PDA

View Full Version : Bad day & big changes

decca
22-02-08, 10:20
It's my last day of employment today and I feel really shaky,tense and wobbly.I'm not at work 'cos I've been off sick since October with work related stress and health anxiety and have decided to take early retirement rather than go back but now I have the anxiety of getting my incomes sorted out.
It seems really strange that everything sorta changes from today.
My Doc reckons that I'll feel better in a couple of weeks once everything settles down and didn't want me to start Citalopram at the moment, however I have started the Diaz. again at 1mg once or twice a day to see it it will just take the edge off my anxiety, I stopped taking them before at 2mg once or twice a day as I thought they were making me feel a bit weepy and the PA's more intense.
Has anyone else been through big life style changes that could pass on any advice please ?.
Decca.

Bill
23-02-08, 04:43
Hello Decca,

Yes, I've been through what you're going through.

In Oct 95 things became too much for me both at home and at work. I was over stressed, suffered panics and became suicidal so after a few months sick leave I had to resign from my job.

I decided to talk to the Citizens Advice Bureau who informed me of the benefits to apply for and how to go about claiming them.

One of the problems I found was I always had to "ask" because nothing was ever offered which was why I contacted CAB and also the DSS benefits helpline. I also spoke to MIND who also taught me the ropes.

Later though, this was a very bad period for me because I was put on different medications, even ECT once, took overdoses and started self harming.

However, giving up my job was probably the best thing I did because it eased my pressures and gave me space to sort my life out both with my anxieties and the pressures at home.

Eventually I was able to do voluntary work which re-built my confidence so later I found a part time job that I enjoyed.

These days all those bad things above are now in the past, I don't take any medications and I cope much better with my anxieties.

I know you wil have things to sort both in finances and in your anxieties but in the long run I feel sure you'll feel better as a result of taking this step.:winks:

decca
23-02-08, 09:47
Thanks Bill,
Gosh you really went thought, I'm so pleased your better now.
Yes you are right there is no mechanism in place to tell you what your rights are, I guess I'm lucky in that I'm actually retireing from a job in Benefits so I sorta know the ropes,but yea this was all part of the frustration of the job apart from the pressures of working for a Local Authority.
I just feel so tense,like every nerve is on edge - What sorta meds did you find helped you ?
I've had CBT which didn't really help,now I'm trying 1*2mg Diazepam a day and I don't think that's helping much either , I guess the next step is Citalopram which scares me a bit.
Decca.

Bill
23-02-08, 19:39
Hello decca,

I think we tend to forget that those dealing with our benefits are human too and can suffer just like us! I used to have some good friends in the DSS and I can remember the pressures they told me about so I can understand how stressful it must have been for you!

To be honest, although I was prescribed various different medications, I didn't find any of them gave me an lasting effect. Each time my mood improved but the meds were increased because the anxiety just came back.

The first one I was given was diazepam which the doctor left me on, gradually increasing the dose until I found myself hooked on it. I'm convinced I felt worse rather than better especially on the higher doses. It took me 6 months to come off them because if I tried to reduce too quickly I got bad withdrawal symptoms so just be careful about how much you take and how frequently because it's so easy to get addicted to them.

Citalopram works in a different way and as far as I know isn't addictive. There's no harm in trying it although you may find you get side-effects such as nausea for a short while until you get used to them but then again you may not!

Personally I feel meds can ease our symptoms but not cure our anxieties but I know some people on here say they feel much happier taking something and wouldn't do without them. I feel that we all just want to live a better life so as long as we find something that works for us then that's all that really matters. Different things work for different people.

I feel your nerves are just shattered and you need time to recover. Time can be a great healer. If you do feel you need something then of course try meds because you may well find they'll ease your symptoms for you but if things don't ease in the longer term, I would press your doctor for some kind of therapy such as a psychologist, CBT or counselling, whatever they think would help you most, as I feel that would be a better longer term treatment if you still feel you need help.

The best therapy I had was by talking to a psychologist but as I said, different things help different people.

I Do feel though that things Will improve for you once your stresses ease just as they did for me.:winks:

sheba2
23-02-08, 20:45
Hello decca.

In 1996 I took medical retirement from my job as a primary school teacher. I was not only stressed by the workload but also had a really horrible headteacher who made my life misery. Anyway I think it was the best thing I ever did. I was on medication at the time and had been on and off for about 20 years when things got tough. For the last two years I have been battling agoraphobia as well as severe panic and this time I have not taken any meds as although I have found them helpful in the past I hate the side effects and also the length of time it takes to come off them. I am having some excellent private counselling at present and looking particulary at how I have dealt with stress and why I behave the way I do. I feel more positive than I ever have that I will be able to get over my anxiety.

Any life change experience will have some stress. If I were you I would give yourself a good 6 weeks or so from when you retire to see how the anxiety settles. Be kind to yourself and do some things you enjoy doing but never found the time for. If you need some help with meds then talk it through with gp. I took citalopram and had a very scarey reaction but was fine on paroxetine which lots of others find problems with so it is very individual. I strongly feel that drugs are okish but I would rather do without them if I can. Hope this helps and that you enjoy the rest. Once you are feeling better you may try to work at something else since leaving teaching I have worked as a sales rep (hated that) and a driving instructor. (great job if you don't mind sitting down all day. Now I am at home and loving that.

decca
23-02-08, 21:01
Thanks Bill & Sheba for your kind and understanding replies,
I'm sure you are right that things will sort themselves out and I'll soon feel better , it's so reassuring to talk to others that have been through the same sorta thing.
I must admit to taking a 2mg Diaz this morning but it has calmed me down a lot, enough to do some shopping and to play Dad's taxi , lol.
Best wishes
Decca.