PDA

View Full Version : Throat Symptoms

Shelly
20-02-08, 21:45
Hi, I posted under Symptoms yesterday and didn't get too many responses. I keep having this fluttery type feeling in my throat, swallowing a lot, clearing my throat, feels like my heart will start skipping beats or something. However it is up in my throat area. Scared out of mine, can't calm down, shaking, can't function real well around my 3 small kids. Anyone ever have this? Can anyone help me? Thank you.

sandbanks
20-02-08, 21:58
yes shelly i have it some times, im getting over flu at moment, and with all that coughing,sneezing, and phleme, has started it up again, but the more i think about it the worse it gets, it is an anxiety symtom, but if your really worried you should go and get doc to have a look in throat, just to put your mind at rest.

hope it gets better soon
keep us posted
sandy

doglover
20-02-08, 22:03
Hi Shelley
Sounds like your symptoms are anxiety. Difficulty swallowing and mucus in the throat are caused by anxiety and if you are stressing about it , it makes the symptoms worse and cause the fluttering etc. The anxiety is self perpetuating. Ive often had a feeling like something is stopping me swallowing properly and am forever clearing my throat. I even had a barium swallow where they x ray you swallowing a disgusting liquid but nothing was found. Once id been checked out it didnt happen so much anymore cos i wasnt worrying about it so much.
It really doesnt sound like anything untoward.
Try to do some relaxation exercises (with 3 kids lol)
Take care
Donna x

nomorepanic
20-02-08, 22:06
Try the posts under here...
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784

Nibbles
21-02-08, 22:16
Hi Shelly,

Uncomfortable sensations in my throat are one of my most common symptoms so you're not alone. For me my throat can often feel, tight, tickly, dry, or as if there is a lump but it is nothing sinister. I think the sensations are caused by your throat muscles tensing in response to anxiety.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Mike :)

jacq
22-02-08, 09:58
Hi Shelly, i have this also and it horrible, i know it is nothing medical and that does help a bit but when you have to keep clearing your throat (this has become a bad habit of mine and people are always commenting on it i do it even when my throat isn't blocked,) and it feels all tight and you are trying to swallow it is really frightening. I also get the fluttery feeling it is like there is a pulse in your throat. The things i use at the moment to help are an inhaler cup (2.99 from local bargain store) i just fill it with hot water and breathe through the mask, i find it helps to loosen the mucus that collects when i am very tense and i also suck potters cattarh pastilles (1.99 from morrisons chemists) these are very strong menthol and really clear you airways so you don't feel the need to keep swallowing and you feel like you are getting a refreshing breath, i keep a bottle of water near and have a couple of big gulps when i feel anxious, i find that the sensation of burping:blush: stops the fluttery feeling. I do agree with Donna half the anxiety is not knowing if it could be something more serious and once you realise that it is just from being too tense it does ease. I am constantly reminding myself to stop clenching my teeth together and relax my shoulders as they both make your throat tense, it really does help. Can't help with the youngsters as my 2 are 14 and 11, but i know how you feel when i am anxious i can't be around the kids, i think it is worry that they may realise i am panicking and end up the same way. Hope you feel some improvement soon.

Jacq x

dinkydoo
22-02-08, 10:16
Uncomfortable sensations in my throat are one of my most common symptoms so you're not alone. For me my throat can often feel, tight, tickly, dry, or as if there is a lump but it is nothing sinister. I think the sensations are caused by your throat muscles tensing in response to anxiety

Same as me. My most common symptom now. Try hunching and relaxing your shoulders and rolling your head gently too.... deepbreathing. I also have three little ones, relaxation is not an easy task,but anything, distractio, going for a walk with them, (that is my saviour) or putting some music on and getting them, all to dance with you, anything to stop you focusing on that complaint. I get it all the time too so dont worry. xx