PDA

View Full Version : Hi, from a first time user!

Chunky
15-02-08, 09:53
Hi All,
:welcome:
I stumbled across this site the other day and must say how brilliant it seems to be.
I am a 40year old male who first suffered from anxiety / panic attacks 6 years ago after a bit of a health scare. After a lot of hard work I seemed to get through it and had been absolutely fine for the last couple of years and then @ 4 months ago it all seemed to come flooding back.
However, this time i have a symptom that i never had previously and that is the shortness of breath / difficulty in breathing symptom and i must say this one is really scary. I also have the same symptoms i had previously i.e feeling light headed, chest pains, blurred vision, very aware of every sensation in my body and constantly thinking i am going to collapse altough i never have!
It really messes with your life and makes me very self centred which is not where i want to be.
Can anyone else who has the difficulty in breathing feeling please explain how if feels for them as at the moment i cannot get over that i think i am the only one who has this kind of thing and therefore it must be really serious!
I have had and ECG and 24 hour monitor which were both fine, so in my head i should know that my heart is ok but as i cannot shake the difficulty in breathing feeling i constantly think the worst!
Thanks for reading this and look forward to hearing from some of you.
:yesyes:
Chunky.

buzzing bees
15-02-08, 10:19
just a quick hi and welcome to this great group of friends by for now

kellie
15-02-08, 10:49
hiya chunky :welcome: to nmp its great to have you here:yesyes: . you are deffo in the right place everyone here will give you lots of support and advice. the breathing/shortness of breath probs are all part of the anx/panic attacks and i know can be very scary. have a look at the symptoms on the left and scroll down to the breathing section, it will explain and help you. hope to talk to you in the chat room some time take care mate :hugs: :hugs: .

kellie.

sarajane
15-02-08, 11:02
Welcome Chunky, you will get loads of support and advise here.
SJ

jotom
15-02-08, 11:07
Hi Chunky!

I cant believe your post - it could have been written by me - absolutely the same!! Its so nice to know you are not alone - like you, I am constantly thinking the worst - have had the ECGs/blood tests - everything normal but still cant stop thinking that they've missed something (although when I am in a 'rational' frame of mind, I know they are more than likely correct and its the way I'm thinking that makes me feel the way I do!) Positive thinking is the key, I'm sure!

Feel free to PM me, if you want.

JO:)

weeble40
15-02-08, 11:08
Hi Chunky I hope to see you around somewhere pop into chat sometime we can have a yarn, lots of help advice and support is given here, youve come to the right place,

Take Care

Emma xx

JulieAs45
15-02-08, 11:22

Hi Chunky,

Welcome to NMP nice to see you here. This is a great site full of really good information and great people always willing to give advice. I'm sure it will make such a difference to know you aren't alone.

Take care

Julie
:flowers:

Lindalou64
15-02-08, 11:33
Hello Chunky And Welcome To The Site........wish You Well........linda

Kitty121
15-02-08, 11:34
Hiya

I'm a new user I stumbled upon the site when I was looking up my new medication. I have had a scout round and noticed everyone being supportive to one another and its comforting to know I am not alone.

I had a week of panic and anxiety last week and I thought it would go away, I could not take anymore so I went to Doctors on Tuesday and got meds. The feeling has eased but not totally gone yet so I'm on the right track.

Kitty xx

Kitty121
15-02-08, 11:36

manmoor
15-02-08, 12:47
Hi Chunky,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

chalky
15-02-08, 13:34
Hi Chunky,

Welcome to the Forum !!

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

You will get loads of advice and support here.
I can totally identify with your symptoms.It is part of your anxiety.
You WILL get better!!
Best wishes,
Chalky

Lilith1980
15-02-08, 18:37
Hi Chunky

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

Gilly96
15-02-08, 18:45
Hi Chunky Welcome to the site! I'm fairly new myself and what you described I feel the exact same way!! I had 2 EKG's one was actually last night I had a pretty good attack and had a lot of burning sensations which I had never had before and it scared me so I ended up in the ER. Came back good both times. I know it's hard to not think about your heart but man when you feel lousy you can't help but feel everything that is going on with yourself!! Hang in there and we are all here for each other. I've met some nice people on here and chatted with them a couple times. Welcome to the site!!!

Angie
15-02-08, 19:46
Chunky Hi,

I am sure you can see how many of us suffer in exactly the same way; it is a reassurance isn't it. I had the ECG and the 24 hour tape and all fine, the breathing thing - it is like someone is sitting on your chest and you can't get enough air - vile isn't it. Please, please read this site from top to bottom because everything is explained here - tips? Exercise, breathe, and find a creative hobby and talk, to friends, to strangers, to anyone. Do you know what I do when I feel anxiety mounting, jump up and run up and down the stairs a few times - use the adrenaline - it subsides, trust me!

nomorepanic
15-02-08, 20:10
Hi Chunky and :welcome: aboard.

Lovely to see you here and hope we can be of some help.

groovygranny
16-02-08, 19:42
Hello Chunky:welcome: to you!

Glad to see you've had some replies off fellow sufferers already! Doesn't take long to get loads of help and support here once you've posted:)

It doesn't seem unusual to get a sudden recurrence of symptoms after a period of being free from them - happened to me too - but try and use the experience to strengthen your ability to cope with it.

Glad you joined us - pleased to meet you!

:)

trac67
16-02-08, 19:44
Hi Chunky,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

sandbanks
16-02-08, 22:09
HI CHUNKY

:welcome: YOUR GET MANY REPLYS TO THIS POST, BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE WHO SUFFER WITH ANX HAVE THIS SYMPTOM, BLEEDING ANNOYING, I STARTED WITH PANIC AND ANX ABOUT 18 YEARS AGO AND WAS REALLY BAD FOR A LONG TIME NEVER TOOK MEDS ALWAY TRIED NATURAL APPROCH, BUT EVEN WHEN I GOT BETTER WAS LEFT WITH THIS BREATHING PROBLEM, WHEN EVER I GET STRESSED OVER THE MOST SILLY THING, IT STARTS, BUT IVE LEARNT OVER THE YEARS, THAT I JUST HAVE TO TRY AND STOP THINKING ABOUT IT, BECAUSE IF IM BUSY ITS FINE, WHICH SHOWS ITS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.
ITS ONE OF THE CURSES I HAVE BEEN LEFT WITH, ALWAY AVOIDED ANY THING TO DO WITH BREATHING, TURNED OVER TELLY, CHANGED CONVERSATION IF IT WAS TALKED ABOUT, TREID YOGA TO HELP WITH REALXING,BUT STOPPED BECAUSE A LOT WAS TO DO WITH BREATHING!! MAD REALLY.
BUT AFTER THIS REALLY BAD ATTACK I HAVE HAD JAN, THOUGHT I CAN NOT GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN, WENT TO DOC AND WAS PUT ON MEDS (CITLOPRAM) WHICH HAVE REALLY HELP, BUT AGAIN LEFT WITH THIS BLOODY BREATHING CRAP. SO HAVE REALLY LOOKED INTO IT THIS TIME STOPPED AVOIDING IT, AND HAVE NOW REALISED, THAT IT ME!! HAVE HAD TO LEARN TO STOP OVER BREATHING, (HYPERVENTILATING) I DO IT WITH OUT REALISING IM DOING IT, SO THE BUILD UP SUDDENLY HITS ME AND THE SYPTOMS YOU DESCRIBED COME, (WHICH IS ANXIETY) WHICH WILL TURN INTO PANIC IF NOT STOPPED, WHICH I NO CAN CREEP UP ON YOU BEFORE YOU NO IT. SO IM LEARNING TO BREATH PROP AGAIN. WHEN I FEEL BAD I BREATH IN NOSE FOR COUNT OF 4 HOLD FOR 4 BREATH OUT FOR 4 THROUGH MOUTH, TRY TO DO IT SLOWLY LIKE YOUR BLOWING A CANDEL OUT, ALSO U CAN DO THE 7 11 IN NOSE FOR 7 OUT MOUTH FOR 11, BUT PROB BETTER TO START WITH 4. I HAVE AVOIDED IT FOR TO LONG, NOW BETTER TO TAKE BULL BY THE HORNS, ITS HARD BUT U WITH FEEL SO MUCH BETTER, ITS THE OUT BREATH WHICH DOS IT, CALMS U DOWN AND RELAXES YOU.
HAVE A GOOD LOOK AROUND SITE, ABOUT BREATHING YOUR GET LOTS OF GOOD TIPS, THE BREATHING IS THE KEY, AS MUCH AS WE WOULD RATHER NOT THINK ABOUT IT.
LET ME NO HOW YOUR GETTING ON, I NO IT EASER SAID THAN DONE, EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED TO AND I HELP IF I CAN.
TAKE CARE
SORRY ITS SO LONG BUT GET CARRIED AWAY WITH THIS ONE BECAUSE I NO IS'S SO HORRIBLE :yahoo:
SANDY

Southern_Belle
18-02-08, 20:03
Hi Chunky,

Welcome to the site. You will find many here that feel the same way you do and will get great support.

Hugs,

Laura

Chunky
19-02-08, 09:10
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your replies, its great to hear from others in the same boat.

I have had a good look around the site now and think it is excellent with lots of helpful information.

Look foward to chatting/hearing from you again soon.

Chunky

:yesyes:

LucyA
19-02-08, 10:19
Welcome to NMP chunky, look forward to chatting with u :)
Lucy x

MikesP
19-02-08, 13:56
Hey Chunky,

Welcome to the site mate. I know that the symptoms of anxiety or panic can be really worrying, especially the first times you experience them. This is a good place to be to find that extra bit of determination you may need from other people here who are in the same boat. You may be able to learn a few new methods of how to better cope with some of the symptoms you are having to.

See you around the place :)

Wolfie
19-02-08, 19:33
Hi Chunky!!!

Welcome to NMP!!! :) :) :)

You will find tons of advice and support here!

Hope to speak to you soon,

Wolfie xx