PDA

View Full Version : low in iron? mineral deficiency?

peach
18-02-08, 06:55
hi all,

i need some help....has anyone on here suffered with any of the above? if so what were your symptoms and was was done to fix the problem? i think i may have one or both of the above....bad diet due to poverty....

just started a job and terrified im gonna lose it...

been feeling unwell, light eye headaches (now all day) and lightheadness....

any ideas?

jacq
18-02-08, 08:53
Hi Peach, I have suffered with low iron levels for 10 years or more, i was first diagnosed when having a biopsy for a white lump in my mouth that the dentist had noticed and the ENT surgeon wanted blood tests before the procedure, the tests came back that i was dangerously low in iron and i was given tablets for 6 months at intervals. On the upside i didn't need the biopsy as one of the symptoms of low iron is mouth ulcers and sores that keep coming back. I also had very heavy periods my hair was falling out in handfulls and i was shattered all of the time. I know now what to look for and when i start to feel a bit run down i take iron supplements, i can get them from the doctors but find the tablets give me a really bad stomach so buy liquid from the health shop, it works just as well. I also get bad eye headaches sometimes lasting a week or more but have never linked it to my iron levels, i think it is a hormone thing as it is usually about mid cycle every month. I would pop and see your doctor and get a blood test to check your iron levels but i am not sure if they can check for individual mineral deficiencies. I am sure your work would be understanding if you have a medical problem, and it may even be the stress of settling into a new job that is causing some of the symptoms. Hope you feel better soon.

Jacq x:hugs:

Allye
18-02-08, 11:16
Hi

I had chronic anaemia last year (due to heavy periods). You can get iron tablets from your doctor or if you get really bad you have to have injections. I agree that the liquid formula is better on your stomach - you can get this from the chemist.

hannax
18-02-08, 13:21
i was really really low in iron after a c section bcoz i lost loads of blood i had to have 2 blood transfusions and iron tablets,i felt breathless and really dizz xx

ceecee
18-02-08, 17:20
hi peach
yeah i too had low iron levels due to my heavy periods:blush:
its symptoms were feeling really tired thinning hair headaches and feeling really light-headed
i too found that the iron tablets gave me a bad stomach so i now buy a liquid called spatone which someone on the forum recommened.its great and easy to take:D
but i,m not sure wether you can get that in australia hun
you,ll be fine and hope the job goes well:)

peach
19-02-08, 07:08
thanks for replying everyone! i also have had lots of mouth ulcers lately, and have a bit of hair falling out but because i have such think hair, havent noticed it thinning (sadly) lol....

i agree with teh blood test, but unfortunalty this is one of my biggest phobias......so big prob. last one i had 2 yrs ago i went into shock, yes,....it was that bad...lol..so not looking foward to it at all......i told doc i will need sedatives to get through it.....hope theyre not strong, cause then ill go into panic attack..yes...im a big baby these days.....

i had a multi vitamin this morn, and noticed a difference.....felt a bit better...

im not so sure its iron now, as im not cold and my blood pressure is perfect...so still guessing for now....

peach
20-02-08, 08:33
hi!

i sussed it out!!!! lol.....b12~~~~~~ i took a double dose of it yesterday and today and feel 100% better! i looked up symptoms of low vitamin b12 and had nearly all of them...hubby was starting to think i had candida....

so thanks all!!

will keep up the b12 and moniter to make sure im ok....

still gonna go do a blood test, but feel better its not frantically urgent now and can work myself up to do it very soon....

Dying_Swan
21-02-08, 17:53
Hey Peach.

Glad you are feeling lots better :)

See how you go with the B12. If you can psych yourself up for it, a blood test wouldn't be a bad idea.

Just be cautious before taking iron supplements - too much iron can be as bad as too little, so it's important to start it under medical supervision.

xxx :flowers:

peach
21-02-08, 19:51
thanks dying swan, sadly symptoms came back next day worse, so went to docs, and now blood test is happening in next day or two. petrified of course, and want to get it over an done with, trying not to think about it and going to take xanax before i go for it. i just wish i had the strengh of others on here......wish me luck...

