PDA

View Full Version : fear of emos

Confidence is key
13-02-08, 12:58
i doubt anyone else has this one. any advice tho?

fifi
13-02-08, 13:12
I have one.... their moody, like to listen to slash your wrists type music, highly emotional, think nobody understands them, have horrendous dress sense, think they look good when they're covered in black eyeliner but actually they're totally harmless!

Sorry, probably doesn't help much!

kate
13-02-08, 14:08
Urm, what exactly do you fear about them?

Kate

Wolfie
13-02-08, 14:18
Heyyy heyyy heyyy

Stop RIGHT there!

I think Fifi what you have just posted is really quite disgusting. How can you just come out with that sterotypical view from someone like yourself?

It's not fair to JUDGE people due to a stupid, pathetic out of order LABEL?

Just because people like to wear black, doesn't mean they are an "Emo".

Just because people like to wear eyeliner, doesn't mean they are an "Emo".

Just because someone self harms, doesn't mean they are an "Emo"

And just because they like to listen to a certain type of music, doesn't mean they are an "Emo".

The term "Emo" is a pathetic stupid term, because it stands for Emotional.

Everyone on this earth has emotions. And because some people actually show their emotions, people like yourself, label them. This is not fair.

Personally, I think you have just heard or read or whatever you do, about this term that some idiot has created, and now you have formed your own opinion, which really isn't your own opinion, it's the media's.

If you actually TALK to someone who you would class as an "Emo", you'd find that they are very understanding, empathetic people who are extremely helpful and so what if they need support? That's what people on this earth should do - not bring other people down!

Ok, Confidence, I'll apologize to you for that outburst. Can I ask, what it is which you fear about these people? Although, Fifi, was wrong to say what she did, she is right in one thing. They are as harmless as you and I. They have their own ways of expressing themselves and really hun, there is nothing to worry about. :)

Lots of love and wolfie hugs,

Wolfie xx

fifi
13-02-08, 14:28
And tongue in cheek Wolfie was exactly how it was meant!.....

Happening to love my EMO very much and who has decided for themselves that this is what suits them, it was meant as a light hearted attempt to get other people to see that they are NOT in anyway threatening or different to how most of us feel at some time.

No offence intended to anybody!

Fifi

Wolfie
13-02-08, 14:40
I'm sorry if I'm missing anything here --

But, what you said was the opposite to light heartedness, in fact the way in which you have described them is derogatory.

Honestly, even if your intention was good, the way you went around it, was wrong.

Wolfie

Amilie
13-02-08, 15:49
Erm, What's an Emo? I thought you had just mis-spelt Emu until I saw the bit about black Eyeliner?!! Sorry for being stupid but I have never heard that term before?

louwilliams
13-02-08, 15:52
what is an EMO? similar to a GOTH?

i'm confused.......or maybe just old?

kate
13-02-08, 16:21
LOL Amilie! Emu!! :D

Kate

kilvosa
13-02-08, 16:59
hi
My friends son is an emo and i think hes like a goth but im probably wrong lol
take care
Annexx

honeybee3939
13-02-08, 17:11
Gosh

This Emo is all new to me too, is it a teenage thing, like the kind of music they like etc? gosh how times have changed, when i was kid it was all Bay City Rollers, my wardrobe was full of tarten.

I think i best shut up now before i give out more of my secrets.

Sorry i wasnt much use to answering your thread:hugs:

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

kate
13-02-08, 18:17
Oooooh, Bay City Rollers, now your talking :D

Kate

sophieunderscore
13-02-08, 19:13
If you mean emus I'm actually quite scared of them... well more disgusted than scared!

If you mean emos, I think it's just a stereotype of them being emotional and wrist slitting etc which leads to them being seen as unpleasant people, nothing to be scared of!

Confidence is key
13-02-08, 20:52
wait, i forgot what emus are. lol.

sophieunderscore
13-02-08, 21:05
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/egifs/Emu_bw.GIF

I tried to find the least scary picture I could in case it is emus you are scared of!

Confidence is key
13-02-08, 21:10
oh yeah, those things. im not scared of them, im scared of emos

Wolfie
13-02-08, 23:10
But why are you scared?

