PDA

View Full Version : I did it!

kate
18-02-08, 13:23
Today hubby had to take his car, son had to get daughter to school in my car, so I decided to take the bus to work :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Two years ago I did my first bus trip in years, only managed a couple of stops and was panicking constantly. Today, I had to get the bus at 7.15am in order to get to work on time. I walked over the road, stood at the bus stop, no panic at all. The bus came, I was the only one on there! Paid my fare (£1.50!!!) that shocked me cos it was about 5 shillings and sixpence last time I travelled :winks:

A few more people got on on the way, but my anxiety was probably at about 1 out of 10 :yesyes:

The bus was obviously early so we sat around at several stops for a while with the bus door open and it was about -20 :mad:

I got off at my stop, and couldn't stop smiling that I'd actually done it and not really thought too much about it whilst on the bus :D

Kate

dawny
18-02-08, 13:25
Kate....

That Brilliant...well Done.

Love Dawny

Lilith1980
18-02-08, 13:26
Kate, well done honey that's excellent news :D

Jo xxxxx

Piglet
18-02-08, 13:40
Ooh as one who also finds buses difficult I can appreciate just what an achievement that was - well done Kate!! :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

honeybee3939
18-02-08, 13:56
HI Kate

WELL DONE YOU !!!

Im another that always struggled with the bus, so can understand how proud you must be hun !

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

cardmaker
18-02-08, 14:50
Well done Kate!!! It can only get easier from now on.
This bit made me laugh out loud :

...Paid my fare (£1.50!!!) that shocked me cos it was about 5 shillings and sixpence last time I travelled :winks:
Kate...

:D

Thanks for posting as it does help others to read of someone else's success.

leisa
18-02-08, 14:58
well done ur a star the more u do it the easier it will be keep up the good work its a great feeling when u achieve something little that feels so BIG well donexxxxxx leisa

kate
18-02-08, 15:10
Thanks everyone! Hubby came to pick me up from work and I told him I'd gone on the bus, and he was like "You did WHAT??" hehe.

I think I will probably do it again tomorrow just to prove to myself that I can! Still a bit miffed about the cost though :winks:

Kate

BasilCat
18-02-08, 15:38
Hi Kate, Well done, thats great news. At the weekend I drove the car 70 miles home from my parents in Yorkshire. That was the first time in almost 2 years too. Only a year ago I could bearly get the car 1/4 mile up the road to Tescos, so the 70 mile drive was a big thing. My husband was in the car with me at the time and I was ok although I am not sure I would want to try driving back to my parents on my own yet. But it was a great step forward anyway.

Love Shirley

bet
18-02-08, 18:42
well done to our brave ladies kate and Shirley!!:yesyes:

bet xx

kate
18-02-08, 18:55
Awww Shirley, a big WELL DONE to you :yesyes:

Thanks, Bet!

Kate

Karen
18-02-08, 19:26
That's brilliant mate. Well done :yesyes:

Karen xx

Southern_Belle
18-02-08, 20:00
Kate, great job and you state you want to do it again which is even better. Way to go!!!

Also, Shirley well done to you too.

Hugs,

Laura

Nibbles
18-02-08, 20:24
Well done Kate. :yesyes: It's great to hear your anxiety was so low too.

Well done to you too Shirley, that's a brilliant achievement. :yesyes:

Take care,

Mike :)

groovygranny
18-02-08, 21:25
Wow, way to go Kate and Shirley!

Posts like these are such an encouragement, even when one doesn't suffer the same anxiety!

Thank you both for sharing!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z139/theitroc/b131cc045e7706941eea7f7a423ac7f8.gif

TO BOTH OF YOU!!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:flowers:

kate
18-02-08, 21:36
Thanks everyone :shades::shades::shades: <<<<<<<<< that's me by the way LOL

Kate

ladygrom
19-02-08, 04:13
hi kate very well don brilliant and id also like to say well don to shirley your both very brave tcxxx

LucyA
19-02-08, 09:37
Well done Kate and Shirley!
Kate, what a great example of how we can overcome anxiety with the power of our minds alone- it sounds like you've found control- keep it up!!

