PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram side effects

decca
19-02-08, 11:12
I've read on here that the side effects experienced when starting Citalopram is "horendous" - but what do people mean by horendous ?
Decca.

yorkylover
19-02-08, 12:32
Best thing is not to read the side affects.Most people dont get any,others get mild side affects.When I started them I felt sicky and very tired.It went off after two weeks.
I dont read the slip,I let my dad have that and then If I feel anything I ask if its on the slip.:hugs:

decca
19-02-08, 13:57
Hi Ellen,
Yes that's a good idea, but it's just that people on here describe the side effects as "horrendous", just wondering what they actually mean.
Decca

sandbanks
19-02-08, 14:52
HI DECCA
AHH SIDE EFFECT DONT READ LEAFLET MIND WILL DO OVER TIME!!!!

I STARTED 7 JAN, BEST THING I EVER DID, SUFFERED ON AND OFF FOR 18 YEARS, AND NEVER TOOK MEDS, WISH I HAD BEFORE, FIRST WEEK I FELT NOT GOOD BUT TO BE TRUTHFULL MY ANXIETY WAS SO BAD, DONT NO IF IT WAS MEDS OR NOT, BUT EITHER WAY, I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW, HAD NO ANXIETY OR PANIC FOR 5 WEEKS, I STARTED WITH 10MG AND AFTER 2 WEEKS DOC BUT ME UP TO 20MG WHICH SEEMS NORMAL PRACTICE.

I COULD GO INTO ALL SYMPTOMS BUT TO BE TRUTHFULL, YOU BETTER JUST TAKING THEM AND SEEING HOW U GO, EVERYONE DIFFRENT, LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING,SOME NOT TOO GOOD, BUT U NO WITHIN A WEEK YOUR START TO FEEL BETTER.

PM ME IF YOU WANT TO TALK AND IL HELP ALL I CAN, BUT REMEMBER LOOKING AT THREADS, THERES MORE GOOD THAN BAD.

TAKE CARE
SANDY:flowers:

cl13
19-02-08, 15:42
Hi Decca

Like the others have side, don't read the side effects as not everyone will experience them. I have been taken 20mg for the past 3 weeks, and I feel alot better. I did have increased anxiety for a while, but at the end of the day, I did not know if I would have had that anyway. Stick with it, and it will get better

Love Clairex

doglover
19-02-08, 18:41
Hi Decca
I dont know if it was me who used the term horrendous. I've got a feeling it might have been. I was in such a state anyway that it probably wasnt just down to the citalopram but i just felt very on edge and could not relax or concentrate on anything. I felt like i was on the verge of a panic attack alot of the time but never did and haven't had one since i started taking it.
Its the second time ive taken it and the first time i had NO side effects at all.
Any side effects are now just a distant memory and were definately worth it. I feel great now.
Please dont be put off by peoples comments. People only generally feel the need to post about it if they are having side effects and need a bit of moral support.
Good luck
Donna x

decca
19-02-08, 21:51
Thanks everyone,
It seems that it just makes anxiety worse for a while.
Did anyone get -
Fatigue,drowsiness,dry mouth,sweating,trembling,headache,dizziness,sleep problems,cardiac arrhythmias,stomach upsets, suicidal thoughts etc.?

Donna - I was just generalising and used "Horrendous" to describe what some people have said what it's like starting off with Citalopram.

Decca

Nibbles
19-02-08, 22:46
Hi Decca,

My experience on starting citalopram wasn't too bad and if I'm honest I found it really hard to differenciate between anxiety and possible side effects. I felt quite lethargic and apathetic as well as nauseous with a dry mouth. However when my anxiety is bad I get the last two symptoms anyway! :wacko:

Take care,

Mike :)

hopeful
20-02-08, 09:00
Hi Decca,

All I'll say is that it made me feel worse for a week or two before it made me feel better.All the side effects were temporary for me,apart from the yawning which I still get now but just ignore it and it passes.
julie x :hugs:

roziexwx
20-02-08, 11:19
i too take citalopram started off at 5mg...worked up to 40 mg wich made me too tired,back to 30mg now and feeling ok,a few side effects suh as grinding teeth and clenching jaw but that too has gone now,yes i had the sicky feeling but that also went,all in all it has been good for me,and fel better now than i have in a long while,so ride the side effects and take one day at a time and you will be fine.x:yesyes:

joannap
20-02-08, 12:57
hi - i think i may have used the term horrendous too! my anxiety had reached a scary level anyway so who knows how much it was the tablets but my mind raced at 100 miles an hour - i literally felt i was going to tip over into my thoughts and not come back. I also felt really tired and had jaw clenching and insommnia. i did also get thoughts telling me to kill myself but i knew they were just thoughts and so tried not to emotionally react to them. however you will read that side effects always pass within 2-3 weeks so it is worth sticking them out. I think most people on here would use the term horrendous meaning that their individual anxiety symptoms were amplified until they started to feel better. x

samc100
20-02-08, 19:52
I couldn't tell if it was the tablets or my state of mind at the time.... It was rough going but after 2 weeks it eased and I managed to get my life back on track and begin to learn how to cope with PA's.

decca
21-02-08, 15:42
Thanks everyone,
My worry is , what if I start Citalopram and they make me worse permanently, what then ?
Also -
What does spaced out mean ?

Decca.

Kitty121
21-02-08, 16:44
Decca

Try to give up the "what if's" in life. You won't know for sure until you try. I find keeping positive really helps so much. I wish you all the best.

Kitty xx

ps. day 9 and feeling better.

hopeful
22-02-08, 10:00
Hi Decca,

What if they make you better permanently?

The spaced out feeling is like youve had a few drinks,but if you keep occupied and dont pay it any attention,it passes.At least it did with me.
julie x:hugs:

Loobs
03-03-08, 22:54
Hi Decca, I've been taking citalopram for the last 3 years and I felt a bit strange at first, I used to wake up after only 3 hours sleep, but that only lasted for a few nights, I found that they helped me to relax after a while and I dont know if it was a coincidence but after taking these and having couselling, I found it easier to go out alone, something I hadn't done for years. I even got a job after taking them, which had been impossible before, they helped me to get my confidence back as my panics became less. I thought it was well worth putting up with the mild side effects because of the benefits they had. Hope they work for you Decca, good luck, Loobs :yesyes:

shakygirl
04-03-08, 07:45
I have been taking it for coming up to 2 weeks now and although I felt more edgy and shaky when I started taking it I am already feeling the benefits. I was like you Decca - read the leaflet and panicked so didn't start taking it straight away. I really regret that now as I would be 2 weeks further down the line of feeling better. After being given these tablets I have found that loads of people I know either take or have taken them and they are all fine with them too.

Stay positive and give them a try.