PDA

View Full Version : Aching Left Arm

Mumto2
29-02-08, 19:27
Hi,

I am new here (I have posted on the introduction board) I suffer with health anxiety, and I keep getting a really bad ache right down my left arm, sometimes it lasts for minutes other times it lasts for days.

I can accept all my other aches and pains from my anxiety but I this achy arm is driving me mad, my GP has said it is anxiety so I guess I have to believe that but I think I would feel better if someone else said they had the same thing.

Many Thanks
Carrie

jodie
29-02-08, 19:34
hiya carrie

i have had this befor hun i used to think omg is it my heart ect but as time went on it got better,it could be the way you sleep mabe your sleeping on your arm ect .i am sure you doc is right and it is just your anx (hard to belive at times i know ) go back and see him if it gets no better i think i had mine for months on and off .

jodie xxxx

Mumto2
29-02-08, 19:52
Thanks Jodie, that makes me feel better already knowing i'm not the only one that has this. I have seen 2 different Dr's about it and they both say its anxiety, I just worry that they are missing something because I have been labelled with anxiety will they ever test if something is wrong?

Jjeni
01-03-08, 10:18
Hi mum - if you look on the symptoms board i posted about the exact same thing yesturday !!! i did really freak out and the guys here helped put my mind at rest !! so i jsut told myself its only anxiety and it cant hurt me - then distracted myself - it took some doing i tell you cause i normally work myself into a right state and was absolutely convinced i was having a heart attack !! But it wore off last night when i was talking to my friend ont he phone - funny that lol oh what the mind does !!! xxx

northern_sky
01-03-08, 16:40
Welcome to the forum Mumto2. :)

I've had my arm pain back for three weeks, ever since I heard of a neighbour having a heart attack (his Wife described his arm pain to me). Today it is bad as I carried a lot of shopping in my rucksack before and got a bad pain just as I came in the house, then I got pins and needles. I'm hoping it is 'just' anxiety and rucksack pain.

Chickadee
01-03-08, 20:14
Hi there mumto2 - i was relieved to read your post as i came on to write a post about the exact same thing!!! My fingers on my left hand also feel like they re slightly numb, and a little slow at reacting. I (stupidly) googled 'carpal tunnel syndrome', thinking that i had that, and of course i come away thinking that i am either taking a heartattack or a stroke!!! My husband reassured me that if that was the case then it would have happened by now as i have been having these symptoms since Wednesday, he is correct of course, but i just need to be told it!

Coincidentally, this 'arm ache' which I have has been there since the night after the earthquake, which we felt really badly (live in Lincolnshire):shrug: , and i have been getting my anxiety feelings back again since then. I also almost had a PA when the earthquake happened, scared to death, thought it was the end of the world!!! Dramatic i know!!! But it has made me angry as i have been doing really well, and not been anxious since before christmas and i know it was the earthquake that triggered it again.

I just find it bizzarre that 'arm ache' is a sympton of anxiety, but i have read it so many times that it is a sympton (along with all the other aches that i get).

Did the earthquake scare anyone else as much as me? I thought there would be more posts about the earthquake on here, maybe i am the only scardy cat on here then, ha ha!! :scared10:

Sorry i have gone on a bit here, but it feels good to write down how i am feeling, and reassured that someone else has the same feelings/emotions/symptons!!!

:flowers:

doglover
02-03-08, 00:48
Hello there
i often have pains in my left upper arm, sometimes the right too but mainly the left. I am sure its muscular caused by anxiety. Feels tender if i press on it too and sometimes get pain in wrists.
Most of my symptoms of anxiety manifest in muscle pain particularly in my upper back.
I think its quite common and you shouldn't worry about it.
Donna xx

nottsfemale
03-03-08, 14:23
Hi there i am new to the forum, it was recommended to me by a friend. I can relate to your left arm ache i also suffer from it but every now and again i get pains in my chest aswell like this morning at 3am i was wakened by a pain in my chest which then sent me into a panic attack and i still feel weak yet. I have suffered this for more than a year now and have had ultra sounds on my heart and ecg and a stress test all which have come back normal, my doctor also says it is stress and anxiety but thats it no more help and it is really frightening.

take care

AngelHeart
09-03-08, 16:44
Just like to add that I'm suffering from the same symptom at the moment since last week. Ache in upper left arm, shoulder, neck and upper back. I have worried about it but for the first time ( go me!! lol ) thought logical about it too. If it had been my heart I would have known about it by now and also I have a physical lifting job where I have to lift things above my head height, sometimes heavy things so this doesn't help with my arm either!

Sounds like either a pulled muscle or tension hun. the more I think and worry about the ache in my arm the worse it gets!!

Oh to be symptom free for a change! But I would probably start to worry about that too if I was!!

Pauline xx

Mumto2
10-03-08, 13:04
Thank you so much everyone, I have realised over the last couple of days that this is tension, it didn't feel like tension at first but the pain is now right across my shoulder,neck and upper back.

I seem to have so much going on the I don't know what is anxiety and what is not, having just replied to another post (The quesionaire) I realise all my aches, pains etc seem to be stress related.

Now just to find a way to deal with this so it goes away, I have had almost constant arm ache since december and even though I am being rational it isn't making the pain go away.

Thank you all so much, its such a relief just knowing I am not the only one suffering, I feel constantly uptight and stiff at the moment.

Nottsfemale, I also have the sharp pains in my chest at times and it is very scary but it is all related to the anxiety.

Gemma T
11-02-09, 16:38
Hey everyone.

I stumbled across this website today when i was self diagnosing myself (again). I have been getting panic attacks in my sleep for years which i began to manage but now im out of work and i have panic attacks, anxiety attacks and palpitations almost everyday (day and night). This has been going on for months.

I have had 2 ECG and blood test as well as numerous trips to the doctors but i cant get it out of my head that there's a possibility that their wrong.

Lately im getting pains in my left arm. It started with my left leg which became really painful when i walked on it. I know its symptoms of panic attacks but i cant seem to accept that. My symptoms range from numbness, tingling and aches in my left arm and leg, chest pains, nausea, insomnia, fatigue. Ive practically had it all. Ive become obsessed with it all.

After looking at a few threads i realise im not alone. I know exactly how everyone feels. Its tuff to get through but it can be acheived. After all we have a great deal of help from people on this site who know where we are all coming from.

Coming on here has shown me that im not alone and that makes me sure that i can overcome this. We can all overcome this. This website is a godsend x x x

simplysal
11-02-09, 20:27
Honestly, my left arm is aching as I'm typing a response to this thread!!!

Wow........I also have left arm ache A LOT of the time. I also get quite sharp chest pains sometimes under my left breast, sometimes right on the left of my left breast, sometimes it feels directly over where my heart would lie but I have to remind myself that chest pain i.e. heart attack chest pain would feel more like a big fat elephant is sat right in the center of my chest so that should be reassuring enough but because I have health anxiety, it isn't!!!!!

I've been suffering with stress/anxiety around since my daughter was born 6 years ago. I didn't ever suffer thankfully with depression but did develop anxiety.

A bit of advice, come in here by all means but NEVER GOOGLE your symptoms - it will worry you all the more!!!! If ever you get left arm ache and you are looking for reassurance, come here - if you google 'left arm ache' - it will read HEART ATTACK which for those who are suffering from health related anxiety then the worry that seeing that could bring one on for real!!!