Brave ladies :D xx

pips
19-02-08, 11:29
Ah Kate hun,

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s103/yourspacecooment/congrats/19.gif

I'm so pleased for you http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h191/curion123/m60/mmss3z/d1/01.gif

It feels so bloody fantastic:yahoo: when we achieve what will believe to be impossible hey.

Good on Ya,

Love & Wishes

Take Care,

Pip's :flowers: X X X X

Paddington
19-02-08, 11:56
WOWEE:yesyes: :yesyes: Oh Kate that is wonderful news..i have not been on a bus for years..one of my HUGE tasks to deal with.I know how thrilled you must be hun..well done and big hugs:hugs: :hugs: And Shirley too:hugs: way to go girl..that is amazing..you must be chuffed to bits:yesyes: :yesyes: What huge strides you have both made ...well done.Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

kate
19-02-08, 13:36
Well, not such a success today :mad:

I got on the later bus, didn't have to be in work until 8.30am and it was quite full. The early bus had about 8 people on it! There is a kind of television screen that shows what's going on upstairs and I was watching that. I saw a bloke lighting up a fag and started feeling anxious that something would kick off. I thought someone would complain then the driver would go and investigate and we would be all locked on the bus, anxiety went into overdrive :blush:.

So, I got off the bus. The buses only run every 30 minutes so I was kinda stuck :blush:

I set off walking to the shopping center about a 20 minute walk. It was foggy and freezing. I got to the shopping center and another bus was just getting to the stop. I ran and asked if it went by my work and luckily it did!

Paid another £1.50 (so travelling 4 miles to work cost me £3.00 today :blush:) Traffic was awful, bus was packed, but I stayed put. Got to work 15 minutes late :blush: I just said that the traffic was bad LOL.

So, a bit of a failure but I still got on another bus and did it in the end!

I'm taking the car tomorrow :whistles:

Kate

BasilCat
19-02-08, 16:20
Hi Bet, Thanks. That was the best thing I have done in ages. I am not scared of driving as such, just the unreality feeling getting out of hand when I am driving. I just took it steady though and it seemed to work. Kate has done marvellous to get on a bus too, hasnt she. Well done Kate.

Love Shirley
x x x

kate
19-02-08, 16:54
:doh: <<<<<<< that's how I'm feeling today!

Kate

Piglet
19-02-08, 17:11
Kate today was still a success hun - you were flexible with your approach and continued on on a different bus. I don't see anything but success in that myself! :yesyes:

kate
19-02-08, 17:16
Piglet, I told my son about it all and he said exactly the same as you, don't beat yourself up over it, you still did it!

Suppose it's the old black or white thinking. Because it didn't go 100% well, then I failed.

Not going to dwell on it though :D

Kate

BasilCat
19-02-08, 21:53
Hi Kate and everyone, Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. Kate, as Piglet said, you were still a success today. You walked for 20 minutes and got on another bus to get to work. Thats success as far as I am concerned. I do understand your Black and White thinking though and I have felt the same way as you. If something hasnt gone 100% right, then I feel I have failed. But I am trying to stop my self from thinking that way and see everything I do as a success, no matter how I feel at the time. And Kate, you never know, probably when you go on the bus again, you will be fine.

I got so I could use buses a year or so ago. But since my relapse I have not tackled them. Perhaps I should try again?

Thinking of you
You are not alone
Love Shirley
x x x

Piglet
19-02-08, 22:45
Aww well mate we are our own worst enemies at times are we not - we have to let go of perfection, or at least our idea of it. It doesn't much matter how we achieve our goal, as they say, 'if you're trying then you're succeeding'.:yesyes:

Well done today - even more of a success in a funny way than yesterday because today was hard but you still did it!!!:yesyes:

alexis
19-02-08, 23:48
Well Done Kate, cant remember last time I went on a bus, xxx

kate
20-02-08, 07:00
Shirley, Piglet and Alexis,

Thank you all so much for your kind words :hugs:

I haven't really pushed my boundaries for a while now, just kind of sat back and did what I felt I could and no more.

