mirry
26-02-08, 07:27
anyone else see this ?

:shrug:

Pink Panic
26-02-08, 08:59
Here's the link to the BBC item

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6653013.stm

Interesting indeed and i'm sure this will raise a lot of discussion.

Love
Pink
xxx

Dying_Swan
26-02-08, 09:11
Yea Mirry I just saw it. Not too sure what to think really.

It says that the study samples are small, but then again, Glaxo and Eli Lilly will say anything to defend themselves.

Sadly it doesn't say anything really about the studies they've reviewed. I notice they haven't looked at Citalopram or Sertraline, which might be interesting.

I completely agree with Lolly - that more funding should be provided for therapy first and foremost.

I do think some GP's prescribe SSRI's too readily, but I also totally believe that if people find them helpful, they should continue with them regardless of findings like this.

xxx :flowers:

MessedUp
26-02-08, 10:05
My Sertraline SSRI is helping me, but as an anti-anx more than an anti-depressant. I'm feeling calmer, but not exactly happier about life in general - but then I can't imagine a pill dealing with the underlying stresses and strains of life that bring people down in the first place.
So long as it makes me feel less panicky, that's all I ask of it, and that's what I'm getting, thankfully.

weeble40
26-02-08, 11:18
Hi I just heard this on the radio, on my way home from the doctors where after suffering for over 20 years she has put me on anti- depressants, do I take them or not or am I been offered another placebo, its took me so long to pluck up the courage to go, and now am back to square one,

Emma xx

chalky
26-02-08, 11:40
Hi Guys,

There is clearly a lot of confusion surrounding this issue.
On an individual basis,the only way to clarify things is to make an appointment with your GP and discuss the matter with him.
No-one should stop taking these type of Meds without your GP's say-so.
I watched the news this morning and the newspaper headlines shown,were totally at odds with the actual facts of the study.
Best wishes,
Chalky

jo61
26-02-08, 12:04
Chalky is talking a lot of sense here. I think the main thrust of the results is that not all antidepressants suit every sufferer - if they did there would be only one make on the market! From my own personal experience, I've been on loads of differen antids over the years and it took quite some time to find the cocktail that works. Anyone who is concerned please go to the doctor rather than reading the papers. Anything can be proven by statistcs - call me cynical if you like.

Tom_M
26-02-08, 12:50
I wouldn't take much notice of these types of studies. If studies where anything to go by, we would be all dead from bird flu by now.

dawny
26-02-08, 14:40
lemonade lolly youve hit the nail on the head, they could use this money for much needed therapy.....

...i take anti depressants, i dont think i could have got through severe depression without them.....they worked for me 100%

dawny