PDA

View Full Version : I know I shouldn't, but I will!

Rennie1989
27-02-08, 16:28
Hiya all

For my course I have to do 300 hours of work experience in two years. It sounds a heck of alot but I think I have done just under 100 hours so far, since September. We have to work with 3 different people: children, elderly and learning disabilities. I have just finished my time at an elderly care home and now I have to go to a day care centre for those with learning disabilities.

I'm not looking forward to it, nor was I when I had to go to an old people's home, but I was able to go. This time, I feel panic everytime I think about going to this new placement. I've asked to move my placement to a care home at my fiancés village but it doesn't look promising.

At the college I go to we have people with quite bad learning disabilities. At first I found them quite intimidating yet I know they are harmless. There are two people who are over 6' tall and are quite big built, and one of them runs really clumsily. I am so scared to go near them, and same with the rest, my heart thumps when one of them comes to me!!

Anyway I am going bunk off this Friday because I really cannot go! I had 4 panic attacks this weekend (3 on Sunday, one after the other) and since Sunday night my body hasn't relaxed and anything challenging and new scares me.

I feel really naughty doing this but I am too petrified to go! If I was to go to my fiancés village then it wouldn't be too bad because if I had to run home it would be half a minutes sprint away, yet this place is so far away from home, then again I don't even though where it is!

The last thing I need is to develop agoraphobia but I could do with some positive feedback because I really feel bad and terrified. Any advice would be grand.

Thankies, Jade

PS, I don't want to go this Friday, not even to give it a go, I really can't!!!

yorkylover
27-02-08, 16:38
Hi Jadey I think you should tell the people who run the course how you are feeling.
My partner has a disabled sister,she has down syndrome.I was so scared when I first met her,but she is lovely and so loving and shows so much affection.She always wants hugs and kisses.

You need to get it sorted as it wont just go away.:hugs: :hugs:

Rennie1989
27-02-08, 16:41
I know I shouldn't run away from my problems. My attacks are at its worst at the moment and I put back getting help for them for about 4 months, it wasn't until last Monday that my personal tutor said "You should see the counsellor, do you want me to contact him for you?" I agreed and I saw him yesterday, how brilliant. If I was seeing him today or tomorrow I would explain my feelings to him, but I can't.

I should call them but I really feel so panicky! I know that afterwards I will better but I've got this guilt running around inside me ... it's like I have to go to please them but I'll end up having a panic attack and making a right fool of myself on my first day.

cardmaker
27-02-08, 20:35
My husband is a community nurse for people with Learning Disabilities and has been for many years.

I wouldn't worry about anyone attacking you. The people in charge have a duty of care to ensure you aren't put in any danger.
The staff will be well aware of who are easily upset when new people are around. They won't want any of them getting upset (which in turn will upset others), so you'll be either kept away from them or warned which ones not to approach or to be careful of. Besides the poor devils are kept so drugged up - the day care staff don't like dealing with any 'difficult situations'. They suggest that the centre isn't 'meeting the needs' of certain clients in order to stop them coming.

Ring the manager of the centre tomorrow and explain that you've had no contact with LD clients are concerned that your nervousness may upset some of the clients.

Good Luck. :hugs:

Rennie1989
28-02-08, 09:52
Hiya cardmaker

Yeah I will call them up this lunch time and let them know.

I can't believe carers would do such a thing!! At times I kind of saw that happening at the residential home I was at, I swear one of the ladies there was depressed, she just looked it.

I will be off to my fiancés soon so I might not get a chance to check my stuff while I am away so if you want to PM me then that's fine.