Take care, Sal xxx

toshj
12-02-09, 00:57
i've had pains in both my arms since september of last year. similarly to you i've had an ecg, blood tests and various other discussions with doctors about what it might have be.

i ended up going to see a chiropractor about it, and his simple recommendation was to change the position in which i sleep. although i get the pains every now and again (particularly today), this has helped dramatically.

jonffs
20-07-09, 06:35
well i googled my symptoms of getting a constant ache/pain in my left arm everynight that slowly creeps into my chest i have had this for around a year i have seen several doctors under gone all the tests possible ecg etc even ran on a tread mill till my blood pressure hit the alarm on the machine and it stopped and nothing wrong only a slightly raised cholesterol level, then i found this forum,

about 6 years ago i came off paroxatine ( not an easy task ) i was on them for 10 years for deppresion/anxeity and a phobia of chokin
im fine now no anxeity or depression well so i thought but it appears im doing the exact same thing

looking up my symptoms on google and concluding im having a heart attack or stroke i guess after a year of pain and every medical test possible if my heart was dodgy it would have given up by now,

im so glad i came across the site after reading this thread i have realised the pain is more than likely to be anxeity and i now know where to begin with the recovery

i know this reply doesnt really have a point to it
i just wanted to thank you all for helping me realise i was on that slippery down hill slope again ,

"fear is there to protect us"

have a great day :yesyes:

Wee-Mee
20-07-09, 16:58
I have left arm pain.. Had it for about two years and it was wors at the elbow and I thought maybe I had tennis elbow!

There isn't a day I wake up without any aches or pains anywhere.

If a day did arise,I think I would worry why I DIDN'T have a pain!

xx

mel1972
08-08-09, 17:01
I am suffering these attacks at the moment, i lost my mum 3 months ago and after suffering really bad anxiety attacks for about 7 weeks afterwards they finally stopped and i thought i was getting my body and mind back to normal... until this week when bam back with avengance, last night i had what i know now as another anxiety attack i had never had the pain in the arm before and it wasnt until i was i making myself worse that the other pains started. it is my mums birthday coming up this week so i am hoping that this is the cause.

I hate feeling this way and only have myself and my children and no partner to rely on so this is soo scary and i am so alone!
I feel so pathetic the morning after an attack as it seems so trivial but it is anything but that when i am having one!

So here's to normality again at some point

Thank you for listening to me
Mel x

cupcakes2009
15-08-09, 09:37
WOW i have just found this site and its great, my left arm has been feeling weird since Wednesday, its kinda aches it tingles every now and again and im terrified im going to have a heart attack or stroke, i have severe health anxiety's and Agoraphobia so i have to ring the doctor and they come to see me, i have a phone appointment on Monday to speak to a gp, my gp has told me before there is nothing wrong with my heart but ive had no tests as i cant go out, arrrgghhh someone tell me im ok. Like my husband has said if it was something wrong it would have happened by now and im still here, but im still scared/ :weep:

Bella_Donna
25-08-09, 16:19
I'm so glad I found this site. My partner had a heart attack on Sunday. (Fortunately we got him to the hospital early and after inserting a balloon into his artery to unblock it, no damage was done apparently) But Monday night I started feeling a range of symptoms myself and could not work out if I was having an attack (going out in sympathy) myself or suffering an anxiety/stress attack. As previous posts have noted; if you google your symptoms you would check yourself in to the nearest emergency ward asap. Unfortunately as I live in Romania that is not an appealing option under any circumstances.
But after reading the posts on here I came to the conclusion that I was suffering from anxiety (back tension - which I tend to get when severely stressed, arm pain and slight pressure in my chest) - not unlike my partner but not as severe. Coupled with no sleep and a good imagination the best thing I did that night was log on here to find some sense and like effected people. So I just wanted to say thanks to all, and keep up the good work in putting us late night surfers minds at ease. :D

Cell block H fan
25-08-09, 17:21
You're not wearing nicotine patches are you? Only time ive had pains in my arm is when I use those. I have no idea why it does it, but the many time I have used them ive noticed the pattern!
Would be nice to know what thats about just out of interest.
Its like an intermittent ache that goes through the arm on the side I have the patch (I usually put them on my shoulder & alternate every day)

Bella_Donna
26-08-09, 08:12
No, no nicotine patches here. The ache has gone away now. I just think it was a stress reaction to my partners heart attack. Since then I've done an awful lot of sleeping - just catching up I suppose. Today I feel fine.
On the upside, it looks like he's getting out tomorrow, which is just as well if you saw the conditions he's staying in. :ohmy:

Fin
26-08-09, 09:40
I also have these mystery aches but at the moment it is in my left hand and in particular my pinky. My particular fear is parkinsons and I am definitely getting to the stage where I am getting the better of my HA but stupidly thought that given I was feeling better then if I went on to a parkinsons support group website then it would actually be a positive thing and show how far I had come in overcoming my fear. (Yes, I know it is an utterly stupid thing to do.) Anyway I am reading through one of the case studies about a young guy like me who had parkinsons and the first symptom he noticed was the involuntary movement in one of the fingers in his left hand. Guess what, 24 hours later I have this numb and almost tremorish feeling in my pinky, very similar to what Chickadee is describing. It happened on monday and I still have it though I can now see it for what it is. A physical manifestation of the mind. One thing that I am starting to notice is that the power of the mind and its ability to play tricks on your subconscious is unbelievable.
Keep up the good fight everyone!!

GDOC
17-11-09, 08:58
hi everyone.

great to read that i'm not alone in what im feeling. i have a weird tingling sensation, coupled with achey pains in my left arm which often come and go along with numb fingers. i havent had it checked out yet as im pretty certain its just anxiety, and reading all the past posts makes me think that is correct. I am a fairly big girl and to be honest have a drug issue which doesnt help with the anxiety i know and i am currently trying to help that issue in order to try and feel better. Like everyone else i think the worse (heart attack etc etc) but im sure if it was this then it would have happened by now. When i am at home it seems to die down, whereas when i am at work i gets alot worse.

Bella_Donna
18-11-09, 07:34
Hi GDOC,
You didn't say what you do for work. Years ago I had a job in which I had to sit in a fairly prone position bending forward and putting pressure down with my left hand. As a result I got RSI. (Repetitive strain injury) At that time the condition had not been recognized so I got little help. Since then it has and I've had physiotherapy and all is good. But the symptoms where also similar to what you've described. What the difference is is that it mainly happens to you at work - which gave me a flashback. :D
Similarily, by partner (he who had the heart attack a few month ago) recently started having pain in the upper inside of his right arm. Thinking it was heart related he went back to his cardiologist who insisted it had nothing to do with his heart. On further thinking my partner realised that everyday he carries a back pack with his computer in it to work - and you guessed it; over his right arm. He gave it a rest for a few days and lo and behold the pain is gone.
Just some food for thought. :winks:

cascade70
20-11-09, 15:56
Hiya well i have had arm pain for the last two years which comes and goes, had it checked out at the hospital last week and its not related to my heart. At present it is starting to subside but i know it will be back again. Do tend to feel quite anxious when it gets bad and i can feel the early signs of a panic attack when it comes on. Also i am not sure if this helps but the pains are said to be shooting pains if it is related to the heart and not a dull ache like i am getting now, although i am sure shooting pains can be anxiety related also. At present i am going through CBT treatment and it is helping alot. I just say to myself that i have had this before, in fact as i am typing this email, my mind drifted away frmo it, and now i have focused on it again it has become sore, just shows you.

HWaight3000
14-07-10, 14:52
I have had a dull ache in left arm for two days now. It feels slighly tingly and feel like I can't use it properly although I can.

