PDA

View Full Version : Teasing, mockery, and assertiveness

Gryphoenix
24-02-08, 05:36
I fall apart if I ever get insulted. I mean, it's not even an insult but good natured teasing, and I fall apart at any kind of teasing. I've never been able to handle it like everyone else and just brush it off and laugh, even when I was little I would get upset. If I'm ever the center of a joke I try and laugh it off but I get really embarassed.

I wasn't really teased that much when I was little and I had a pretty happy childhood. I was teased a bit in middle school but I didn't even realize it was teasing until I figured something was up and why won't this kid quit bothering me and go and talk to someone else? :blush: Someone told me that this kid was teasing me so badly probably cause he liked me but whatever...>__>

I noticed a rather effective way to deal with such good-and bad- natured ribbing was to tease back or simply say "SHUT up," but I don't like saying things like that to people (unless I get mad). It just seems so mean and I don't want to be that kind of person. I remember getting a bit of a shock in middle school when everyone was so different from the year before in primary/elementary, and a lot of people had this kind of negative, insulting banter, and 'shut up' was often touted between people. I thought it was all really rude and why can't we all get along? I wondered why everyone was so defensive and mean all of a sudden.

So anyway I seem to always get in those situations where I try to assert myself "Stop, please," and it never, ever seems to work, and mostly brings on more jokes due to the fact that I AM getting sensitive and it's all the more reason to joke. The more serious I get the more silly they get. And I've seen this happen in different situations not just one.

Plus the fact that I can't stand confrontations. I've never fought with a friend before. I couldn't stand that kind of negativity.

Anyway this all makes me feel kinda helpless. And I feel like I'm making a big deal when I get all sensitive about it when other people can just laugh about it! It's not like I've been teased very much, either, it's just when it happens...yeesh. And yeah, I'm 22, you'd have think that I would have dealt with this when I was 12 or in high school, but like I said, I hate confrontations...

Bill
28-02-08, 01:09
I was out walking the dog this evening. He is the most friendly soppy dog you can imagine. He was off the lead in the dark running over a field when I heard another dog walker with their dogs on leads. My dog went up to theirs and I heard the dog walker say in a loud voice "some people just don't care!" I just smiled to myself because I don't think I could care More and thought what a silly reaction!

If a dog came up to mine, I'd just say "Well, hello there" because I'd see it was a friendly dog.

We're often so sensitive and serious that people love to torment us because they know they can get to us. Often if we smile and laugh their comments off, it riles them and in the end they give up.:winks: