PDA

View Full Version : I tried something new - and it worked :-)

angieb
14-03-05, 13:21
Hello lovely ladies and gents

Just thought I would share a new technique that I tried out with great success at the weekend.

I realised that I am getting Safe places and safe people and that being away from safe people and or safe places sees my panic and axiety gallop upon me.

So I tried something new at the weekend. I decided that I need to stop wanting to retreat to safety and that the only way to do that is to make ME the safe place (hope this makes sense!). So I tried it first shopping on Saturday at a massive superstore. As usual the closer to the doors and the futher from my car, my pulse quickened, my shoulders started to ache and chest feel tight. So I concentarted on making sure I kept my breating in to a count of four and out to a count of four. When I got into the shop I just told myself that here was now my safe place, here because that is where I am and I can slow this breathing down. Within five minutes of shaky shopping I felt as if someone just switched the panic button off - we shopped for about two hours...a record since this started for me a month ago:D Rob and the girls even went off to do there own thing whilst I checked out teh clothes etc and I was not constantly looking for them to return.

I tried this again on Sunday to see if it had been a fluke - we went to a giant indoor car boot and market....ARGHHHHH. We had to park miles away and by the time I got to teh entrance I was very shaky. Rob asked if I wanted to go back to teh car and I really thought about it but then said - OK give me ten mins, if I freak I freak but if not - let's see. So again, I started regulating my breathing (hard but was do-able) then the most amazing thing, ten mins later the same effect, the panic was switched off[:O]

I know everyoe is different but I wonder if anyone has tried this before too? I was thrilled with the result.

Hope that your weekends were good too.

Take care...Angie

lainey
14-03-05, 13:30
Hi Angie

That's great news, you faced your fear and it worked, you must be feeling so pleased with yourself.

Take care

Elaine x

tracyp584
14-03-05, 13:33
Well done Angie!

You've done so well. Don't know if i trust myself enough yet, but it is a good theory. It's all about trusting your own ability to cope, which is where i am lacking!!

Keep it up!

tracy x x

jo-jo
14-03-05, 13:52
Fanatastic news!

Keep up the good work and give yourself a really big pat on the back :D

Love Jo xxx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

Meg
14-03-05, 15:37
Angie

Wow that was such great progress.

This is another light bulb moment for you ..

You are totally right - your safe place is wherever you are .

You cause the panics by your thoughts so you can dissolve them too by remembering that you are actually fine and not allowing the pattern of scary spiralling thoughts to get a hold.

You are well on your way to recovery now Angie.

Really think this needs to be in sucesses

Many congrats

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Tracy68
14-03-05, 15:42
Well done Angie you must be feeling very proud of yourself. Keep it going.
Take care
Tracy
x

KW
14-03-05, 15:55
Well done Angie - that's great!!

KW

'Everyone believes very easily whatever they fear or desire'
- JEAN DE LA FONTAINE

sal
14-03-05, 16:26
Hi Angie

Well done you have done brilliantly, keep it up.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

vernon
14-03-05, 16:54
Well done Angie! and thanks for the info I am going to try that. take care. Vernon

seh1980
14-03-05, 17:12
Well done Angie!! :D

angieb
14-03-05, 17:17
Hi again[^]

I did not actually think to post this thread as a success because I saw it more as a survival technique.

I was really surprised that it worked because as you all know I have been having a truly hard time adjusting to this new found disability. To me it is a disabilty, I would not have believed the negative effect this has had on my life in just four weeks.

It did fill me with power, I am happy to report that it has continued today, I have dropped off and collected Millie from school alone. Been to the post office, local supermarket and visited my hubby at work to pick up some cheques. I know there is a long way to go, I am not fooling myself into a false security BUT...a positive can do it attitude really made the difference for me this weekend.

Someone once said to me (in business) that if you can live with the worst way scenario then do it. That is all that I did on Saturday and Sunday. The worst way scenario was that in the company of my family I had a PA in public - BIG DEAL, I am not so clever that I would find any shame in that (especially after speaking to all you people here:D), so when I accepted the worse the reality as it turned out was ten times better.

Give it a go Vernon and let me know how you get on.

Take care...Angie

Meg
14-03-05, 17:37
Vernon - this is chapter 3 !!

sal
14-03-05, 18:03
Hi Angie

Pleased you are sounding so positive.

You are doing really well.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

FAN
14-03-05, 18:39
great stuff........keep it up:D

fan x

nomorepanic
14-03-05, 18:42
Well done Angie on finding something that worked for you and you managed to face it head on and cope.

A big achievement and I hope it continues to get better for you.

Nicola

bubbles
14-03-05, 20:02
Well done, Angie, that's great news.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Karen
14-03-05, 20:10
Well done Angie.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

vernon
15-03-05, 10:30
thanks Meg I have listened twice already lol. Will have to listen to less at a time. But I suppose thats why its best listen over and over, us oldies cant take so much in lol. Take care and thanks meg. Vernon

zena
22-03-05, 15:29
Well done Angie for the great steps you have taken and to share them.

Just keep it up.

STAY POSITIVE.

with good wishes

Zena