And Lmao, Sophie - nice diagram :)

Confidence is key
13-02-08, 23:14
i dont know really. ive just had this phobia for as long as i can remember. that happens with some phobia cases; they appear for no reason.

elle1987
13-02-08, 23:28
my mum friggin' LOVES bay city rollers!! just said i'd add that!:D

well everyones phobias are different... remember that ''emos'' (even if they do look a bit scary) are just disaffected kids trying to fit in and be accepted into a particular tribe/whatever in our society..we all feel like that when we're 13!!:)

Confidence is key
13-02-08, 23:31
ok thanks for the advice everyone. i bet now it will be easier to cope with this fear. i just wish my bro who uses this site had told me about it earlier.

aliciajane
14-02-08, 00:08
Hmmmm.
I often get called emo because I have black hair, listen to rock music, and have piercings.
I'm not a big fan of labels as black and white as that, but I know I'm a bit out of the ordinary, so I simply say that I have an alternative lifestyle.
Do groups scare you more?
Because I find myself very anxious around groups of teenagers.

fifi
14-02-08, 00:09
Confidence is Key,

As stated in my earlier post they are really nothing to be scared of.

Yes, as other threads have stated "emo" is usually a faze that hits in the teenagers years, and if you read my first thread it actually sums up how a lot of teenagers are feeling, during a difficult time that they are working out who they are and what life is all about. (but don't ever confuse an Emo with a goth!)

I have a teenage son who is an "emo" and very proud of it, but who incedently is also able to have a laugh at himself, but, freely admits that he falls into this label, (short of the self-harm!). He is loving, sensitive and thoughtfull.

All the best with beating this phobia.

Fifi

runningman
14-02-08, 08:33
I have one.... their moody, like to listen to slash your wrists type music, highly emotional, think nobody understands them, have horrendous dress sense, think they look good when they're covered in black eyeliner but actually they're totally harmless!

Sorry, probably doesn't help much!

please explain what you class as slash your wrists type of music??, :mad: like wolfie im not sure you fully understand what your talking about, dont ever say anyone that self harms is highly emotional.
and i dont get what you mean by toatlly harmless either
explain further

runningman
14-02-08, 08:36
Heyyy heyyy heyyy

Stop RIGHT there!

I think Fifi what you have just posted is really quite disgusting. How can you just come out with that sterotypical view from someone like yourself?

It's not fair to JUDGE people due to a stupid, pathetic out of order LABEL?

Just because people like to wear black, doesn't mean they are an "Emo".

Just because people like to wear eyeliner, doesn't mean they are an "Emo".

Just because someone self harms, doesn't mean they are an "Emo"

And just because they like to listen to a certain type of music, doesn't mean they are an "Emo".

The term "Emo" is a pathetic stupid term, because it stands for Emotional.

Everyone on this earth has emotions. And because some people actually show their emotions, people like yourself, label them. This is not fair.

Personally, I think you have just heard or read or whatever you do, about this term that some idiot has created, and now you have formed your own opinion, which really isn't your own opinion, it's the media's.

If you actually TALK to someone who you would class as an "Emo", you'd find that they are very understanding, empathetic people who are extremely helpful and so what if they need support? That's what people on this earth should do - not bring other people down!

Ok, Confidence, I'll apologize to you for that outburst. Can I ask, what it is which you fear about these people? Although, Fifi, was wrong to say what she did, she is right in one thing. They are as harmless as you and I. They have their own ways of expressing themselves and really hun, there is nothing to worry about. :)

Lots of love and wolfie hugs,

Wolfie xx

well said wolfie
wise words

weeble40
14-02-08, 10:57
Hi am not sure what an emo is i presume something like a goth, we each have a life to live and it may be lived however one chooses to do so,

am with you on this wolfie love

Emma

ladygrom
14-02-08, 12:49
hi ithought an emo was goth aswell and im with wolfie on this one xx

fifi
14-02-08, 13:16
Right, to Wolfie, Runningman, Memyself and anybody else who has been offended by my thread, I will for the final time try very hard to get across my intentions when writing this.
Firstly, as you quite rightly stated Wolfie “somebody like me”, who has experienced the difficulties that I have in my life, would find it very hard to purposely insult, degrade or cause offence to anybody, When I saw this post my first thought was of that of my son, (“I have one”), who I have stated earlier is an “Emo”. If I am guilty of anything, it is of taking a Mother’s view of her own child and making light of a label, and this is something that both he and I are able to joke about together. Yes as an OLD, I do find the music somewhat depressing and yes I’d rather see my sons face without the black eyeliner, see him dressed in some other colour than black, but that is his choice. The reference to “slash your wrists type music”, again was from my view point, having listened to many an hour of what I consider to be at times very depressing lyrics.
If my intentions had been to cause offence then I would not be writing this response now, but I can genuinely say that the thread was not written to upset or offend anybody and if it has been taken in this way then I can only apologise for the misunderstanding.

