PDA

View Full Version : need to try some anti-depressents

Richie
21-02-08, 11:59
Hi,
have taken anti-depressents in the past took seroxat for a long time, it worked like a miracle then just stopped.
haven't taken any now for some time but have really needed to. Have asked for help some saying yes i do others saying no i don't.
My Gp just doesn't prescibe anything he's not heard of like citalopram and other ones ive found out about on here.
I'm thinking of making an appointment tomorrow and trying to get my husband to go along to try and persuade him
Do you think this is a good idea, i'm really frightened at the thought of asking because they are always so negative.
Just trying to survive on vitamins or any natural remedys i have heard about.
I was wondering about kava kava? did try it once but didn't help much, but was wondering if it was something that needed time to work in the system or if it was supposed to work straight away??
Rhodiola for me unfortunately didn't help although i gave it a real good try
Richie xxx

chalky
21-02-08, 13:49
Hi Richie,

Sounds like a great idea.
What have you got to lose by trying this?
I hope it goes well.
best wishes,
Chalky

bet
21-02-08, 14:45
hi Richie,

good idea hun to bring hubby with you to the doctors.I had to bring my partner along to get my doctor to listen to me.

best of luck

bet :hugs: :hugs:

pete69
21-02-08, 15:33
richie,
i cant beleive your gp hasnt heard of these meds..is he 92 and blind???:shades:
get rid of him and get a new gp-you dont need ignorant fools like him.

saw my shrink other day and i took along a print out of some meds i wanted to try,i normally tell them what i want and see what they come back with.
im the one with sa and know whats right for me....anyways it was a a/d in the rima class..less side effects than maios;he didnt know about it and normally prescribes ssris,so he said he would have a word with the one higher and write to my gp in a week....so it pays to ask i may get em...
like you seroxat worked great for me a few years ago but now i just cant handle the side effects if i try to take em again.

but hey citalopram may be the drug most gps dish out but it may not be right for you,if you check that poll on meds that worked it comes out top but look at valium,,,a good 2nd place,have you tried benzos for your anxiety?my gp gives me them to..see you have to let these people know how bad you are and life is so damn hard without meds...they should soon be giving them to you if you put your case forward strong enough.
good luck!

pete

jo61
21-02-08, 15:41
Let us know how you get on won't you? Different ads suit different people and if your GP hasn't heard of some of the newer one, then it's time to move.:hugs:

joy
21-02-08, 17:46
Cant't believe your Gp hasnt heard of citalopram!!!!!!!!

Joy

doglover
21-02-08, 18:31
Hi Richie
i definately think you should try some meds. I agree you should perhaps change your GP. I cant believe he's never heard of citalopram. Thats just ridiculous.
You also need to really push the fact you need help. I had to tell my doctor i needed some medication, he didn't offer it and im so glad i did.
Good luck and stick to your guns.
Donna x

joy
21-02-08, 20:30
Richie

I notice in another post that your gp knows about seroxat so he/she should know about citalopram as they are the same family of anti depressants!!!

Love Joy

Richie
21-02-08, 23:47
Hi there xxxxxxxx
Thamks to all who have replied to my post xxxxxxxxxxxx
Well after taking Max my dog to the vets today, decided enough was enough !! and went into the walk in surgery late afternoon, i saw the nurse there Jane who i have a good relationship with, she can also prescribe meds too. Took some research along and also hope you don't mind but bits from forum on citalopram to sort of convince her it might be a good idea, and amazingly she gave me the ok on them. :) :) :)
so have just taken the first 1 x 20mg, she even said that they could up the dose to 40mg!!!!!
Of course now though i'm waiting for the first signs of all those frightening side effects aaaaaaaargh
Joy never realised citalopram same family as seroxat, oh dear praps this will mean they won't work :) :) :) but as they came top of the poll here i will just keep on hoping for a miracle lol lol
Thanks again for your replies, wish me luck x
Love Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

chalky
22-02-08, 00:30
Hi Richie,

Well done!!!!!
I am soooo proud of you.

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

Wishing you every success.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Richie
22-02-08, 00:34
Hiya
Thanks chalky:hugs:
Luv Rich xxxxxxxxxxxxx

pete69
22-02-08, 08:42
good luck richie,glad you have a understanding cpn-she sounds excellent.

dont worry to much if you can about side effects as that will make u more anxious and of course you will think its the actual meds doing that-in a way it is but may not be if u know what i mean.

u mention that this drug came top of the list for panic....remember gps are mostly gonna prescribe what is forced on them by the massive drug companys,your gp may have a choice but in the end it is mostly keeping with the norm of other practices and sticking to only 2 or 3 ssris.

good luck anyway!

joy
22-02-08, 11:04
Whos needs GPs anyway!!!!!!???????

Joy

Citalopram is an SSRI like Seroxat but chemically different

doglover
22-02-08, 22:08
Good luck Richie. I hope you do well on them. If you need any support just come on here. PM me anytime.
Donna x :)