PDA

View Full Version : new here

fairy
12-03-05, 17:21
Hi, I've finally plucked up the courage to post here although I'm not sure where to start. I have had depression on and off for 6yrs now and I've always been a big worrier, family always say I make mountains out of molehills. During the last couple of years I've getting gradually worse, I now have panic attacks and seem to worry constantly about something. I wondered if I had OCD as thoughts pop into my head about something and I can't shake them off, I worry all the time if I have said or done something to upset or hurt someone. I'm always checking that I've done things and I'm extra careful about things, but sometimes I'm not even sure if I am remembering something correctly. Things go round and round in my head and I can't shake them off.

I went to the doctor in january and he told me I was suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, he gave me some pills to take when I have a panic attack and he made me an appointment with the counsellor(this is not til next month).

I'm not sure which forum I should post on, which would be the most helpful for me? This last week has been awful, I'm getting to the point when I don't want to leave the house, I have to make myself go out for the sake of my children. I could so easily just stay at home where it's safe if you know what I mean. I seem to worry about things that no one else worries about, I look at people and wish I could be like them. I'd be really glad of someone to talk to about this, thanks:)

nomorepanic
12-03-05, 17:44
Hi Fairy and welcome aboard the forum.

You are posting in the right place for now and then as and when you feel necessary you can add to other posts if you want to.

Everyone reads all the forums so people will pick up on your posts anywhere on here.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering and I hope we can offer you some good advice to get back on track again.

Let us know if you have any specific issues or questions?

Nicola

jill
12-03-05, 18:10
Hi Fairy

Welcome to the site,

There are lots of nice people here who will
help and support you.

TAKE CARE LOVE JILLXXX

sal
12-03-05, 18:16
Hi Fairy

Welcome to the site.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

Karen
12-03-05, 18:18
Hi Fairy

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time at the moment. I've suffered from depression for a number of years and I also constantly worry that I have said or done something to hurt or upset someone too, so you are certainly not alone in this.

I'm sure you'll find we are all friendly here and want to help in whatever way we can.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

mico
12-03-05, 18:19
Hi Fairy

This is a great site (best I've been to!), so I'm sure you'll be glad that you plucked up the courage to post after you've experienced it for yourself.

You mentioned OCD and thoughts. I started a topic off about this a while ago, here:

Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour in Thoughts (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2282)

I was just enquiring into how OCD and obsessive thoughts relate.

Whether you can be bothered to read the topic or not (I wouldn't! :D), it remains that many, well, most, people who suffer from anxiety have some sort of obsessive thinking patterns, which in turn leads to more anxiety, and continues in a vicious circle. So, it's good that you've noticed your thoughts, time to start doing something about them. Easier said than done, but you'll get plenty of support here.

Welcome.

Oh, and the first steps page is useful too, here:

www.nomorepanic.co.uk/firststeps.htm

Hope this helps. And feel free to ask more questions.

mico

Marc
12-03-05, 18:34
Hi fairy, and welcome.

I don't know what it is about life nowadays, but this seems to be getting a problem for more and more people.
I've always been inclined to worry about the same sort of things as you, but it does seem to have got worse in recent years too.

Anyway, the good news is that this is a great site, with lots of lovely friendly people who understand what you're feeling, and will help you if they can.
Just being able to tell someone about your problems helps.

Good to have you on board :)

Marc
xx

FAN
12-03-05, 18:36
hi welcome to the forum im sure you will find it really helpful

fan x

Tracy68
12-03-05, 19:31
Hiya Fairy
Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find plenty of help and support from everyone on here to help you through this. I to am a worrier and some days it seems to take over everything but since finding this site and reading through alot of people's experiences i know i'm not alone and i try not to worry as much now and touch wood it does seem to working.
Take care
Tracy
x

Meg
12-03-05, 19:37
Hi Fairy,

Welcome - you can talk to us .

Whatever you post you'll get a barrage of opinions and experiences .

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

bubbles
12-03-05, 19:49
Fairy,

Welcome to the forum.

I suffer with anxiety/panic--though I'm feeling much better these days--& find when I am anxious I get obsessive thought patterns & find myself 'following' rituals in my behaviour. Whwn I feel ok this, more or less, ceases or is not a problem. I don't think of this as OCD proper but as part of the anxiety cycle.

I hope that you find the site helpful & supportive.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

tracyp584
12-03-05, 20:45
Welcome to the site,

Hope you will find some support here to help you!

Take care,

tracy x x

fairy
12-03-05, 21:49
Thanks for the replies, it's good to know that there is support around. I sometimes feel like I'm alone in all this even though I do talk to my mum and husband about somethings(not everything). My mum suffers from anxiety too and sees a counsellor so she understands to a degree. I looked at the links(thanks Mico!) and I think I probably don't have Ocd, more a cycle of worries and anxiety which leads to despair, insomnia and panic attacks. I don't think I perform rituals, only the usual checking of things that I think everyone does.

So thanks again everyone, I think posting here will be a big help:)

mico
13-03-05, 11:48
Hi Fairy

If you stick around you're sure to learn a lot about yourself. But if you feel you need to talk to someone, then you can always have a pop into the chat room. There are usually people there after 8 or 9pm (but don't go to the one in the forums, the link for the regular chat room is on the main page of the site: www.nomorepanic.co.uk

The conversation varies (wildly), but they're a nice bunch really!

mico

lisarose
13-03-05, 13:00
Hi Fairy,

A big welcome to the forum, you will find it very helpful and everyone is very supportive and friendly. I have suffered panic attacks/anxiety and depression since my 2nd child was born in 2000, It has got alot better since August last year since taking new medication but the last 4 weeks have had a bad time again and feel like I'm back to square one. i am so glad I found this site 4 weeks ago as I have had alot of support from everyone and know that when things get on top of me I can post and here for support and advice.

Hope to hear more from you soon
Take care
Love Lisaxx

kizzy
13-03-05, 16:10
:) hello and welcome,I am sure you will get lots of help here.

love kiz

delta
14-03-05, 12:57
Hi fairy
Welcome to the site
It's great here, you will find alot of support.
I have suffered with anxiety and panic for years and also depression on and off for a few years, it's only now that I realise that a lot of symptoms I have are all connected. I too suffer with intrusive thoughts and OCD related symptoms. My main problem at the moment is we're drowning in debt which is exacerbating my problems.
Take care