Yesterday really took it out of me. The 20 minute walk at 8am probably didn't help :blush: I felt very drained last night BUT I still sat and did some NVQ work, did some ironing and a bit of housework. I was in bed for 10pm!

I've got the car today so I'm using it :whistles: but I know I WILL get back on the bus again :D

Kate

Angel64
20-02-08, 09:44
Well done !!!! :hugs:

Christine xx :flowers:

BasilCat
20-02-08, 09:58
Hi Piglet, I agree, we have to let go of our idea of perfection. That is something I am having to do as I realised that if I went out and things werent "perfect" I was beating myself up about it. But now I see that thats not the way forward. As you say, as long as we are trying, then we are succeeding. We have to appreciate each step make dont we, no matter how we have felt at the time.

Love Shirley

BasilCat
20-02-08, 10:02
Hi Kate, You really did marvellous to cope with your bus rides yesterday and to walk for 20 minutes. That was an achievement in its self. I am just starting to get further away from the car when I am out and about. I am not up to being 20 minutes walk away from the car yet but I am definitely doing a lot better. I am sure you will soon be back on the bus again. I will have to try it myself one of these days.

Love Shirley

kate
20-02-08, 13:37
Thanks Shirley :hugs:

Got to say I did enjoy going to work in the car today :winks:

Kate

trac67
20-02-08, 14:33
Kate,

I think you did fab on both days mate :yesyes: you go girl lol

Love

Trac xxx

BasilCat
20-02-08, 14:54
Hi Kate, Glad to hear you enjoyed going to work in the car today. How far is it to work? I have just been to Asda (2 miles away) and had a hot chocolate in their cafe before getting the milk and bread etc. Then I had half an hour in the Range shop before my parking ticket ran out! Heres another tip that I have just remembered. Well, I went through a "phase" of thinking I had "failed" if I only had 30 minutes in town or what have you. It was like I only "passed" if I felt virtually normal and stayed out of the house for a certain length of time!! But I can see now that that was another thing that was setting me up for failure. So now I try and not monitor how long I am away from the house, or the car come to that, and dont monitor how I am feeling either, and this seems to have taken off some of the pressure. As was said earlier, as long as we keep trying, no matter how we are feeling, we are succeeding.

Keep up the good work.
Love Shirley

kate
20-02-08, 15:23
Thanks, Trac :hugs:

You are sooo right, Shirley! Onwards and upwards :D

Kate

kate
20-02-08, 15:24
Forgot to say, Shirley it's about 4 miles to work for me.

Kate

honeybee3939
20-02-08, 16:25
Kate

You did fab hun, even to walk to town on one of the coldest mornings of the year is a achievement in its self:yesyes: .

I know if i had been on that bus i would have probably got off myself thinking there could have been a confrontation:ohmy: . But you still carried on your journey, if it had have been me i would have got my mobile out and rang a taxi( i would have taken the easy option.lol). You did a good job there Kate you are alot stronger than you think, so dont beat your self up mate. WELL DONE!!!:yesyes:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

kate
20-02-08, 16:48
Thanks Andrea :hugs:

Kate xx

BasilCat
20-02-08, 18:09
Hi Kate, Yes, onwards and upwards. I agree completely. I will be driving the 10 miles to Martin Mere in the morning to do my voluntary work. I am on the info desk. Its is still only new and early days. I have only been about 3 times but I have been ok and enjoyed the company of the other women on the desk. Even managed to walk round and meet some of the geese, swans and ducks etc last time I was there.

I am grateful that I am able to drive the 10 miles to get there Kate and its great that you are able to drive to work too, isnt it. Last time I was at Martin Mere, I never expected that I would soon have driven 70 miles - somehow it was "easier" in the dark. I will have to try and drive a bit further (than the 10 miles I mean) on my own. I did the 70 miles with hubby sat next to me.

Take Care
Love Shirley

kate
20-02-08, 18:30
Shirley, you are doing GREAT!!! :yesyes: I hate driving in the dark oh and also fog, rain and snow LOL.

Keep up the good work!

Kate

jill
21-02-08, 10:13
Hi Kate,

Ohh hun, you did GREAT both time's, always remember, its the doing, that counts, this alone is succuss.

Please don't be to hard on yourself, look more on what you have achieved. WELL DONE.

I went to London the weekend, felt the need the work dame hard on my thought pattens when going on the tube train, blimey, there soo small.

I would suggest to pick another day when you have to be in work early and the busses are more empty, give it another go, YOU CAN DO IT.

Mind you, this time of year, a choice between taking the car or bussing it, IN THE COLD, mmm. I think, if I could drive, defo the car LOL but on that note, to move forward, the car needs to be left behind from time to time.

WELL DONE KATE

Thinking of you always

LOVE JILLXXX

BasilCat
21-02-08, 18:19
Hi Kate, How have you been today? I know what you mean about the dark and the fog and the rain and snow etc. I suppose I drove all those miles in the dark so no-one could see the "worried" look on my face!!!! But I dont like driving in the snow, ice and fog etc.

Anyway heres proof that we can still have a "good" day even with a not so good start, as I had this morning! I felt rough and in tears but being determined not to let it beat me, I got in the car and drove those 10 miles to Martin Mere again and had a "good" day on their info desk. So it just goes to show that no matter how we feel when we get up, we can still do things and have a good day.

Hope you have had a good day too.
Love Shirley
x x x

kate
22-02-08, 06:53
Thanks Jill :hugs:

I can get the early bus every Monday as it's the only day I start work at 8am, the rest of the week it's 8.30am.

I WILL get the bus again, I will keep going as it's the only way to get over this :D

Lovely to hear from you :)

Shirley, WELL DONE to you again :hugs: You are doing soooo well! I hope you are very proud of yourself :yesyes:

Kate xxx

sarajane
22-02-08, 07:46
:yahoo:
I just love hearing positive success stories. :yahoo: :yahoo:

It gives me so much inspiration hearing what the two have you have done this week.

Yeee Haaa Go girls Go!! You two 'rock'. . . :yahoo:

I'm having one more week off work and then I (hopefully) will be posting my own success story, so stay tuned.

I'm so happy after reading your thread Kate, thanks girls for the inspiration your news has given me.

lots of love and big hugs
Sarajane

xxxxxxxx

BasilCat
22-02-08, 08:42
Hi Kate, I hope you are proud of yourself too. You have got the right attitude when you say that, "You will keep going as its the only way to get over this". Thats what I am doing too.

I have got my visit with the Psychologist this morning at 11.30am so I will let you know how it goes.

Hi Sarajane, I love reading positive success stories too. It lifts me inside and I know that if other people can over come this anxiety, I can too. WE ALL CAN!!

Yes Sarajane, you WILL be posting your own success story so I will definitely stayed tuned.

Love Shirley
x x x

kate
22-02-08, 15:11
Hi Shirley,

Yes I am proud of myself :D The only ONLY way to get over this is to keep pushing the boundaries and making myself do more and more.

It's my daughters birthday next Tuesday so we are going to TGI's for a meal on Sunday. I've never been there, usually stick to the carvery about 2 minutes up the road! But, I'm going and I'm not even worrying about it....yet!

Kate

jill
22-02-08, 15:43
Hi Kate,

Ohh you go girl, you know you can do it, and Please, stop with the YET, your all going to have a great time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HANNAH

TAKE CARE

ALWAYS THINKING OF YOU

LOVE JILLXXX

kate
22-02-08, 21:02
Thanks, Jill, yes I will be fine :D

Thanks for the birthday wishes for Hannah, my little girlie will be 16 :ohmy:

Hope your Hannah is still doing well :hugs:

Love Kate xxx

kate
24-02-08, 14:12
Little update......

