PDA

View Full Version : Possibly developing agoraphobia

Rennie1989
29-02-08, 14:29
Hiya all

When my panic attacks come back or I generally feel very uneasy and anxious when I go outside I start developing the symptoms of a panic attack and they don't go until I go back inside, like home.

Anyway I was really bad yesterday. I left my home and as I was walking to the bus stop my heart was thumping and didn't stop until I had got to my fiancés. I was shopping for rescue remedies and a present for my fiancé and every time I went into a shop my paranoia was really bad, I kept looking around thinking that others thought I was mad!

It happened again when my fiancés Dad took us to a pub for a darts match. Got inside and I felt fine.

Now I'm not sure if this is just a blip or whether I'm developing agoraphobia. My life is too busy to develop it and I need to go to college and work to live. If these are signs then can people tell me so I can tell my counsellor ASAP so I can stop it at its tracks.

Thankies, Jade

bet
29-02-08, 14:53
Hi jade,

does sound like the symptoms of agora.possibly best to look after it now.

bet x

neptuno
03-03-08, 12:05
Jadey !
What you describe is your already hyped up anxiety going into overdrive. Thisn happens very often - even when you're looking forward to something pleasurable - the adrenaline kicks in and your body mis-interprets the excitement as panic. There's lots of info on this site about it. Don't let your body be fooled by your fear of panic - the symptoms can't harm you - but the fear may stop you doing stuff you really want to do. So, say to yourself "can't fool me !" and go girl !

Be kind to yourself

willitstop
03-03-08, 12:50
Hi
i just wanted to add that if you stay in you will regret it please fight this feeling and continue to go out these symptoms will ease the more you go out and face it i made the mistake of being frightened and ive now been housebound for 12 months and cant even go anywhere.
good luck and keep fighting

chalky
03-03-08, 12:52
Hi Jadey,

As anxious people we tend to develop safe-zones,almost like a child's comfort blanket.Being away from these,feeds on our anxiety.
Keep emphasizing to yourself that though you were out,you coped and nothing actually happened.
At times when we have lots going on in our lives,anxiety rises.We cope by being aware of this this and being particularly careful in managing ourselves.
We don't put unreasonable demands on ourselved-physically or mentally.
We pace ourselves-eat properly,good fluids and proper rest.Everything else will flow from that.
Keep living your life.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Rennie1989
03-03-08, 14:50
Bet - I will inform my counsellor

Neptuno - It sounds flawless, I can how excitement can turn into panic, either that or I was still worried about him being ill (and he told me that his manager was being mean to him that day). Thanks for that.

Willitstop - I am trying to fight it and not let it make me stay at home. At times I will only go out if I really have to, like at the moment I am at college but later I am going to see my fiancé, if it was my friend I would say no!

Chalky - I still have those childish things in my mind, I find mt fiancés home as a place of tranquility because I never feel stressed or scared though when I leave his home they come back again, it's like I leave everything at his front door. Thanks for the advice and support.