PDA

View Full Version : Age of sufferers

Meewah
28-02-08, 22:45
Hello

My last poll was gender. Now for the age one.

Please.

Mee

nomorepanic
29-02-08, 00:05
Are you doing research on it or something?

The other question is how long have you suffered as this just shows our age now and not when we started with panic/anxiety

sheba2
29-02-08, 14:32
A more interesting question would be how long have you suffered. how old were you when it first happened. Having lived with this on and off for over 35 years I used to worry that it would never go but now I really believe it will.

Meewah
01-03-08, 12:19
Are you doing research on it or something?

The other question is how long have you suffered as this just shows our age now and not when we started with panic/anxiety

Hi

No, Fasinating to see its just us mid-lifers, you know the ones that are at the peak of stress, work , home life, kids, realising our mortality. I suspected that most people on hear would be between 30-40 yrs old.

Hope this gives others an insight in to life pressures.

Mee

AngelHeart
02-03-08, 20:48
I've been suufering from depression for years but health anxiety since my daughter was born when I was 26. Post natal depression and my Grandads terminal illness and later the passing of him and my mum brought on my health anxiety. So its been 6 years this years since I started with it. I went great for about 2 years and was only having the odd blip but its come back strong over Christmas and whilst I'm not back to square one where I was shaking and having panic attacks all the time, i'm still bad and suffering alot of anxiety symptoms!

Po xx

decca
02-03-08, 20:58
I've voted for 60+ 'cos that's what age I am now , but I was first diagnosed with gad when I was 21, had it for about 15 years then got completely better now I've had it back for about 6 months when it was brought on again by work related stress.
Interestingly all my three children also are sufferers.
Best wishes to all.
Decca

peach
03-03-08, 06:39
hi,

im in the 30-40 age bracket too....it came on when i was 31. im now 33.
i totally agree with this age group being the most prone. i was told this is the worst age period for women.

also, i beleive it is genetic, my mum suffered badly from it, much worse then me, and now my younger brother is showing signs...

i think i had moments of it/warnings when i was younger, but was not affected and full time till 31.

i do think it can be healed, my mum is now totally healed from it, athough sadly has other issues now because of age......so i have faith that i will be able to get my life back soon....

JennyW
03-03-08, 08:20
I'm 41 (just) :) but started suffering in my 30's, especially following the death of my father. My brother suffers too. He's 36 now but his started in his 20's.

groovygranny
04-03-08, 10:20
I'm 53 and was only diagnosed in November 2006.:huh:

I was told I'd probably been suffering from anxiety (with the ocassional pa thrown in) since as far back as I could remember!

Was pretty gob-smacked I can tell you!:ohmy:

On the mend now though:yesyes:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:flowers:

angiebaby
04-03-08, 21:26
Hi there, there are a lot of us in the same bracket aren't there, hum, lol.
Well, i started suffering three years ago, 34, following a traumatic operation. Still plodding now, lol.x

jadeybags
04-03-08, 23:47
i'm 37 but it started after my father in law was misdiagnosed when i was 21. Since then ive had bouts about once a year, sometimes ive gone a few years, but that was when the children were young and i didnt have time to worry i think!
Have been health anxiety free at the moment for about 2 months now.

vernon
06-03-08, 15:02
I am 59 and thought i was the oldest lol

kestral
20-03-08, 14:52
i am also 59. problems started when i was 34, caused by work pressures.

joy
20-03-08, 15:40
me too 59

Joy

Meewah
21-03-08, 17:34
Fasinating results..

It seems anx is most suseptible when in your 30's and decreases with age. The good news is it seems to decrease with age. That is assuming that as many over 40's use this website for self help or is it the younger generation that use this method of self help?

We will never know.

Mee

crazykate
25-03-08, 20:53
Im in the 30-40 bracket (37) but 1st started suffering when my mum died when i was 17:weep:
Had really bad time of it for the 1st 2-3 years after she died then seemed to get to coping level for quite a few years. Had another bad blip after having my 3rd child aged 31 then all good after the twins aged 34 now am having a big blip again Far to big for my likeing.

always anxious
26-03-08, 12:18
hi everone
im only 18 and have been suffering for a bout a year.....
cant let it ruin the best years of my life!!

any advice for general anxiety/hypochondria??

Richie
26-03-08, 12:49
Hi there have suffered twice with it initially when i was 20 just had a sudden panic attack out of blue and went from bad to worse, until i got over it with CBT, Second time started was about god 4 years ago after some major trauma's one after the other.
Offered no treatment this time so haven't got over it, although have tried so many things myself.
Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nicotine
27-03-08, 16:32
I am 21 now, and I have suffered since I can remember. But my first recognised panic attack was at 15.

misterbean
10-04-08, 20:28
Love the really neat curve. I do have one caveat which seems to have been suggested by others and that is that this gives an indication of the age of site users not an age of anxiety (oh, I think that's the name of a book I half read). Interesting all the same.
Martin

SueBee
10-04-08, 21:09
I started suffering anxiety/panic when I was 17 after a near-miss accident with my son. I was pretty clear til I reached 34 when I found out my ex husband was having an affair - we divorced and I got over that with medication and was panic free for 7 yrs. Now I'm back to square one with depression, anxiety and panic after strees at work - I'm facing dismissal! I'm 40 and I do think the 30/40 age bracket suffers most because we have the most commitments.

Sue :)

SueBee
10-04-08, 21:14
I started suffering when I was 17 after 2 near miss accidents with my son. I did cope pretty well til I was 34 and found out my ex husband was having an affair. We eventually divorced and I got over it with medication and was panic fee for 7 yrs. Now I find myself back to square one with depression, anxiety and panic because of stress at work - I'm facing dismissal!

I'm 40 and I do think the 30/40 age bracket suffers most because we have the most commitments

Sue :)

HappyHayley
10-04-08, 22:00
I am 36. Panic attacks if I am truthful started when I was 15 on and off for years until diagnosed when I was 23 and put on propranalol. Hayley

CONS
19-04-08, 13:35
Wow im in the 2nd highest bracket being 29 yrs old,

interesting.

Cons

Panic1971
24-04-08, 07:40
My panic attacks started when I was 29.......and I am 37 now:weep:

jill
25-04-08, 23:19
Hi all

I suffered pa's, high anxiety at the age of mmm, 39 I am now 44 and panic, free. My daugher suffered pa's, high anxiety many, many years before I did, she was only 3 years old when it all started, She is 14 now, she has not had a pa in a long time, but still has anxiety from time to time.

Wishing you all well

LOVE JILLXX

BKF1515
12-06-08, 11:26
Hello, I am 36 now and have been suffering for a little over a year, brought on by an extreme amount of stress heaped upon me all at once--moving house, too much freelance work and quick death to cancer of an aunt. Funnily enough, it started with my thinking I had lice all the time. After going to the dr. a few times, she told me she thought I had a larger problem. At first I didn't believe her and then the realisation sank in very slowly. I've gone from having pa and heart palpitations, tight chest and choking feelings almost constantly to feeling better, mainly changing diet and exercise, also drinking tons of water. :)

MissChampers
12-06-08, 15:31
I've been suffering with anxiety for 17 years but it's worse than ever now and i'm 36.

jo61
12-06-08, 15:46
I started to suffer at 39 after the death of my father - 47 now and finally getting there, I think :blush:

milly jones
16-06-08, 12:25
anxiety never really affected my life to such a nasty degree until 3 years ago, although i believe ive had it to a lesser degree all my life.

my dad was agora and i think growing up with this set seeds to germinate later in life

mill xx

colleen224
21-06-08, 07:28
Hi everyone. I am 36. I have dealt with anxiety (feeling overwhelmed and especially social anxiety disorder) since I was in my early 20s, but the anxiety has gotten 100 times worse since I was diagnosed with shingles almost two months ago. Since then I have had at least three full-blown panic attacks brought on by fear that I was dying. Then about a week ago, I started getting these intermittent sharp jolts of pain in my head that last for about one second and then go away (I call them lightning bolts). I got myself into such a state of panic about them, thinking that I had a brain tumor or an aneurysm, that I went to the emergency room and got a CAT scan which fortunately came back negative, but I still do not have peace of mind. Physically, I was lucky enough to be healthy for 35 years, but getting the shingles has done a number on me mentally too. Now I worry about every odd sensation, cramp, pain, twitch, etc, that I feel. I feel like I hit rock bottom in the last few days because I feel exhausted from all of the worrying and crying that I have been doing.

Wow, this post became a lot longer than I thought it would be. I should have written it in the introduce yourself section. Sorry about that!

Krakers
22-06-08, 04:35
As I've voted, I'd thought I'd better post. I'm 37 now, so seems I fall into the most common group. I've been diagnosed for 20 months, but know I've had anxiety for over 2 1/2 years now I look back. Pity I didn't pick up on the early warning signs.

I did suffer froms PA's about 12 years ago, but only for 1 month and they went away and I never thought anymore about it.

My current situation I believe was brought about by two sudden immediate family deaths in 7 months, relocating 200 miles and going self employed, then having to close my business due to anxiety / PA's, then having the financial worries that created.

One thing I'm looking forward to is updating this thread at 38 and being anxiety free. That gives me 8 months to accomplish my goal. We'll see how far I've gone next Feb :)

Krakers.

rascal
23-06-08, 18:46
I am 35 but started with anxiety aprox 10 years ago. had a good spell of being o.k then had to have ivf and major surgery etc then it came back with avengence, but i am recovering really well now.
I think ive had it longer than 10 years i just didnt know what it was.

Southern_Belle
29-06-08, 14:03
The big 50 here but I've had anxiety all my life even in childhood. This is really the best I've ever been :)

mcooper07@hotmail.co
29-06-08, 15:49
Hi there, there are a lot of us in the same bracket aren't there, hum, lol.
Well, i started suffering three years ago, 34, following a traumatic operation. Still plodding now, lol.x

Hi

I started suffering from anxiety when I was 19 after two car crashes. One in Sept and the other in Dec. I was not injured physically but mentally. It does seem to take a lifetime to get rid of but you do plod on. Doctors do not seem to have a miracle cure.

Michelle

kristay1988
29-06-08, 16:24
man mine started at 16 i wish it started later! lucky! it's so hard to be a teenager, in high school and going thru this, then still struggling going into college.

marie1974
29-06-08, 18:16
hi ive always been anxious but i first got dep at 22 after my first child and since developed anxiety more and alot of anger inside me, caused from my parents. im 34 now and im alot better now especially with the cbt as its a real big help

petmad
29-06-08, 21:36
I am 38 and have had anxiety issues for a few years but they are definately worse as I get older and symptoms change! Guess its hormones and old age for me...

spirit
29-06-08, 21:46
hi all, i voted 40/50 years old. I have never suffered from depression before until last year when my grandson lost his dad, 2 weeks after i lost my good friend, then not long after that my sisters fiance died of leaukemia a week before xmas, then my daughter miscarried at 4 months, then my husbands brother died just a few months ago. All this sadness and grief is around me and now i am terrified that i am next, it is all i think about and i just cant shake off this feeling that i am not going to be here much longer, i cant seem to enjoy life at the moment, :weep: Spirit

Deano_08
29-06-08, 22:59
Hiya, I'm 19 and I suffer badly from depression and anxiety. My Friends and family cant understand how at such a young age I can be affected by this this?
I went to my GP and he said the same. I lost my girlfriend over this now I feel I dont have anyone to turn to :-(
Can anyone help me?

Dean

candi
30-06-08, 08:46
hi mine panic attacks started a while after my mum died when i was about 7 but my health anxiety started after my dad died so 22 it come and goes im now 25 going on 26
lorri xxx

kristay1988
03-07-08, 03:59
I know sooo many young people with depression, anxiety, bipolar, panic, it doesn't matter what age you are. It just happens, maybe they don't want to admit it but it does. I would think your doc would know that? My therapist is a family one, and even deals with young children with these things. It's totally normal, i've had it since i was 16. No worries

helen_1
10-08-08, 11:19
i was around 21 when i had my first attack i was walking to meet my mum out of work when i had a really big ectopic beat which i never felt before in my life and really scared me it nealy made my legs collapse from under me then the awful fast heartrate came after which i had for months but in the end i thought well this has been going on for months now so it cant be anything serious i had tests but they came back normal but every now and then i get a twinge or even a headache i still get the attacks which can last for ages im 29 now and at the moment going through a bad time now so i have anxiety at the moment but fingers crossed i will get better soon

nursey4
10-08-08, 20:06
I'm 30 so put myself in the 20-30 section rather than the 30-40 :)
I started with the panic and anxiety when I was 24 though I had severe OCD in my teens.

The Fool
10-08-08, 20:21
well i used to have this im not so bad now but im 14 i sufferd from this when i was 12 i think

gel
10-08-08, 20:31
44 years old here. Well will be this month.

tracy1972
20-08-08, 09:53
i am 36 now but have been a sufferer for 10yrs and i am appaled how little help is out there for preople like us that suffer and how easy it is to get meds chucked at us with no real advice

purplehaze
26-08-08, 12:24
well am 102 and sh*t I forgot what this poll is all about

crimson
27-08-08, 19:35
although i'm 47 now i have suffered from age 14. They gave me a social worker and some pills. Didn't even understand anything of what docs were doing. Happy to see things are so different these days. Been on and off meds all my life with bouts of drug and alcohol abuse in between. Now i feel i'm getting real help and understanding.

crimson
27-08-08, 19:39
Hi Tracy 1972, have docs offered more for you? i started by talking with a mental health nurse. Just thought it would be the same as all the councillers. She is great tho. My meds had to be upped which was good as i'd overdosed. Lucky i was ok. She has booked me to see a phsciatrist with her to hold my hand. Her name is Olive and she is my lifeline. Moved to Wales a year age and this is where i got her help.

xxlisaxx08
28-08-08, 01:06
I'm just in the 20-30 bracket being 20 but this all started when i was 14

Myfanwy
31-08-08, 21:04
I am 36 but have had anxiety and depression since my teenage sister died when I was 20. So 16 years of misery. At least I am no longer agoraphobic (touch wood).

charlotte-louise
10-10-08, 13:39
I have been suffering on and off for years

im 23 now

pinkpiglet
12-10-08, 10:56
I'm 33 but started showing signs of anxiety way back when i was in my late teens (only slightly) after glandular fever. Then it got worse in my mid-twenties around the time i was diagnosed with under active thyroid. Then it settled down for years and returned this year (with a vengeance) my son turned 1 and my nan died. My grandad had it and my mum started 33 yrs ago after i was born and as never been the same since. I think in my case it is a mixture of genetics and circumstances. I consider myself as a loaded gun (the anxiety within) and the trigger is pulled to release the bullets (events that make the anxiety worse).

Oceanblue
12-10-08, 11:08
Hi,

Well I'm 32 now. But I have been suffering with Anxiety/Panic for as long as I can remember, on and off, going back to when I was 3yrs old.

I feel it overtook when many stresses in my life was happening and yep this was as early as 3yrs. Not a happy childhood/home life, life traumas, bereavement etc as time went by.

Would rather not go into detail, but although I am still a sufferer, life has become much better, living with a caring, loving partner and having two great kids around.

I feel it's difficult to pin point an age of Anxiety sufferers, but I can understand what you mean by having more responsibility, mortgage, family to look after/kids etc, at this age.

I haven't put anything down, as I wouldn't know which section I would go into ? :shrug:

expendable
28-10-08, 00:46
i'm 21 and i had my first panic attack when i was 18. i was diagnosed and hospitalized with depression when i was 16, however, i really never had an actual panic attack until i came to college. i have been having them more frequently lately after a down period. i think it's because i've been having a lot of health related problems--stomach issues, allergies, etc.

richieshealth
28-10-08, 00:49
I suppose when you approach 30yrs there is a pressure that your suppose to have everything in order by then. Peak of career, perfect wife, home, kids anything less appears as an inadiquate person to some. I think you are who you are, and where your at is where your at and where you want to get 2 is when you decide to get there no matter age or what others believe.

kendo59
28-10-08, 07:16
Seems to be 2 distinct camps.

Those who have had anxiety/depression since they were young, and lived with it all their grown lives....

And those who suddenly developed anxiety/depression later in life following some sort of traumatic experience.

leeann
07-11-08, 11:54
Im 23 and been suffering for nearly 3 years

Karita
07-11-08, 14:10
I'm 26 and I've suffered from anxiety all my life, and depression on and off since my teens.

Twin Galaxies
10-11-08, 01:27
Hi this is my first post, and im shocked to see that so many people in my age range suffer from anxiety i thought i was the only 22 yr old that did lol:blush:

Karen
10-11-08, 03:31
Well I voted in the 30-40 age band but I have had anxiety and panic since childhood.

Karen

Diane O'Brien
24-11-08, 07:33
The results does not surprise me at all. I am in the 30-40 age bracket. In my twenties I was so laid back, in reading throughout the site I quickly came to realise thats not the case for some, and people have been suffering for years. On a more interesting note though there must be hunderds of people out there who are much older who have been suffering for a while who cant get internet access.

Shaky
24-11-08, 12:57
I'm 23 and my anxiety started this year after a health scare. I was hoping after the all clear it would disappear but 3 months on its no different

EmmaJane
24-11-08, 14:40
Difficult question to answer really, as mine has been on and off for years

amu
04-12-08, 14:59
I am 27 and I've had HA since my father died when I was 23 and pregnant. :weep: I had six months "off" when my life was going well two years ago, but it came back even worse when I started working and supporting my family alone.
I also had OCD when I was just 11, but I got better after about a year.

tigger1964
03-01-09, 11:54
hi, im 44 and had my first pa at 18, it got better and worse throughout the years until i was agoraphobic, i was free from it from the age of 33 -43 (10 yrs) then it came back last year.

june
03-01-09, 12:02
I had my first major panic attack at 14 yrs i am now over 60yrs:weep:
I have wonderful hubby and kids - but for years they were so wrapped up in their own lives (and i was good at hiding the symptoms) they only realised about 5 years ago.
In April 2008 I wrote in my diary:- Giddiness returns in waves
Walk into kitchen VERY carefully put the dishes down - turn to come back and the room spins and my stomach squishes
- (like a balloon full of water ugh!!!!!)
Now I feel very sick and giddy – is it normal giddiness?
Or the vertigo? or a digestion problem??
On 1 January 2009
I wrote the same thing (almost word for word)
AND I AM STILL NON THE WISER:mad:
jUNE

rainstorm
03-01-09, 20:56
I'm only 19. I either have CFS, MS, cancer, or maybe its still just the throes of depression. I've been suffering greatly the past three months. Sometimes it feels like I have such little energy that I wonder if my heart and lungs are going to continue working... :(

I've had diagnosed depression since I was about 16, and it had gotten better until I reached the age of 19 and got some bad health problems. Anxiety soon followed. Now panic attacks are one of my greatest fears. I get them randomly, periodically....at the time there's really nothing for me to be scared of, though I get terrified. It really sucks. Half the time my panic attacks result in me visiting the toilet to hurl, because I am so panicked. :*(

And then of course there's all my health problems that I've had lately, that don't help the situation.

I really hope I can get better.

EmmaJane
04-01-09, 18:41
I just reailised today, that mine started when I was pregnant with my for chikd 18 years ago

playman44
05-01-09, 17:46
i am 44 now and suffered with this for a 2-3 years but i can remember certain episodes of anxiety from when i was about 16

Sarah Jane
10-01-09, 01:02
I'm 19, and I've been suffering with anxiety since 2005, and depression since 2002 or 2003.

Alexy
16-01-09, 17:15
Im 17 and health anxiety is taking over my life:( xxxx

Trish
16-01-09, 22:06
I've been suffer with it for so long now i'm beginning to think i was born with it.......53 years ago!!

Meewah
26-01-09, 00:09
Does this mean that our anxiety may reduce over the age of 40?

I am not sure but 510 votes show a peak at 20 - 40.

Any comments...

Mee

Deepest Blue
26-01-09, 00:26
I'm in the 30's bracket too, I started suffeing full blown Anxiety around 5 or so years ago where it started to affect my quality of life, however, I suspect I've always had it dormant since I was a teenager but I didn't really understand what was happening to me and thought it was a normal thing. I was bullied by my dad and then at school as well so I felt so frightened for so many years.

sarah peacock
29-01-09, 22:27
Im 25 now, well i will be 26 in march. i have been suffering since i was 19 now. im not sure what caused it really, all i know is that one day i was alright and the nxt i was a nervous wreck! xxx

claire.xx
02-02-09, 14:35
im 22 and was diagnosed with anxiety 2yr ago after the sudden death of my mum, and i just seem to get worse x

Sillyblondegirl
03-02-09, 00:33
Mine seemed to start 3 months after I had my second daughter (which was 15 years after my first child.) I was clearing out my closets and throwing things out when I was seized with chest pain and couldnt breathe. I started shaking and I thought I was having a heart attack. After a 3 day hospital stay I was diagnosed with heart palpitations and GAD. I was 33 then and I am 37 now. I wonder if the stress of starting life all over again did it? I have an 18 year old, 3 year old and an almost 2 year old, all girls. I used to drink a lot so I dont think I really noticed my GAD as much because I used to drink to rid myself of it. When I was pregnant and I wasnt drinking it must have come to a head. Funny how things work out that way.

Nutmeg
12-02-09, 22:56
I am 20 now and have had anxiety problems since I was 12 - I started with OCD and GAD and gone from there! I blame puberty!

Cat80
17-02-09, 12:37
I'm 28 and was diagnosed with GAD at the age of 26 even though it had been going on longer but I didn't want to admit to it

Lilcharlie
17-02-09, 14:11
Iam 24 and i have been suffering for 5 years :bighug1: xx

justbananas
26-03-09, 03:40
27 and i feel like it really hit me when i graduated college, at 21/22 .. no actually i became anxious when i moved to new york.. new york sucks like that .. it can really make u crazy

reddevil
26-03-09, 20:04
I'm 35 and started suffering health anxiety the year 2000 and it's not realy been a good life since, suffering with this health anxiety.

Vonny86
27-03-09, 18:14
I'm 22 and i've been having problems for a 5 months. I think the problems started when I moved in with my fiance (who i'm really happy with, he's a big support) but i had to study at uni and work fulltime to support myself. I live in London and I agree with the point about city lifestyles. The speed and the people are truely unnerving at times - so i feel the pressures of money and life got to me, and maybe the anxiety is a way of my body saying things have to be changed to be happy again.

I just really want to feel my normal vibrant self again, but I also hit knock backs, and then i feel like i'm back in square one and my confidence is destroyed. Any advice on how to beat this?

sahara
04-04-09, 12:57
I voted 30 -40 yrs, but it started when I was about 11/12 when my Mum and Dads friend got skin cancer.

She is fine now :)

luchipoo
14-04-09, 23:29
I'm 23 and I've been suffering with health anxiety for about a month and a half although it feels like it's been a lifetime. I'm starting CBT this week though so hopefully that will begin to knock it on the head....!

Sambapati85
15-04-09, 01:23
Yippie for Health anxiety at a young age .. what a better way to spoil all form of enjoyment and relaxation.. hip hip hooray hi hip hooray .. hip hp hooray.....

Charlotte84
15-04-09, 17:26
I am 24 and had my first anxiety attack about 6months ago. I have had 2 since. My mum suffered from that at my age and then hasnt had one since, shes now 50. She still gets worried about things but never as bad as she did. I feel like i cant leave the house and being in my bed is the only thing that makes me chill out and everything goes away! x

Peggysl
16-04-09, 13:31
Hey, the positive thing is it fizzles out as we get older! Phew!

Pegs X

blondie47
06-06-09, 03:53
I'm so sad the majorty of the people here are so young. Its a horrible thing to be crippled with at a young age -- I'm lucky, I didn't get HA until mid/late 30s. I'm going to say a prayer for all of us tonight, but especially those who are young. As someone who is closing in on 50, I can tell you that your youth is so fleeting - I hope you all get well and enjoy your youth - the chances of your health being in real jeopardy are so slim. And now is the time you won't ever get back again, trust me!

Anyway, to answer the question, I'll be 48 in July. I've had HA since about 36. My father died when I was 30 after a long hard fight with lung cancer and I think I was numb for 6 years and then all hell broke loose. I don't think I'll ever be the same, although I do have good days and bad days...way more good days than bad. But when they are bad they are bad. Each time I go through it though, it is easier to recognize what is panic and what is real. My main problem is getting up the nerve to see doctors -- I get panicky thinking what they might tell me and its easier for me to just not go. But once I do go and get my check ups I feel like a million bucks (until the next crisis when I have to go again).

Thumbelina
06-06-09, 11:26
I also expected the biggest percentage to be on 30-40!!! that was kind of surprise.

Though I think now "analysing" it more that probably people from 20-30 are more familiar woth the internet and therefore they are simply technically make the audience. In reality it is hard to say which age is the dominanant for our conditions, I would think its the same number groups for age groups.

kathy.x
07-06-09, 14:05
i'm 17 and had my first panic attack just over 2 months ago - this poll has atleast let me know it's not unusual to be a teen sufferer - i too expected the peak to be in the 30s-40s, due to the whole "mid-life" crisis idea and the stresses of work and kids being at their height!

floridamad
08-06-09, 10:44
hi I have just joined the forum this am but cant seem to see how to send a message as I would like info and people experience on the drug propranalol? can you help me please? thankyou

football12345
10-06-09, 13:23
My first 'full blown anxiety' stage was when I was about 14-15 and it pretty much lasted up until now. (I'm 18) Although my anxiety has settled down a lot, it's still somewhat there.

GAD
11-06-09, 20:18
im 32 but i think i have suffered since childhood. I had my first child at 19 and i think that made my anxiety show itself alot lot more as before that i was not completely aware that it was not the "norm".
gad.xx

nataliean1982
11-06-09, 23:39
i am 27 and have had health anxiety since i was a kid, i used to find little lumps or bumps and fear the worst, all the time. i would panic and go home from school. i actually thought i was over it a for the past few years, but the past few months it came back worse than ever. i want my life back...or anything close to it.

pknorth
12-06-09, 09:12
Mine started when I was 19 and I'm 21 in 4 weeks, I picked the 15 to 20 group but if they carry on I might need to change it :roflmao:

ForOurFuture
12-06-09, 13:21
I am 40 and proud!!

Have had GAD for 10 years the last 5 being specifically HA. Although as a teenager I had some weird thoughts.

Course the age thing with this poll is that the 20s - 40s may be more used to using the pc - just a thought - so might not be reflective of the whole of society.

Anyway it interesting to know.

MandySlade
12-06-09, 18:01
I just turned 30. I didn't know if I should pick the 20-30 one or the 30-40 one, but since I'm still "accepting" the big 3 0 I decided to pick 20-30 :P

I've had health anxiety since my preteen years. It has, however, gotten much worse over the last 4 years.. with the worst year so far being this one. This is of course, why I found this forum.

Twotone
25-06-09, 14:20
In 44 now and was diagnosed 2 years ago, but if I'm thruthful I think I can recognise things from as long as 10 years ago that I can now relate to GAD and HA. Mine was caused by a traumatic violent relationship, however my 2 daughters 19 and 21 have both gone through patches of depression and anxiety.

magpie girl
26-06-09, 22:07
im 38 and started having panic attacks, gad and ha in 2006.
I went to a&e not feeling good told had virus sent home!!!!! within 10 hrs on operating table. PANIC started 2 weeks later,and life as i knew it has never been the same

Worry-wart
27-06-09, 01:47
42 male. I don't usually have anxiety and panic attacks. There have been a few isolated incidences in my life where health was a concern but have been mentally healthy for most of my life I guess. Just recently it seems that I have entered a longer term battle with multiple triggers :scared15: But I'm ready to fight this so that it can be just another isolated moment.

I'm currently on Lorazepam for Anxieties brought on by Unemployment, Recent condo purchase and a long term levothyroxine overdose. I can take it :shades:

daisycake
30-06-09, 20:16
I'm nearing 18 but had anxiety issues since I was born I would say; it's been on and off for most of my life but has gotten more severe since I hit sixteen.

Pinkuiro
16-07-09, 21:17
Im 26 and was diagnosed with severe depression last september. Mainly brought on by work, the team i worked in was severly disfunctional. Lots of back stabbing and you coundn't trust anyone, so my doc made my senior manager relocate me to another position. Have been doing my new job for 6 months now and am really enjoying it. I have panic attacks in certain situations. Mainly when im in a large crowd or if the bus gets full. Luckily when i do have an attack i have my husband with me for support, we tend to do what we can to keep me out of situations that we know sets me off :)

justbananas
16-07-09, 21:47
27 - i think being in my 20s is definitely part of the panic. it all hit me during this time period. ugh!

PanicOver!!
20-09-09, 17:45
What about male or female x

Cell block H fan
20-09-09, 19:52
Started early 20's, am now 38

Debdaw
20-09-09, 21:51
I'm 53 and have had HA almost consistently since age 13. I know exactly when it first started - I remember reading something in a magazine that made me think that white dots in a bruise (which I had) meant you had leukaemia. I spent the next three months convinced that I had it.

Cell block H fan
21-09-09, 14:48
I'm 53 and have had HA almost consistently since age 13. I know exactly when it first started - I remember reading something in a magazine that made me think that white dots in a bruise (which I had) meant you had leukaemia. I spent the next three months convinced that I had it.

Eeeek I didn't know that! :ohmy:

PanicOver!!
21-09-09, 16:26
Hi Im 46 and i had panic attacks for around 10 years (finally getting better now)

Debdaw
21-09-09, 22:14
Eeeek I didn't know that! :ohmy:

Hope I haven't 'set anyone off' by saying that! It was probably just my (wrong) interpretation of whatever I read. Anyway, I'm still here 40 years later - notwithstanding all the more recent and current health bees in my bonnet.:wacko: