PDA

View Full Version : Can't calm down...

PaulaRubyLove
24-02-08, 10:31
Ok, about 6 weeks ago I was told that I might have to have surgery (pretty much my worst fear!) for an ovarian cyst (gross I know, sorry) and a couple of other things. I had to wait 6 weeks to have more tests to see if it was necessary. Well, I had those tests, and I don't have to have any surgery, which is wonderful. But I feel like I can't calm down! After 6 weeks of worrying, at first I felt sooo relieved, but now it's like the whole thing has set off my health anxiety all over again! I've spent the last 3 days finding problems in about 5 different parts of my body, that are probably nothing to worry about, and I just can't stop poking and prodding and stressing and feeling like something is wrong somewhere in me!!!!!

Not only that, but I keep worrying about my pets now too! I recently lost a bunny to cancer, and I'm just terrified of losing another one. I just almost rushed my other rabbit to the emergency after hours vet because I thought she was dying- but then I realised she just had hiccups!

Any ideas on what on Earth I should do to calm my brain down?

helenclaire
24-02-08, 11:41
Hi.
I went through a similiar thing, i had i breast lump a couple of years ago, of course i was worried sick waiting for the appointment when i went i had a scan which showed it was a harmless cyst and i had it drained while i was there. But instead of feeling relief after i still felt really anxious i dont know why, i was still really panicky.
Then i started worrying about other things that could be wrong with me.
It is strange the way our minds work when suffering from anxiety.
I wish i had an answer to this but i think its just the way we are, i guess we will always find something to worry about.
Take care
Helen:hugs:

Tom_M
24-02-08, 11:58
The best way to calm down is learning how to control your breathing and by calming your mind. Find a comfortable chair where you can just let your body sink into it. Take a deep breath, hold it in for a few seconds, and then while exhaling, feel you body sink further into the chair as you relax. Do this a few times and gradually slow your breathing down each time. At the same time, try to focus on something to take your mind off the worry. Anything will do as long it's pleasing.

countrygirl
24-02-08, 12:30
I find that | spend every waking minute discussing with myself my symptoms - of course this makes me panic more and more. I was horrified to realise that most days I think of nothing else. If I can stop myself from talking to myself so to speak and make myself think about other things I calm down

Easier said than done ( see my new post!!)

PaulaRubyLove
26-02-08, 22:21
Thanks. I'm trying not to think about it. It is hard to focus on other things though when you don't feel able to relax. Oh well, I'll get there eventually. And I hope things get better for you guys soon, too.

chalky
26-02-08, 22:31
Hi Paula,

My wee daughter had this surgery whe she was 11.
She recovered really quickly from it.
i am sure you will be the same.
distraction-music,reading,exercise,ring someone you haven't heard from in a while,etc,etc
You CAN do this.
Believe in yourself.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Best wishes,
Chalky

aliciajane
26-02-08, 23:29
Like Chalky said, distraction is a good thing.
I take my mind off my health anxiety by reading, watching films and tv, listening to music, and talking to my sister/mothers/friends.
Try some of them maybe?
To relax myself I have long hot baths and listen to calming music, I drink herbal teas and read a good book. Again, maybe try some of them?
You'll be alright honey :)

xax

Franz
26-02-08, 23:57
The best way to calm down is learning how to control your breathing and by calming your mind. Find a comfortable chair where you can just let your body sink into it. Take a deep breath, hold it in for a few seconds, and then while exhaling, feel you body sink further into the chair as you relax. Do this a few times and gradually slow your breathing down each time. At the same time, try to focus on something to take your mind off the worry. Anything will do as long it's pleasing.

I agree with Tom. I don't just do it a few times though - I spend 20-30 minutes each evening doing it. I guess it's basically meditation. It's boring but it has a definite effect throughout the day - I suppose I'm reminding myself how to relax. Hasn't cured me by any means but it has made the daily windows of not being a nervous wreck longer :)