Yesterday I drove my dads new car! I'm used to driving a KA and my dads got a Focus estate! Doesn't seem too big a deal but it took me a good few weeks to drive it last time he got a new car!

Also, Hannah wanted to go over to her friends house over by where we used to live. It was only 7.30pm but it was dark, and I don't do driving in the dark. But, although hubby and son were both here, I said I would drive her :ohmy: It's a 15 minute drive there and back. I was fine, no panicking :yesyes:

Then, today, we went to TGI's for a meal for Hannahs birthday, never been there before. Felt apprehensive for about 15 minutes but then, food arrived, and I relaxed and even started to enjoy myself :shades: Afterwards, we went to the shops and I bought a pair of boots and a top, little reward me thinks :D

So, it's been a good weekend for pushing myself and I feel dead pleased with myself :yahoo:

Kate

sarajane
24-02-08, 15:07
You rock girl. So the drinks are on you tonight?
SJ

kate
24-02-08, 16:50
Thanks Sarajane :hugs:

Yep, drinkies on me tonight :shades:

Kate

BasilCat
24-02-08, 17:23
Hi kate, I am really pleased to hear about you driving your dads new car in the dark and going out for a meal today at TGIs. Thats great stuff Kate. Then you went and bought some boots and a top. Well I think you did right. I am so pleased to hear that you have done so well and that you feel dead pleased with your self.

I went out with hubby yesterday. He drove. We went to a car boot sale whilst the kids were swimming and then we went to the botanical gardens for a coffee and a look in the gift shop etc. I was doing well as I did not ask for the car keys!! I had gotten into the habit of asking for the car keys incase I needed somewhere to "hide" if the going got tough! But yesterday I didnt ask for the keys at all and other than feeling a bit unreal, I was fine. We were out of the house for about 3 hours too. After the coffee etc we went to collect the kids at the pool and came home for lunch.

After lunch I went down to Asda and instead of parking right outside the entrance, I parked right at the far end of the car park. This is another good sign too.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Love Shirley
x x x

kate
24-02-08, 17:41
Oh WELL DONE Shirley :D

You are doing sooo well, keep going, mate!

Kate

BasilCat
24-02-08, 21:34
Hi kate, Thanks. I think that we are both doing so well. I hope that you have had a good day today. I was round at Mother in Laws (MILs) for 1.5 hrs with hubby and the kids this afternoon. But I plan to do as you say and keep going. Tomorrow morning is Slimming World and Thursday I will be on the info desk at Martin Mere again. I would like more voluntary work but its not easy finding something suitable. I wanted to be a Welcomer at the nearby hospital and was quite upset when they wouldnt let me do it as I could only work term time only!! I was going to give them 2 or 3 days for nothing and they turned me away, I wasnt amused. I will keep looking though.

I am glad I have been out with hubby and the kids though as I have been reluctant in recent months as I didnt want them to see me upset with anxiety but I am feeling a bit easier about that now too. Its getting better Kate, slowly but surely.

We WILL come through this, I am sure.

Love Shirley

kate
24-02-08, 21:39
Blimey, fancy the hospital turning you down :ohmy:

Hope you have a good day tomorrow! I've got work at 8.30am, then back home at 1pm, pick daughter up from school at 3.30pm then pick son up from work at 4pm! Never ending LOL

Have a good day tomorrow!

Kate

BasilCat
25-02-08, 14:56
Hi kate, Yes, the hospital turned me down. I was not amused. However, by co-incidence I have just had the lady ring up from the WRVS asking me if I would like to go and help in the hospital shop! I know that the WRVS dont set on Welcomers - the hospital staff do that. So it was the hospital that turned me down. I have already asked the WRVS if they accept term time only help and she said yes, and that it was fine. So I have to go on Wednesday to fill in an application form at 2pm.

What job do you do? I have had a rough time finding paid work as I have no help with the kids in the school holidays. And we have no relatives here either. Well we do. But then its only MIL but she has never gotten involved with the kids in any shape or form.

I have not felt as bright this morning but I still went to Slimming World and joined in - I help out there on a Monday mornings. So anything is possible, no matter how we feel in a morning.

