PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing dizzynes..waiting for scans..serious?

tattybear
12-03-05, 20:47
Hi everyone

Im new on here today....ive been suffering with depression for ages now...its such a hard struggle. The thing which has made me like this is that ive been suffering with dizzyness for nearly 2 years now. Its got progressivly worse. Obvioulsy as im suffering with anxiety this doesn halp but tests at the hospital show an abnormality in my ears anf swollen thyroid.

Im now waiting to have an MRI scan. Im so scared.........im panicing about the test and i have it in my head that its cancer or a tummour. Which just makes my depression worse :(
:(

Tatty B xx

seh1980
12-03-05, 21:09
hello there,

I too had an MRI scan and all came back normal. Dizziness is normal when suffering from depression or anxiety so I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about!!

Sarah :D

lainey
12-03-05, 21:18
Hi Tatty B

Welcome to the forum, I suffer a lot with dizzyness and I know it's due to anxiety, try not to worry too much.

Take care

Elaine x

nomorepanic
12-03-05, 21:48
Normall feelings - the test is to reassure you that is all.

Nicola

FAN
12-03-05, 22:05
hi im sure you will be fine and problems with your ears could be the cause too as that makes you feel dizzy

fan x

henri
12-03-05, 22:18
hi there,
sounds like it could be something with your ears - if that's the case then they'll be able to sort it out and hopefully that should get rid of some of the dizzyness.
good luck with the scan, let us know how it goes,
henri x

Meg
13-03-05, 00:14
Hi Tattybear,

The MRI will really be able to pinpoint the issues by your thyroid or ears and then something can be put in place to start to help you feel better.

Any thyroid issues can give you the same symptoms as panic anyway. Do you have a date for the test yet ?

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

davidr
13-03-05, 03:01
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are feeling unwell.

When you say the hospital tests show an abnormality in your ears have they explained fully what this abnormality is and how they intend to treat it? Equally have they explained the reasons for and usual treatment of a swollen thyroid? Does your anxiety stem from the dizzy spells or were you suffering with anxiety before this?

With regard to cancer and tumors your doctors would be aware of the profile of such life threatening diseases which would nearly always exhibit many other symptons above and beyond dizzy spells. They would equally not keep you waiting for an MRI for several years if they felt you fitted any known profile of a brain tumor.

Hospital tests are never pleasant, catastrophising their outcome adds further stress. Post your concerns on here and I am sure you will find an encouraging supportive network of people who can offer you good advice. Equally talk to your GP and let them know how worried you are and explain it is causing anxiety and I am sure they will go through any concerns you have.

tattybear
13-03-05, 09:31
Hi guys...thanks for you support.

The dizzyness has been going on for a couple of years.this has now in the past year casued me to be depressed and suffer with anxiety.

The hospitla have confirmed there is something wrong so now its time for an mri scan to try and find out what it is.
the anxiety does make it worse but there is a differeence in the feeling.

I got a letter from hospital last week saying in on a waiting list for the mri scan.i think i just want it over with now!!

I am also hoping on the scan it will just be my head going in the tube like thing.....otherwise i think ill panic!!

Can anyone tell me what an mri was like? was there any injections or anything involved??

thanks guys

Tatty B xx

nomorepanic
13-03-05, 11:39
Hi again Tatty

Love the name by the way!

Sadie on here had an MRI scan so you may like to read through her post ...

MRI SCAN (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=760)

Hope it helps.

Nicola

vernon
13-03-05, 11:43
Hi welcome to the site. I suffer a lot with dizzines and realy hate it. I have had all the tests the same as you but they found nothing. Its like Henri and Meg said. (and Meg is a full nurse and done a lot or reserch into these probles) So, dont worry even look at it as a good sighn if its your ears or thyroid, as these are common problems and if it is that they can defenatley sort out your dizzines. Good luck and take care. Vernon

tattybear
13-03-05, 11:52
Hi guys

Thanks so much for your kind words and thanks nomorepanic for the link..im halfway through readng it and although i am still panicking about it and being in the tube thingy....its nice to hear from those whove been thru it and survived!

Tatty B xx

lisarose
13-03-05, 12:44
Hi Tatty B,

Sorry you have been suffering so much but I am sure if it was anything serious like cancer or a tunour etc then the hospital wouldn't have put you on a waiting list for the MRI scan you would have been seen straight away. I had to wait over 6 months for a CT as I was suffering from really bad headaches and was so worried that I even considered going private as I was convinced I had a brain tumour and would die before I had the CT scan. My GP assured me that if it was anything serious then I would have been seen straight away and that this should reassure me which it didn't and I had 6 months of total anxiety until I had the scan which came back fine.

I am sure everything will turn out o.k but I know how worrying the wait can be.

Take care
Love Lisaxxx

davidr
14-03-05, 23:19
Hi Tatty B,

I had some tests last week and received a letter this morning a few days afterwards informing me I have to go back and see the consultant next monday. This is usually a sign that problems have been found and this is the way hospitals doctors etc operate.

My problem requires immediate medical attention hence I will be seen within a week of the hopsital tests. Placing you on an MRI waiting list is a good sign as the tests they have carried out on you obviously do not reveal an urgent condition such as MS or Cancer or you would be seen straight away.

Appointments occur upon the basis of medical priority take comfort in this fact.

tattybear
15-03-05, 09:38
Hi

thanks everyone for your support and yur input...it has put my mind at rest a bit...I am still anxious about what it could be / the mri scan....but i am trying my hardest to convince myself if it was serious it wouldve been sooner (althou my brains telling me...what it is summat serious and the longer i wait the worse its gonna get and cant treat what it is etc etc!)

But i am trying t o focus on other things to take my mind off it.its just hard as the dizzyness is always there and because thevy confirm somthing isnt right with my iner ear / thyroid my mind is still working over time!!

Argh...see! I try and tell my self its not serious then i go off on about it again! Lol

Whoes Idea was it to have minds?!

Tatty B xx

april tones
15-03-05, 23:03
hi tatty b, i have had mri yesterday and was feeling the smae. read my post. do a search on me. good luck!! hope you feel better, love april xx

apriltones

april tones
15-03-05, 23:06
hi tatty b, i have had mri yesterday and was feeling the smae. read my post. do a search on me. good luck!! hope you feel better, love april xx

apriltones

Meg
16-03-05, 13:51
mri head and cervical spine (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2755)

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Mikke
01-08-08, 01:51
I'm sure your scan turns out fine... think positive, and try not to involve yourself with negative thinking.

I struggled with extreme dizzyness for over five months. The doctors didn't find anything wrong, and I saw many of them. I had an infection in one of my ears, and it all started after that.
I was prescribed medications to deal with all the nausea, and often drove to the hospital for a shot of medications like that.
It got progressively worse, to the point where I couldn't stand up for a week without getting so dizzy my bloodpressure dropped and i fainted.
But guess what?
One of the doctors said he didn't think I would need any more anti-nausea shots when I got to the hospital the last time, and set up an appointment with a psychologist the next morning instead.
I was actually supported by my brother and my girlfriend walking into his office, I couldn't walk - but when I came out, I wasn't dizzy at all.
I had somatized. I read somewhere that this kind of earinfection could lead to longlasting dizzyness, and my brain made me dizzy and sick for months.

Don't read up on cancer or any other illness :) Let the doc's do their job, and you do yours: beeing a patient.

Good luck, hope everything turns out ok...