PDA

View Full Version : hangovers and panic....

victoriav
27-02-08, 11:49
Hi my name is victoria and i have suffered from panic attacks (or belief that i am going to have a panic attack!) for years.

i gave up the booze for 2 years - because i found my hangovers were giving me 'the fear'

i am a social weekend drinker,now

since then i drink every now and again - but recently even if i just have 2 pints - i feel rigid with stress the next day - it gets worse throughout the day and by the time i go to bed i am completley wired, my jaw hurts and sholders are up round my ears from the stress. -i then dont sleep and lie in bed suffering from panic - i then dont get enough sleep and this process coninues for three days - until i catch up with the sleep.

any advice on how to 'come down' (i know giving up the pints is the best but i enjoy it at the time)

i wen through a stage of taking zanex - which is a stronger version of valium but realise that this is stupid and just numbs my brain..

what tools or techniques does anyone else use???

cheers:hugs:

victoriav
27-02-08, 11:50
oh - i am 31 and live in london and have had panic for 10 years

its an old buddy of mine!!!

Pink Panic
27-02-08, 13:14
Hi Victoriav and welcome :hugs:

Can't give you advice re the booze as i gave it up totally but i'm sure someone will be along soon who can.

Love
Pink
xxx

chalky
27-02-08, 13:20
Hi Victoria,

Welcome to the Forum!!

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Have you tried changing to a different type of drink to see if this has any effect?
Alcohol and panic/anxiety issues are not good bedfellows.
Have you tried abstaining completely for a few weeks-carrying on with your usual routine-just to check if the booze is definitely to blame?
best wishe,
Chalky

Lilith1980
27-02-08, 16:59
Hi Victoria

Welcome to NMP hun :)

I find my anxiety is worse after a night out - this is cos alcohol is a depressant. I have cut down my drinking but havent totally abstained so if I feel bad in the morning I just put it down to the booze and try not to worry about it.

Jo xxxxx

Pink Princess
27-02-08, 17:13
http://www.graphicsarcade.com/glitter_text/hello/hello_graphics_c1.gif

welcome to the site xxxxxxxxxxxxx

victoriav
27-02-08, 17:21
wow - thanks for all your replies...

i hav tried other booze and i did stop for a few years...... maybe i just need to except that that happens after a night out..........

but that seems like accepting that will always have this problem ,which is a bit crap

victoriav
27-02-08, 17:33
yes - i do only get it when i booze.

its a shame really because i do enjoy it at the time..... its just th next few days after

bummer hey?

heidi
27-02-08, 17:43
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/heidi51/hello-2.gif
Welcome to NMP, happy to have you abroad, you will get loads of support and make tons of friends here.

nomorepanic
27-02-08, 22:10
Hi Victoria

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

manmoor
28-02-08, 09:43
Hi Victoria,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Lindalou64
28-02-08, 12:25
Hello Victoria And Welcome .....i Wish Ya Well.........linda

vernon
28-02-08, 12:37
Hi Victoria, I too gave up drinking fully for 2 and a half years after years of heavy daily drinking but this didnt realy make much difference, I still woke most days feeling realy rubbish and ill. I now drink again but not as often. I think a lot of it is in the mind as I have noticed sometimes I can feel worst on waking without drink, It seems to even out. What a lot seem to think when they have a realy bad day after drinking, Maybe it still would have been a bad doa without drinking? no way of knowing. Its the same when people get a panic attack in a certtain place, they think its something to do with that place and avoid going there, so in time with avoiding places they get panic end up agrophobic and go nowhere. Anyway thats what I think and have suffered many years, but have had good years too. A good tool I found is afermations, tell yourself every day on waking what a nice day it is and you ARE going to have a good day. Also write down on bits of paper that you are well and feel good etc. I found keeping at this and no matter what you feel like tell your brain you feel good. hope it helps you a bit. Take care, Vernon

Nibbles
28-02-08, 17:39
Hi Victoria and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

groovygranny
28-02-08, 20:01
Hello Victoria:welcome: to you!

Well, it's all true about the booze I'm afraid. I have always been a 'social' drinker (even with my social anx lol!) but I could hold quite a bit. Until I started to become ill with panic attacks and anxiety.

I have now cut down drastically, and consider myself fortunate to have found an acceptable level, as I do love my wine and would find it very difficult to cut it out altogether. But, if I had to I would in a second as I too hate that awful fearful state afterwards.

Anyway, glad you found us here - I'm sure you'll get plenty of help and support.

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

Loobs
29-02-08, 00:08
Hi Victoria, I'm quite new to this and haven't even introduced myself to anyone yet! I have also always thought that the booze made me panic more the next day and when I tried not to drink to see if it was that, I realized that it was all in my mind, I always expected to panic and blamed the booze if I did, I found I was waiting for the panic to hit me, and thats like allowing it to happen! A lot of the time I find that it's harder to sleep after a boozy night, so I think the lack of sleep makes you feel worse the next day, but don't be too hard on yourself, if you enjoy a drink, just don't set yourself too many tasks for the day after, try to relax, breathing excercises help and try to stay positive. Think good thoughts, good luck,

trac67
03-03-08, 18:20
Hiya Victoria,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx