PDA

View Full Version : Constant Fear

hairstylistnma
29-02-08, 15:41
Good Day all.

I need some help from anyone or maybe just a ear for someone to listen. I have a constant fear or that im going to have a heart attack and die. Ive been to my dr and the er a million times. Ekg after Ekg all coming back normal I still cant get the thoughts out of my head. The slightest pain or anything my mind goes into a tail spin that it is a heart attack. I am currently on prozax for anxiety / panic and have ativan to take when I have in a bad attack. I however dont want to me on medication the rest of my life. Can anyone help me? Any ideas or advice?

Thanks for listening.
Renee:shrug:

sheba2
29-02-08, 16:57
hi renee.

It is so hard once you have experienced these thoughts to get them out of your mind. I have lived with a constant fear of dying since I was quite a young child and I'm now 52. Looking back it was such a waste but that never helped with the attacks. Are you afraid of the actual dying process or the fact that you will have missed out on things. This was quite an important issue for me. My fear was the latter although I had a natural amount of anxiety for the first. I think it would help to have some counselling it has really helped me get things in perspective and also to see why I am so fearful. A good read of this site has really helped too.

Liverbird67
29-02-08, 18:56
renee

Try not to worry hun, I worked myself into a right state yesterday I had tried to exercise and developed a headache, I've still got it now! I spent whole of yesterday afternoon convinced I was dying I fear strokes more than anything else went to DRs this am cadged a lift with my son as he has severe tonsilliitis I had worked myself up to a right state in the surgery Dr has put me on SEROXAT and referred me for CBT. gave me a note for work etc the chemist is in the surgery and I had to wait 30 mins for the meds felt like everyone in the chemist knew what I was therefore, I have spent all afternoon watching TV and reading trying to distract myself despite the constant headache and dizziness. I have also phoned work and told them the nature of my problem.
basically wot I am saying hun is try to stay positive you are not the only one going through this and this site is really useful and does help you in your darkest hours.
best wishes

curly P
04-03-08, 21:38
Hiya
I have suffered anxiety for a long time. It all goes back to a time when I was a kid and saw someone collapse from a heart attack - since then I have been convinced its going to happen to me.
I have been to my doc sooooo many times with irregualr heatbeats and palps - I have had 2 echograms, countless ecgs, a 24 hour holter monitor, a exercise test... all normal. Then i went to the doc one day about something totally different and was told 'did you know you have a heart murmur?!!!! I was absolutley distraught and was convinced I was going to die that day.
I was sent for more tests (they said they could wait but I even paid to see a consultant the following week!) who was not concerned in the slightest - said it was probably one of those things. I have had more tests which all appear fine and have to go back in April to see consultant. But still I worry that my heart is about to stop - I complain all the time that my 'heart feels funny' or 'is jumpin' when many times it is totally normal - i am just afraid something is wrong.
I don't know if i will ever stop worrying - it all comes down to that old 'what if' - there is always a risk of being really ill and i suppose we just have to say - it's out of our hands - and while we are healthy we should enjoy life.
Easier said than done I know - some days I can do it, some I can't. But you are most certainly not alone. One thing I do find useful is to write symptoms down - then you can look back and say 'i felt that way before and i was ok'.
Dunno if this is any help but hope you feel less alone.
Lotsa love and good wishes:winks: