PDA

View Full Version : Hi

celiakat
14-03-05, 22:53
Hi,

My name is Celia, I live in London and I am claustrophobic and tend to hyperventilate in situations I feel stressed in.

It feels good to know I am not alone with my panic attacks, and that there is hope to live a normal life again.

Celia:)

FAN
14-03-05, 22:55
hi welcome to the forum im sure you will find it helpful

fan x

sal
14-03-05, 23:18
Hi Celia

Pleased you have joined the site. There is hope hon and we will help you through it. You are not alone and we understand how you feel.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

bubbles
15-03-05, 02:23
Celia,

Welcome to the site. People here understand & will help & support you.

Have you suffered with the claustrophobia & panic for a long time; are you having any treatment or help at present? What sort of situations make it worse?

Keep posting & there'll be lots of advice & ideas to help.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

jill
15-03-05, 09:01
Hi Celia,

Welcome to the site,

There are lots of nice people here hho will help
and support you.

TAKE CARE LOVE JILLXXX

Believe it is possible to solve your problem.
Tremendous things happen to the believer.
So believe the answer will come. IT WILL.

tracyp584
15-03-05, 09:14
Hey Celia,

Welcome! You will find lots of support here!

Take care

tracy x x

delta
15-03-05, 09:29
Hi Celia
Welcome to the site
You will find everyone very supportive and friendly.
I am so glad I found this site it has helped me a lot to know I am not alone with my problems.
D

celiakat
15-03-05, 09:46
Thank you so much for your encouraging replies, it is so unbelievably good to understand there are other people out there like me!

My stressful situations are when I am on the tube, especially the ones that are deep down in the ground. I can do the other ones if I am not alone, but I will get very stressed, and will start getting hyperventilation symptoms if the tube stops in the tunnel.

Also, when out walking by myself, I feel unsafe, and can't think of anything else than my breathing, which certainly will make it worse....

I am unsure what to do with treatment. I have been to a hypnotherapist once last week who said he would have to do analytical sessions, between 8 - 12, to find the root cause of my problem. I really cannot afford to do this, so I will have to wait to get a referral from the NHS. Do you know how long approx the wait would be before I could get my first consultation?

Furthermore, he told me that hypnotherpay would only help me on a temporary basis, e.g help me doing the tubes, but the symptoms might surface in other situations. Have any of you experienced this?

Do you guys have any good advice for me what to do??? I am so confused....

Thank you soooo much for your support, I means so much.

Celia:)

lisarose
15-03-05, 11:01
Hi Celia, welcome to the site, you will find lots of help and support here and everyone is very friendly and will try and help as much as possible.

With regards to the hypnotherapy, I have never tried it as I can't afford it but I have considered it and if I had the money would do it straight away.

Have you tried any medication or natural remedies such as Bachs Rescue remedy(this helps me)?

Take care
Love Lisax

sal
15-03-05, 11:08
Hi Ceila

I am a lucky one and dont have to do tubes, but on the occasions i have i felt very inhibited and trapped.

As for walking i sometimes find i start to panic and worry that i am going to pass out and the feeling gets worse the further i have walked. I know in my mind i wont but i become overwhelmed by the urge to get back home.

Its only through the support of some great friends who pushed me to go out that i got there in the end.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Laurie28
15-03-05, 11:12
Hiya Ceila,

Have you read the website and first Steps pages?

I think the time taken for NHS help depends on the area you live

Have you been to your GP?

This forum is great for support and advice

Welcome

Lucky

nomorepanic
15-03-05, 19:13
Hi Celia

Welcome aboard.

I too suffer from claustrophobia and haven't ventured on a tube for many years now.

Hypnotherapy is lovely but I do agree that it will relieve the symptoms but then you need to tackle the issues to get you completely over it.

As an example, I had hypnotherapy to get me back on a plane and it did but I still haven't been on holiday abroad cos I still had the issues I had before.

I am not sure how long it takes on the NHS - could be a long waiting list I am afraid to say.

I hope we can be of some hep to you on here.

Nicola

Meg
15-03-05, 19:39
Celiacat,

The symptoms of hyperventilation are totally controlable once you know how and then you will be able to start tackling these issues bit by bit and daily . Check the symptoms page and maybe go to a few yoga sessions and get the teacher to go through it on a 1:1 with you.

I'm a touch sceptical about the amount of analytical sessions he wanted to do ...

I do agree that if there is still serious undealt with stuff it will reappear but you can get over the fears you speak of without it being related to deep seated age old issues at all....

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance