PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice today..

MikesP
28-02-08, 12:43
Hey all,

I'll try to keep this short.

Ive been getting out alot recently - feel good about it. The offer of CBT has finally turned up over a year and a half after visiting my GP. I didnt phone in, nor for the reminder that they sent and now I have missed the oppurtunity. Im sure its more because Im anxious about talking about my problems and going over them than being anxious about travelling there and meeting whoever it is that would give the treatment. I feel like Id rather just forget about the past than dig it all back up. Im lucky that Ive got a standard therapist at my doctors that I can ring to book an appointment whenever I like if I ever want to talk about things - so I do have something available.

Have I been completely stupid? I would have jumped at the chance for CBT when I first visited my GP, but Ive forced myself towards some real improvement over the past few months and now I feel like I just want to let the past (of my anxiety problems) be the past.

Thoughts on this really appreciated.

Thanks for reading

chalky
28-02-08, 12:50
Hi Mike

You will have the best sense of what is right for you.
therapy can be stressful but also therapeutic.
there were times when I really looked forward to it and other times when I dreaded the thought of it.
Was it worthwhile? Definitely.
My concern would be if there were underlying issues which could rear their ugly heads again if not dealt with.You are best placed to judge that.
If you are happy enough to let sleeping dogs lie,there should not be a problem,if you continue to work hard at your recovery.
The fact that you have a therapist available,should the need arise,should provide you with a good sense of support.
Best wishes,
Chalky

MikesP
28-02-08, 16:13
Thanks Chalky. As far as I can work out my anxiety started at a time when I was trying to figure out what I was going to do for a career, it troubled me bad for a few months and brought on a lot of stress. The panic started right around that time, I dont think there is an underlying issue beyond that. Ive managed to sort my career out now and everything in that area is good, its something that I want to stick to and make a real go of. I actually spoke to my mum and sister before making the post and all I got was abuse. Cant seem to talk to anyone at home, they act like there is no problem in general and the moment I try to talk about things they try to stress me out about the future, talking about how I'll cope when x or y happens. They really are the wrong people to turn to for support and they have such little faith in me helping myself.

I'll stick to my current plan I guess. Im trying to take on all of the things Ive been avoiding for the last x ammount of years. Im trying to do a couple of new things each week. If I feel that I hit a brick wall Im sure you'll all know about it and then I will consider the counselling. Im quite excited because Im seeing a friend I havent seen for 4 years tonight. I associated the poor guy with me having panic attacks and have only kept in touch over the phone for the last 4 years. I wouldnt have gone anywhere near him anytime but now lol.

Thanks again Chalky :)