PDA

View Full Version : Last Counselling Session today.....

Lilith1980
23-02-08, 14:12
Hi all,

I wasn't sure if today was my last session or if it was next week. But I bought a "thank you" card for my counsellor anyway just in case.....and it was.

I left and I just wanted to burst into tears. There were a few occasions where I was walking around the shops where I nearly broke down. I feel like I have lost a friend in a way. I know it wasn't a friendship but I feel sad :weep:

Its kind of like, when you learn to ride a bike and the stabilisers are taken off when Mum and Dad think its time you tried it without any support. I feel like the stabilisers have been taken away and now its time for me to try it on my own.

I guess though, if we dont have the stabilisers taken away, we cannot grow and develop as people.

My counsellor said though, that if I feel like I need to come back then I can be put back on the waiting list, so at least the option is there.

I am going to go to group therapy within the next couple of weeks so I'm sure that will be a further progression for me too :blush:

I'm still teary though but I know it will pass :weep:

Jo xxxxx

chalky
23-02-08, 14:18
Hi Jo,

In NMP you will never be alone.
Well done on finishing your counselling and as you say the door has been left open for you.
Hope the Group Therapy goes well.
Keep on smiling,girl!!
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Best wishes,
chalky

Coni
23-02-08, 19:06
Hi Jo,

I was exactly like you when I finished counselling and I felt really scared to be going it alone without my safety net there. But its a huge step in the right direction and the doors arent firmly closed so if you need to you can go back to your GP.

I think its natural to feel sad as I think we have a really unique relationship with counsellors (if its working well) and when that ends there will be a sense of loss. After all we share some of our innermost thoughts and feelings with that person. I remember really beating myself up over how I felt as I wondered if I had become too attached to my counsellor...but now I think its just part of the natural process of moving on .

Well done on taking this step and just take each little bit at a time and you will be ok....and you have everyone on here to help you along.

Good luck

luv Coni XX

mirry
23-02-08, 19:56
oh Linda , Its normal to feel that way when you have shared so much personal info , they start to feel like a friend. I felt this way too but it does pass :hugs: .