PDA

View Full Version : stomach /cystitus/gyni probs- so fed up-help

pinkdante
24-02-08, 14:43
Please can some one offer me some advice. I know I do have health anxiety but I am aware that alot of things then get put down to anxiety and not diagnosed....its a vicious circle - but I'm at the end of my tether and don't know what to do next.

For a year I seem to have been plagued by anxiety symptoms - some of which were put down to exhaustion but my stomach problems are ruining my life and because theres all different problems all my gp is offering is a laparoscopy which I don't feel is going to find out all the problems I have.

Will try to condense this but about a year ago I started getting period like pain on and off all month so went to my doc over and over and was offered a laparoscopy.

I haven't booked on for this as I don't want to go through an un necessary op to find possible endometriosis which they can't do anything about. 2nd to this I'm phobic of being put under a general and work myself up even thinking about it.

I had a abdo scan which was ok - then along with the lower abdo pain I also get a Cystitis and irrited bladder every morning and it can come and go during the day.

Sex is out as its fine during but after I feel like I've been punched and feel bit sick. my gyni did say if anything it would be endo .

ALso......lastly I have a feeling that starts low down that works its way up my stomach which I can only describe as a feeling of nails sticking in my stomach and when it is in my upper stomach it causes heart burn and indigestion....but so uncomfortable and tender especially when bending over as it feels like the nail feeling is worse.

I have been checked by my doc and she said to try some gaviscon.

I just don't know where to turn anymore....who I can talk to about this as I feel because there are all different things its hard to diagnose.

Every morning I wake up and there seems to be something.

I do sometimes think it is all in my head as I'm sure its
worse when I think about it and when I had a scan on my lower abdo (which was ok) the pain which had been there completely disappeared so I just don't know if there is a physical problem

I'm terrified I've got some horrible stomach prob and can't face going to my doctor anymore. I'm sure they've had enough of me and I'm so embarressed when I go now.

Can anyone offer any advice as I just seem to be getting through each day with some uncomfortable feeling thinking what can I do?

Sorry to ramble - any advice welcome - please don't scare me though!

chalky
24-02-08, 16:40
Hi Pinkdante,

You do have a lot on your mind at the moment.
You are not the first person here,nor will you be the last,to doubt the competence of your Doctors.
I see "posters" repeatedly wondering "what if they missed something?" or "what if something else is wrong?"
Your post indicates that you have been well checked out.
What would happen if you were to accept your Doctor's diagnosis at face value? i.e.-there is nothing major physically wrong with me so let's focus on my health anxiety.
Could you try this-being prepared to challenge negative thoughts as and when they arise?
One day at a time only.
See if this leads to any change in your physical symptoms.
What have you got to lose?
I am not asking you to ignore real health issues as I am not a health professional.I am just trying to offer an alternative perspective.
Best wishes,
Chalky

pinkdante
24-02-08, 19:51
Thank you so much - yes I will try that approach.
I think it is a problem with most people with Health Anxiety that thry worry that the doctor has missed something and latch onto any stories of misdiagnosis - or frankly latch onto any health story!

I have always been a worrier and a bit obsessive but really it only became a problem after having kids and not working full time.

Thanks again.