Hope you are having a good day too.

Keep up the good work.
Shirley

kate
25-02-08, 16:23
Hi Shirley,

I too am feeling pretty poo today :mad:

I work part time at a pre school, only 21 hours per week though, term time only and I don't get paid in the holidays.

I don't enjoy having the school holidays off anymore now my own kids are 16 and 18 it's very boring on my own. I'm looking to get a job working 52 weeks a year, don't know whether I will stay in childcare or not, the wages are soooo low.

Good luck on Wednesday!

Kate xx

sandlin
25-02-08, 18:21
http://www.free-animations.co.uk/messages/miscellaneous/images/message_16.gifTo all of you for your success.

Linda xx

BasilCat
26-02-08, 08:32
Hi Kate, I hope you are feeling a bit better this morning. I feel a bit better than I did yesterday. I am just toying with the idea of driving up to Skelmersdale (12 miles) or Preston (17 miles) as I want to get back into driving again, even though I drove 70 miles the other weekend and I have been driving locally for 6 months or so.

I see your point about the school holidays. A term time only job would be ideal for me as my kids are 14 (twins) and not at a stage where I feel I can leave them for any length of time. Well, we leave them for an hour to go and get the shopping but usually not much longer than that. They fight a lot you see and I have no support here with them during the school holidays.

I am wondering how I will get on at the hospital tomorrow. The same lady rang me up a year ago but I didnt feel like I could cope then. I will definitely go tomorrow though. If I can cope with Martin Mere 10 miles away, I can cope with the hospital a mile away. And thankfully I have been told that I dont have to pay any car parking fees. They are £3 at our hospital!!

Hope you have a good day.
Back soon
Shirley

kate
26-02-08, 14:12
Hi Shirley,

Yes, I'm having a much better day today, thanks! No anxiety and work went well.

It's my daughters 16th Birthday today which is why we went out on Sunday. She has stage school tonight plus hubby and son are at work so tonight was out of the question.

Look forward to hearing how it went at the hospital!

Kate xxx

BasilCat
26-02-08, 14:17
Hi Kate, Well I went out for a drive this morning. Went to Morrisons on Preston Dock for a cuppa (nearly 20 miles) and then carried on to Dobbies Garden Centre on the road to Blackpool. Felt a bit strange on the way to Preston Dock but not enough to stop me driving. Then I had about an hour in Dobbies before heading back through Preston! I stopped off at a village between Preston and Southport to get something to eat and also to visit the craft shop though I didnt buy anything. Then I went to Somerfield and down the coast road to see if the sea was up - it was - a miracle for Southport!! Then I came home, having covered just over 48 miles! Its the furthest I have driven on my own since about 2 years ago! When I did the 70 miles the other week I had hubby with me. Did I feel 100% whilst driving you may be wondering. No. I didnt but I think I will try again on Friday or next week. At least I am pushing myself, even though I dont feel completely right. These things can still be done.

I hope you are having a good day.

Love Shirley

BasilCat
26-02-08, 14:20
Hi kate, I have just posted my message and seen your message! I am glad you are having a good day with no anxiety and that work has gone well for you. I hope your daughter is enjoying her birthday too.

I will keep you posted re the hospital appointment tomorrow ok.

Love Shirl

kate
26-02-08, 14:28
Shirley! Well done to you :yesyes:

Kate xx

clickaway
27-02-08, 00:23
Hey well done Kate.

Did you ask for a child fare out of habit? :winks:

kate
27-02-08, 06:53
Yes of course I did Ray, it's this face cream, takes years off me :shades:

Kate

BasilCat
27-02-08, 09:10
Hi kate, Hope you are having a good day today and feeling ok too. I feel a bit better this morning and the sun makes such a difference. I wont be going so far today, just into town to look for wrapping paper and a card to go with an anniversary gift I bought yesterday. Then of course I am at the hospital shop at 2pm. So thats about it for today really. The hospital is only a mile away and the town is only 2 miles away, so on the doorstep really.

Speak soon
Shirley.
PS. Did you feel the earthquake last night?!! We did.

kate
27-02-08, 15:10
Hi Shirley,

Hope it went well at the hospital shop!

Yes, I had a good day today thanks. No panic though I feel a bit weepy, maybe a bit of early PMT LOL.

No, I never heard a thing last night, had a really good sleep! Hubby was at work, on nights, and he said the whole place vibrated! The kids never felt anything either :blush:

Hope you are having a good day :hugs:

Kate xx

BasilCat
29-02-08, 16:40
Hi kate, Hope you are ok today and have been these last couple of days. Things went well at the hospital shop apart from the fact that I was taken to the hospital canteen for the interview and it was like walking into the jungle - very hot and steamy and how I sat there for 30 minutes I dont know, but I did. It went well although there are no definite vacancies at the moment and they are just going to call me in, as and when, to get used to the till and all the various jobs etc. Then there may be a job going with a definite time. I said that that was ok for now.

Glad to hear you had a good day on Wednesday with no panic. Thats great stuff isnt it. I feel weepy often these days too. My Psychologist said it was normal, now that the anxiety is a bit less and there is more room in my mind to think about where my life is going and what I have missed out on during the last couple of years.

Yesterday I did my voluntary job at Martin Mere 10 miles away. I didnt feel as bright, though I ended up walking to the far end of the grounds, well out of my comfort zone!! But I did it. I was feeling unreal but I managed all the same. When we (me and Howerd) got back to the info desk I was a bit dithery but managed to drive home fine so not a problem.

Today I was in town and felt unreal again so I was, in a manner of speaking, holding my own hand!! You know, telling myself that I was fine and that nothing bad was going to happen and that I was alright etc. After a while the unreality got less and then I had an hot chocolate in Asda. Still felt unreal but I sat there with my newspaper and nobody was any the wiser - plus I was fine.

By the way, I have had to cope with this unreality before in years gone by and for anyone else who is troubled with it, it has ALWAYS stopped bothering me after a while. So it will do this time too. And it will for you if you are bothered with it. I am going to a party tonight. Once my focus is off the unreality it will stop troubling me.

We felt the earthquake here by the way. I am just glad it was no worse.

Hope you are having a good day kate and that you have a good weekend.

Shirley

kate
29-02-08, 16:54
Hi Shirley,

Glad the interview went well and that you did your voluntary work :yesyes:

Oooh the unreality grrrr. Was my very first symptom all those years ago. I don't get it very often anymore but, if I do, I now longer worry about it.

I had planned to go into town after work yesterday. I somehow got volunteered to get a gift voucher for someone that was leaving :shrug:

Anyway, I mentioned to another girl I work with that I was going into town and she said she was going as well so I said I would give her a lift. Then, I had another spur of the moment thingie :ohmy: I said to her shall we have lunch there as well and she said yes, that would be nice.

So, we did our bits of shopping and went to BHS resaurant. Hadn't been there since the children were little and it was really nice. Had a panini, some chips (:blush:) and a cappucino. It wasn't very crowded and we sat for over an hour eating and having a nice chat. Panic level nil :D

Tonight, daughter is going to Pizza Hut and I've got to pick her up afterwards, in the DARK arghhhhhh. Is about a 15 minutes or so drive and she wont be finished til around 8pm. THEN, son is going to the pub in town, about a 10 minute drive, at about 9pm and he's asked me to take him cos he will be having a drink! Arghhhhhh more driving in the flipping dark, I like to chill on a Friday night, no chance of that.

He wont be coming home til about midnight but I'm hoping he will be getting a taxi cos NO WAY would I go into town at that time of night, dark AND drunken people swaying around!

Anyway, I will post here again later, if I survive :roflmao:

Kate xx

BasilCat
02-03-08, 09:21
Hi kate, I hope you are having a good weekend. Yes the interview went well and I did my job at Martin Mere too.

Not good this unreality is it. Do you find that it leaves you quicker if you dont worry about it? Driving is of course a big concern when it comes to the unreality but so far I have managed and the unreality has not been "bad" enough to stop me. In fact I would say I am feeling more confident with the car as time goes by.

Wonderful to hear about your lunch in BHS and that your panic level was NIL. Thats great news kate.

How did you get on with your driving in the dark on Friday night. I bet you coped really well didnt you. I drove back in the dark from Yorkshire (70 miles) a couple of weeks ago! I am not used to driving in the dark, either!!

I hope that your son got a taxi home though. No joke, being out at that time of night with lots of drunken people around. I was out myself on Friday night - most unusual. I was at a surprise Ruby Wedding party!! So I had to drive back in the dark at 11pm too. The party went well by the way and I managed to stay there from 7.15pm till almost 11pm with no anxiety either. There were 80 people there too!

I feel a bit unreal now though so I am going to try and do as you do and NOT worry about it.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon
Shirley
x x x

kate
02-03-08, 09:53
Hi Shirley,

Yes, I did the driving in the dark thingy, and it was fine :yesyes: Son got a taxi back at about 1.30am, he wasn't drunk apparantly!

The unreality really was my most scary symptom, lasted for years. Don't really know when it left to be honest but I do still have the odd day when it returns. I just don't worry about it anymore as I've experienced it for so many years!

Well done on going to the party, that's a big achievement :D

Look forward to speaking soon :)

Kate xxx

Karen
02-03-08, 11:17
Well done Kate! I just wanted to say I think you are doing brilliantly :yesyes:

Karen xx

kate
02-03-08, 13:07
Awww thanks Karen :hugs:

You are doing brilliantly too :D

Kate xxx

BasilCat
02-03-08, 21:56
Hi Kate, Glad your drive in the dark was fine. I have had the unreality on and off, mild and severe, for almost a couple of years now. It is improving I think but yes, very frightening. Its just getting past the idea that something bad is going to happen as a result of it. Like when I walked to the far end of Martin Mere with it the other day!! I was feeling unreal but I just thought, "Stuff it" I am going to do this. Thing is the unreality has made me feel like I dont want to be far from my car or a loo or the house etc. But I am slowly coming round to the fact that nothing awful is going to happen and that I can venture a bit further away from the car or what have you. I will have to take a leaf out of your book and not worry about it anymore, after all, you are still here after suffering with it for so long and so am I.

Yes I did well going to the party didnt I. I had this inner feeling that I would be ok there. And I was. I just need to get hold of this inner feeling on a more regular basis no matter where I am going or what I am doing.

We will all get there Kate I am sure. It just takes time, doesnt it.

Back soon
Love Shirley

neptuno
03-03-08, 11:53
The Queen song "Don't stop me now" springs to mind !!!!!
Now you now you can ..................

Be kind to yourself

kate
11-03-08, 21:15
Thanks Neptuno :D

Welllll, another success tonight! Hannah had stage school and hubby and son at work again :mad:soooooo, me to do the taking and fetching.

Wind howling, rain lashing and me going :scared15: and :scared10: and :scared11: and concentrating so hard on just driving.

Anyway, rain stopped :D I dropped Hannah off and carried on to Mom and Dad in laws house, which we always do on Tuesdays as it's closer to stage school than coming home.

I was telling MIL and DIL how panicky the driving in the dark/wind/rain was to me and MIL offered to follow me back in case I panicked. BUT I SAID NO :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: I would cope.

Came out of theirs, wind was so strong could hardly open the car door. Finally managed to get in and drove off in wind and rain and dark to pick Hannah up.

Got there, picked her up, then had to drive back down roads with fields either side, lovely for totally picking up the full force of the wind. Straight past our house then to pick son up from work at 8pm. Back along our road and HOME, yes HOME, all safe and sound :D

Phewwwww!!!!

Kate

alexis
12-03-08, 00:04
AWWWWWWWWWWWW glad you are home safe and sound, well done you!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Piglet
12-03-08, 10:04
:yesyes:

Love Piglet :flowers: