these symptoms w/ anxiety/panic.
My drs. think I'm nuts and I'm new to this
area and feel like I'm going crazy.
I've had anxiety/panic in the past,
but nothing quite like this...

diana
13-11-03, 13:26
Hi Jennifer,

All of the things you mention are linked to anxiety/panic, actually doctors have told me when it is that bad it is "accute" anxiety!!! You are not going crazy, and you are not nuts. Just keep trying to stay positive, I know it is hard, but try, try, try!!!!!! Also try some of the breathing techniques Meg posted last time. They do work. I hope you will start to feel better soon.

Take Care,

Diana xxx

Meg
13-11-03, 13:36
Dear Jennifer,

These are all very common in panic.

Muscle aches - your body is ready to run and run.
Lump in thoat you know is common, it's been discussed here before .
Tingling in fingers and toes - reflects the hyperventilation and mis balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide. To be hyperventilating doesn't mean you are panting or short of breath, just that your rate has increased.
Burning - blood moving around faster than normal under more pressure.

As previously I would recommend that you go to an exercise class/gym and take some vigorous exercise as soon as possible . Additionally you might want to learn to fully relax by yoga, Tai Chi , meditation or similar.

Most of all you need to learn to talk calmly to yourself, bring yourself down from this heightened state and keep telling yourself over and over again that all is fine and just due to the anxiety.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Jennifer
13-11-03, 18:36
Thanks so much for the encouragement.
I know I must sound like a freak..
It's just a freaky feeling.
I went out today to the grocery
store in the AM - I felt panicky.
I was so close to coming home,
but I went to my friends house
instead to see her new baby.
(she's my only friend here)
I'm brand new to the area and she's
from my home-town.)
It was actually good for me. I feel better
now. Tired and still burning but better....
xoxox

kate
13-11-03, 18:46
Well done, Jennifer, for not giving in to the panic whilst out today. Bet you really enjoyed seeing your friends new baby!Good one!

Kare x

diana
14-11-03, 00:01
Hi Jenn,

Good for you, for taking "CONTROL" of the situation. Just keep getting out, and doing things to keep your mind off of the negative things and thinking. Well done, keep up the good work!!!

Diana xxx

uryjm
15-11-03, 09:54
Jennifer
You are not going nuts, believe us! Many of us are reading your posts and desperately want to reassure you, as we've experienced to a greater or lesser extent the symptoms you describe. We are all here, surviving, posting and enjoying life. You will too. Keep struggling with it, and don't give in. The best way is always through. Good luck.

Jim

Amanda3266
17-11-03, 19:27
Hi Jennifer,

I'm so glad I read your post (read my post above). It's helpful to know I'm not alone with these symptoms. The burning is awful isn't it? Even though I logically know that this is anxiety - when I'm in the middle of a full blown attack it's hard to convince me I haven't got something terminal.
Believe me you are not alone either - I get exactly the same symptoms. My aunt who is a psychiatric nurse and a counsellor/aromatherapist told me that it's due to me not breathing properly during a panic attack. She also said that she saw lots of people with these symptoms and it is all panic - nothing terminal.
She has taught me a few breathing exercises but I'm still not awfully good and tend to reach for a shot of Brandy (not healthy I know but a good relaxant as long as you don't drink to excess - I don't)

I'm new to this forum but it's been a revelation looking here tonight and having read your post I at last believe my aunt!

Here's to both of us finding a way through this

Amanda

nomorepanic
18-12-03, 19:15
Jennifer

Please can you check your email address (click on profile at the top of the page) as I am getting loads of failed emails for you (because you subscribed to various topics).

Cheers

Nicola

Laurie28
19-12-03, 08:28
Jennifer,

i remember when i had 'peaked' at my anxiety I thought I had a mental health problem, i doubted everything I done and if i had put something in the wrong place (ie tea towel under the sink!) i thought i'm having blackouts and i could do something terrible
I wasn't having blackouts and i wasn't going nuts I know that now but at the time i was getting myself really hysterical.

I was just very stressed and reading these posts alot of anxiety sufferers think they are 'nuts' pls believe me when i say i don't think you are going nuts and that your doctor is wrong if he thinks anxiety is 'nuts'

Take Care
Lucky