AceR1mmer
21-02-08, 19:55
bad diet due to poverty....

The best foods are the cheapest, fresh veg&fruit, theres never an excuse for bad diet.
everyone should take multi vits.

Dying_Swan
22-02-08, 09:20
Hey Peach.

Well done for booking the blood test. I think it's a good idea to get checked out before you decide on which supplements you need.

I think you have plenty of strength and I hope the test goes fine, as I am sure it will

Good luck,

peach
23-02-08, 12:55
thanks for your input acerimmer...

im not sure how much your aware of the food sitch in aust these days but because most of our country has been in a drought for a few years now, its made the price of fruit n veg sor through the roof...

so i can either buy a punnet of strawberrys for 5$ or an entire meal from a fast food place......

and i know you said no excuses, but my life is rather active, so i feel i need carbs in order to keep my energy up..... fish is also really expensive
10$ a piece.....i would love to move to a cheaper place to live, as aust has been classifed as world no 3 most expensive to live, but im kinda stuck for now...

this is why ive been trying to overcome my GAD and cope with a new full time job (started a week ago) after not being able to work for 3 yrs...so after i get out of debit i will certainly be able to spend more then 50$ a fortnight on food which im really looking foward too....

AceR1mmer
23-02-08, 18:21
wow did'nt know aus was in that much trouble:ohmy:

a cheap form of carbs is oats so if there still cheap over there then stock up! you can bake or just have em as breakfast style meals.

remember to stay active u gota look after yourself:)

and yes moving might be a good idea, at the very least it gives you a goal to aim for!:yesyes:

Dying_Swan
23-02-08, 20:04
lol a little extreme perhaps!

I went to Oz and loved it - certainly wouldn't want to be moving away. It is very expensive though.

Best thing I remember was all those fruit juice and milkshake fridges in every store - the apricot one was mmmmm. And the endless supply of macademias (especially in Byron Bay cookies with white chocolate) :D

Peach just see how the blood test goes and then you can think about possible changes to your diet. There's no point busting a gut to increase your iron intake if you are already sufficient, so don't stress about it.

It sounds like you're under enough pressure as it is right now with the new job so don't fret for the time being about diet!

From what I remember, most people in Australia were really very healthy and so was the diet, so I bet your version of 'bad diet' is nothing like ours...!

Take care,

peach
23-02-08, 21:32
lolol...your right dying swan...i really dont want to move, as i love living in aust so much....i couldnt imagine being happier anywhere else, and my goodness, the move would just be too big to comprehend for now....

your also perhaps right about what a 'bad diet' entails.....mine is basically evil macdonalds twice a week, and i try to eat steamed veges some nights, and of course as much fruit salad as i can when i have the money to buy. so its not all bad....im not obese, just a little cuddly...lolol.....i figure it will take me about 2 months to loose weight slowely to get back to normal.

oh, youve been to byron......so yes, youve got a good idea of lifestyle over here, and ive spent plenty of time there too, its just beautiful. we love having british people visit, lots come and always a good load of fun!..once you get used to the heat that is...im always impressed that you are willing to travel so far to come here....ive been to london once and i know how long that flight is...lolol...

acerimmer, yes, good idea, we do have oats and in winter i eat them heaps, so will stock up as its starting to get colder now....aust isnt in dire trouble, but we have been on strict water restrictions for about 2 yrs now so has affect everyone price wise, and poor farmers affected the most, its been awfully sad for them, lots just couldnt survive......many animals died too...im hoping were at the end of it now, been lots of rain in the past month, so we will see eh? its the way of the world i guess.....

just need to get this test out of the way, and cross fingers ive got a good life ahead of me...then i can be more useful to give good advice instead of beggin for help on here all the time...lolol...