Amilie
14-02-08, 14:56
You didn't offend me Fifi. I got where you were coming from and could tell there was nothing serious or malicious about the comments (even though I thought you were talking about emus!!). Think we need to remember people have different senses of humour and things come across a lot differently in writing. Think it would be wise to except the apology if offended and realise no harm was meant, but all try and be a bit more thoughtful when writing "jokey" replies.

kate
14-02-08, 16:21
I also took it as the joke that it was intended to be :D

Kate

MikesP
14-02-08, 19:42
Avoid Myspace

& avoid the Linkin Park song named Crawling

:roflmao:

Jaco45er
14-02-08, 19:48
I missed the point totally, I thought it was "fear of Elmo".

And to be fair, I hate his little laugh, tickle him? I would love to Ebay him

Confidence is key
14-02-08, 22:06
lol, elmo is scary. especially ticlke me elmo. and worst of all, from this one online video i forced myself to watch... ticlke me emo!! i only made it halfway thru tho

runningman
15-02-08, 08:22
Right, to Wolfie, Runningman, Memyself and anybody else who has been offended by my thread, I will for the final time try very hard to get across my intentions when writing this.
Firstly, as you quite rightly stated Wolfie “somebody like me”, who has experienced the difficulties that I have in my life, would find it very hard to purposely insult, degrade or cause offence to anybody, When I saw this post my first thought was of that of my son, (“I have one”), who I have stated earlier is an “Emo”. If I am guilty of anything, it is of taking a Mother’s view of her own child and making light of a label, and this is something that both he and I are able to joke about together. Yes as an OLD, I do find the music somewhat depressing and yes I’d rather see my sons face without the black eyeliner, see him dressed in some other colour than black, but that is his choice. The reference to “slash your wrists type music”, again was from my view point, having listened to many an hour of what I consider to be at times very depressing lyrics.
If my intentions had been to cause offence then I would not be writing this response now, but I can genuinely say that the thread was not written to upset or offend anybody and if it has been taken in this way then I can only apologise for the misunderstanding.

fifi, thankyou for that , the only offensive part to me was reference to "slashing your wrists" that was all. To us self harmers it is a reference we hate, it makes us out to be suicidal nutters that could snap at any moment and try to end it. This is not the case in 99% of self harmers. Very brave to apologise and i thank you for that, lots are not big enough to say so but you have. THANKYOU

weeble40
15-02-08, 09:52
think you hit the nail on the head Daz can we put an end end to it now, apology accepted

Emma xx

Richie
15-02-08, 12:02
HI
Having not been on NMP recently was reading this thread in bemusement,
Sorry didn't know what an EMO was !!!!
SO it's not like a Goth, so whats the difference????
I like Gothic stuff
Richie xxxx

Amilie
15-02-08, 12:35
I'm with you Richie, I'm still none the wiser!!

HazyMind
15-02-08, 22:37
Hi,

Well my daughter is an emo...and from what I can understand emos are very similar to goths but are more "emo"tional.

My daughter has the trademark eyeliner and too many piercings (where she is allowed).
She is also very sensitive but nothing to be frightened of!! :ohmy:

We do make light of it at home and have a laugh about it and if my daughter ever read this thread she would have a giggle, but I have also taken my childrens needs of wanting to be individual seriously, I think it's important for them to find what makes them happy.(yes emos are happy too!!:winks: )

Ive also been hearing about "chemos" recently lol...........a cross between an emo and a chav.

Jaco45er
15-02-08, 23:09
Tickle me Chemo? Can't see that catching on

HazyMind
17-02-08, 12:47
Has a good ring to it though Jaco....could do better than elmo.

MikesP
18-02-08, 11:02
Presenting, The Hoochemo

A classic new mix between the Hoodies, Chavs and Emo's.

Jaco45er
18-02-08, 12:16
Hoochemo? now that sounds like an alcopop lol

Lilith1980
18-02-08, 12:26
Excellent :D

Confidence is key
20-02-08, 22:25
ok thanks for the advice everyone. i will see what i can do to get rid of this fear.