so glad to find people that are going through what I am! My family are all abroad at the moment and my boyfriend doesn't understand - even though he does try...

I've been suffering with anxiety and depression for years - I had always taken seroxat which helped a lot however I worried that I should not take it because of all the bad press, so when a suddenly felt my symptoms coming back 2 months ago I reluctantly went back on it - but I had terrible side effects and ended up in casualty after collapsing with a heart rate over 100...so I decided to come off it, and now my doctor has prescribed citalopram. I've just taken 5mg as I'm so worried about the side effects that I'm starting really slowly...has anyone taken seroxat and citalopram? how do they compare?? does starting slowly really help or will the side effects happen regardless?? any advice would be really appreciated..I took the day off work today because I was so worried they would have a bad effect..thx xxxx

Lou~Lou
15-07-08, 10:05
Hi Guys just wondered how everyone who posted on this thread are doing? I was interested in particular to read Bigbirds posts as he sounds so much like me. Bad bouts of depression which followed the anxiety attacks. How are you Roy?

Bet did you ever start the meds?

Liverbird hows things with you?

Im on day 2 of the citalopram and so far ( fingers firmly crossed) I havent been too bad. Felt spaced out yesterday and tired but managed to get through the day without feeling too anxious and slept quite deeply last night. Although the bed felt as if it was shaking?! :huh:

Took my 2nd dose at 9 this morning and have a bit of a creeping scalp feeling, pressure in my sinus and a very heavy head.

Hope everyone is feeling well and sorry to revive an old thread but I found this one so refreshing as I can relate to so many of you. If your posting elsewhere now perhaps you could point me in that direction :yesyes:

Positive vibes to all :hugs:

Louisa

mollys
02-12-13, 15:08
Hello all

It is great to here everyone experiences to know that we are not alone and hopefully we can help each other!!

I am now 3 weeks into taking the meds, and I feel much better. I still have a little feeling of anxiety in the morning, but I find if I just get on with the day it will go in about an hour. My drowiness has passed ( I have a 13 week old baby so I am not sure if it was getting up with her aswell that made it worse!!) and I am more "with it", as for the actual anxiety during the day.. it has gone, (fingers crossed)!!

My doctor said to look at the recovery process like the back of a dinosour ( yep strange I know!!) but if you start at the tail, you will have to go up and down to finally get to the top!! Try and take each day at a time, if you do have a bad day, don't beat yourself up over it.. it will pass....

Good luck everyone and keep us updated:winks:

love Claire x

Hello everyone ,great to read all the feed back on CITROL! my Doc has me on them and on day four,to day was my worst day yet, I felt as though the bottom half of my body was all shivery and that I was going to faint ,the anxiety was terrible .My doc told me to take a valium for the first few days.So feel very tired on these.Will i stay going ?

teej
02-12-13, 16:01
Hi Molly S,

The first weeks will be difficult I'm afraid with side effects like you are already having - these pills are not a quick fix, but there are some very positive stories on here. My own experiences I have posted here having been on them for a month now.

Be sure to check out the citalopram survival guide, that's helped me a great deal. These forums have been amazing support.

I'm currently just starting Week 5 and beginning and I've just had my best day yet. I've decided to stick with them and see where I end up.

My top tip is be careful about changing your dose and make sure you take them the same time in the day! I've screwed myself up with that last weekend and the effects were not good.

T