I have been very anxious this last week and presume this is just yet another sympton to add to my list

heather xx
14-07-10, 16:11
i wake up every morning with a strange sensation in my left arm but disappears quite quick. I lay on my right side so i would think would be right arm that would be asleep but its always the left. Not sure what it is maybe i have been laying on it funny during the night who knows but im not panicing about it....yet lol

M155anthr0p3
31-08-11, 12:13
I've figured out what is causing this for me....iphone!!!
LOL!!! X

n_88en_w
22-09-11, 10:14
Hi i also have an aching left arm, ive had it for a while now. I have seen my doctor about this and since had an ECG, blood tests, cholesteral test and all came back normal im pleased to say.:D. I still have the achey arm but at least i know it is NOT leading to a Heart Attack which is what i immediately thought. So if you are worried, please have a check by your GP and be reassured ok. x

midlands
03-02-12, 10:25
hi all
i have found aching in arms can be due to blood thinners?.
i have cut my blood thinners down to half dose
and i am ok now

xtremx
03-02-12, 12:57
Glad someone posted on this old thread.
I too have a aching left arm starts about 10mins after getting out of bed and is with me all day everyday.
Starts in the shoulder and moves down to my hand (strange only my left arm). Leaves my arm feeling constantly tired.

Sarahj8079
07-06-12, 00:23
I have the same thing, coming onto this forum and reading about others that suffer the same problems helps.
My left arm hurts tonight which has made me anxious and is keeping me awake which means tomorrow I will be tired making the anxiety worse. I try to stay calm and think rationally which calms things down. It will get better x

chris9642
07-06-12, 18:28
Me right upper arm aches constantly and leg feels weird ... Also hands feel so tense on both sides i get really worried about MS

benjani
08-07-12, 20:35
I get the same feeling all the time, if i'm on a bus and their is 'chavs' or if i think someone is staring at me i begin to panic, my heart beats faster and begin to feel fainty, then the pain in the arm always comes and i feel so uncomfortable, i use this breathing technique which helps this accept from the pain in the arm which would continue all day, i now feel happier that other people have had this problem before.

I was getting worried reading things from google about heart attacks and things and that would start of my panic feelings, so when i read posts on this website i was relieved. I just want to thank the people who wrote and helped me feel more relaxed.

R4963
08-07-12, 21:30
Hi everyone, just to add my experience to the left arm brigade. I'm going through SSRI withdrawal and this pain in the left arm has been a constant symptom for me. I've read that pain specifically on the left hand side is linked to stress and anxiety. The pain for me feels dull, achey heavy. It's amazing to see how many people have had same thing.

xtremx
09-07-12, 11:06
Same here,
My left arm has ached for years know sometimes it has lead to me shielding that arm from use, At one stage i was thinking i had had a stroke because my arm was at one stage really bad and it felt like using the arm just made it worse.

But hopefully i will find out what is causing it as having a mri of the neck to see if it is nerve damage causing it.

Worrier23
14-08-12, 13:14
I have had this ache in my left arm for years, it's pretty scary which stresses me. I mentioned it to my doctor a few years ago and she said it was probably related to my heartburn. I have had the ecg's and seen heart specialists, but everything there was clear. I do seem to get it sometimes when I have a lot of wind, but I think it could also be stress related.

mpm1982
14-08-12, 14:40
I to get this feeling in my right arm feels like iv fallen asleep on it but i still have full strenth in it the same arm jumps and wakes me up in the middle of the night when im really tyerd. My doctor says its nothing to worry about i was scared it was a syptom of a brain tumour but he said that its not. so off to acuapuncter tomorrow to see if it helps hope it gets rid of the feeling in my head to like some one pushes down on different parts of my scull only last couple of seconds the goes does not hurt just anoying

iloverabs
16-08-12, 09:09
I get a sore left arm and left breast. My hands and fingers on that hand feel dead sometimes. I think It is because I get a strain in a neck muscle whcih travels down the arm, it may be related to stress and also to the fact that I generally sleep on this arm.

Swimming once a week can get rid of it if you can do it. Pilates is also great.

x

tina gill
11-01-14, 21:50
Hello everyone. .I to suffer from an aching in my left arm.i have had panic attacks for years, they rule my life, I think ive had every syptom going.i am glad I found this forum with people who share simular of same symptoms, as I will not worry so much.has anyone on here lost there vision for a moment or two? This has happened to me twice now, but over the course of 5 years.has anyone had counseling and its not worked? Thankyou for your forums, hope ur all well.:)