PDA

View Full Version : Persevere on Lustral, or quit!?

design2
20-02-08, 07:35
Hello all - this is my first post, so hi!
I've suffered from panic disorder on and off for about 8 years, first time it was really bad, I didn't take anything and just somehow dealt with it. Second time it hit me hard I was 7 months pregnant and went off the deep end in way - couldn't leave my house, constant panic, crying all the time, etc etc. I got on Lustral then and it was a miracle. I was so far gone I don't think I remember any side effects.
Well, now it's happening again - I was getting panic attacks after not having them for about 4 years. I wanted to nip it in the bud, so I went to the doc and got a prescription for Lustral again cause I knew it worked before. I started one week ago at 25mg, then 2 nights ago went to 50mg. Yesterday was the worst day I can remember, non-stop panic, severe depression, sweaty palms, a terrible "out-of-it" feeling, shaky, AWFUL!! I've been having insomnia too. I called my doctor and she said to change my schedule to take the pill in the morning, and just stick it out, cause side effects usually get worse before they get better. It's about time I take my pill, but I'm scared to death to have another day like yesterday! I actually feel pretty awful right now, and I'm just not sure what to do. I've read a lot about perservering through the first few weeks of meds, I'm just nervous that it's actually the meds making me feel so much worse. Should I stick it out!?

lesleyB
20-02-08, 09:55
Hi, the side affects of lustral can be very bad for a few weeks, but usually settle down. I take mine in the morning and feel ok so far.
Hope you feel better soon.:hugs:
Lesleyb

Tinkerbell200
22-02-08, 15:08
Hi Im back on Lustral again for the 2nd time. I had forgotten how bad the initial side effects were. I cant sleep, shaky, feel sick bad stomach, but I am sticking it out because Lustral worked wonders for me last time. the only med that has really helped! :hugs:

design2
22-02-08, 19:48
Well, an update from me! Lustral just didn't do it for me this time. After being on it for about 12 days, the past 5 days have been complete and utter hell for me - non-relenting panic and severe depression, crying then panic, then crying and more panic. I felt 1,000 times worse than before I started taking it. So, I stopped taking it, went to see my GP today, and she said it was good I stopped taking it. She said the serotonin levels in my body when I took the Lustral before were probably MUCH lower than they are now, so now, the increase in serotonin was just too much for my body to take. I'm feeling better by the minute, thank God.
She prescribed me Citalopram, but suggested I try St John's Wort first, which I think I'll do, since I'd rather be on something natural.
I guess some things just work better for some people, at different levels of depression and anxiety! It's all so confusing, wish there was a simple answer.

kaz79
28-02-08, 18:36
In my experience, citalopram is nasty. I was on it for about 6 months and came out the other end with a psychotic disorder and was put on olanzapine for 3 months.
After taking citalopram I was hospitalised 3 times in as many months due to suicide attempts.
Go for the st. johns wort. Less side effects.