PDA

View Full Version : NOT AGAIN!

linjane
16-03-05, 08:24
Hello,
Just got up and felt fine. Made a drink (decaf coffee) and sat down to have ten mins on here before I get the kids up and wham loads of missed beats. Checked my pulse and could feel the pauses one seemed like forever and now I am shaking and my heart is beating really fast inbetween the ectopics. Trying not to think about them so they will go away, but they have really scared me again, after saying yesterday I was going to try really not hard not to let them get to me. Sorry to go on about the same thing but feel I will never work past these. (Just had another one)
Linda.

Longie
16-03-05, 11:02
Hi
i dont suffer with these but can relate to what you are saying because all the symptons of panic are very scary. it has taken me along time to come to terms with my mind actually causing my physical symptons,and i still get new ones.
fo me and probably alot of others the morning is the worst time as you anticipate hoe you will feel , also it is a stressful time getting kids to school etc although we may not feel stressed as such our bodies are still producing more adrenelin to fuel our bodies and this rush causes our physical symptons.
if these heart beats are causing you anxiety i would go back to your gp and ask to go on meds for the short term,then after a while the physical symptons of panic will ease and you will, realise that it is your mind doing it to you, that is how i came to terms with it
love Longie

zena
16-03-05, 11:22
Hi.
Having children whilst having these attacks aren't very pleasant.
You have to try and calm yourself down. Easy to say and hard to do I know. The more you concentrate on the feelings you have the more they will be at the forefront of the mind.
I can understand where you are coming from though.
Have got 2 kids myself and have been where you are.
Concentrate on your deep breathing methods to see if that helps. One that I did and still do is...(now it may sound nuts but hay whatever gets you through) sing your favourite song to either just yourself or out loud! Try and read a paper..just anything you can to get your mind of the symptons.
If they get to bad though do go and see your gp. They might actually send you to a counsellor or if you have a good one they may just listen to you themselves.
Hope this helps.

with good wishes

Zena

lainey
16-03-05, 11:36
Hi Linda

How are you feeling now chuck?
I can't really add anyhting to what Longie and Zena have said so hold on in there you will be ok.

Take care

Elaine x

vernon
16-03-05, 12:23
Hi lin. sorry to hear how you feel but you are getting better? think back you had a good day yesterday. we all have these set back but bet if u look right back u never had any good days? its slow but you are getting there to get better days. hope u feel better soon. Venon

Laurie28
16-03-05, 12:58
Hiya Linda,

When you feel loads of missed beats DO NOT check your pulse, that is only going to make things worse, making you panic even more when you feel 'big gaps' I know it is difficult but if you can at least try and stop checking it should help you.

Lucky

FAN
16-03-05, 14:00
hi hope your feeling a bit better , think my advice would be that when you feel the panic dont check your pulse etc just let it past checking only confirms what your feeling then exaggerates it take care

fan x

Meg
16-03-05, 14:49
Linda,

When a set of missed beats come on don't sit down and listen to them - get on with walking up some stairs, have a bit of a dance around the room and give your heart something to work to.
Its often a sign of gearing up or gearing down so let it get on with it and then go back to what you were doing.

Taking your pulse is useless anyway as with skipped beats and ectopic beats some of them don't push out enough blood to reach the wrist so you are counting less beats than are actually happening at the heart end so it seems worse than it really is.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Tracy68
16-03-05, 15:37
Linda
Bet you totally panicked and didn't breathe through them did you??? Grrrrrr @ you lol. Remember what i keep telling you when they happen relax and control your breathing ok i promise you it works. I've had a couple today as i was walking home from train station but took deep breaths and they went. I've checked my pulse before after having them and it was horrible to actually feel those beats being missed so now i don't do it. I just check my pulse when i think i'm having a heart attack lol...sorry joking[:P].
PM me if you want Linda coz at end of day i do really know how you feel but you know i've suffered years with them and i'm still here.

Take care
Tracy
x

Raindrop
16-03-05, 16:57
Sorry that you're feeling bad, but it's just a blip.

Don't know if this has already been suggested (??) but what about some exercise? I had very bad breathing problems at the beginning of term, so much so I was sent to hospital because they thought it was a blood clot. Of course, it was just anxiety/asthma/virus combined... but you know what *really* made me stop worrying? I made myself go to an intensive aerobic session - when I was already breathless. You can imagine I honestly thought I was going to keel over, but I was fine! Not only was I fine - but the exercise made me forget about my breathing and I finished the session hot, sweaty and without the same horrible breathlessness. Doing exercise when you're worried about something fundamental about your heart is great because it reassures you that everything is working tickety-boo. It also helps release those endorphins making you feel less down and less tense/anxious. Even if you work out and still get the ectopic beats, work through them, carry on - you'll soon see NOTHING bad will happen. At all. Try and stop worrying, hon.

katiekatie
16-03-05, 17:12
Hi Linda

Hope you are feeling better now, I dont have palpitations very often but i have many different symptoms that drive me crazy so I can understand to some extent. Does decaf coffee still have a little caffeine in it?? I think it does, you may want to check as it won't help first thing on an empty tummy.

katiekatie x

linjane
16-03-05, 18:58
Hello everyone,

You are all so kind and helpful - thankyou so much.

I've lost track of what to reply to now....Only just got in from work and also had to see my counsellor at 4.30 today - he said what I expected, because I have had a stressful week no wonder they come and go all the time, not to mention al the built up stress of many years. It so nice to know you all care and have taken time to reply to me.

I know I have to try to stop checking my pulse - MEG - I don't check it in my wrist, its my neck that I always check - and I will, my counsellor told me the same today.

I think they freak me out so much cuz I get them everyday, more or less but I am going to try so hard Tracy, and try to take on board you advice.

I am really busy now, doing dinner and getting kids sorted so probly not even got much time to spend on here today but will try to make up for it soon. I am learning that I have to 'ME' time which I don't get often.

My counsellor will hopefully work through all what has happened and likened when I lost my baby to something like post traumatic stress disorder(just felt a missed beat!) and also said I have avoided dealing with anything that happened to me and if you know my background, thats quite a lot.
Better get on with dinner now, but speak to you all soon, and thanks again.l
Love,
Linda.xx

Longie
16-03-05, 19:59
HI
i too lost a baby was i was 22 wks pregnant so can probably get an insight to how you are feeling,this is also when my anxiety started ,a health anxiety because i feel i had totally lost confidence in my body. every little thing of illness i have a jumped to the worst outcome because that was what happened when we lost the baby, all the hope was gone and we had to say goodbye. my counsellor also thinks i have ptsd or some unresolved grief because my healthy son was born a year later so i think i burried the loss
take care
Longie

linjane
16-03-05, 20:07
Hi Longie,

I know I didn't deal with losing my baby (he was called Cory) and to this day I still want to hold him. I already had two children and at 38 now feel we shouldn't have anymore, but deep down I want another baby, not to replace Cory maybe to fill the gap, if that makes sense.

I also lost my dad when I was 21, my mom whilst pregnant with my first child (I was 27) then both my grand-parents, then Cory and five months later my husband had an affair. My counsellor says I just carried on as normal, didn't react really in any way. I had the odd cry but I don't know how to come to terms with the losses properly. My anxiety has probably been around since I was about 10 (conclusion of my counsellor, recently) because my dad left home and I didn;t see him again till I was 20 and six months later he died, but the missed beats that I get, which totally freak me out started six weeks after losing Cory(so nice to write his name, he did exist) and I have had them ever since. Cory was born/died on 15th May 2002, two weeks before our little boy was one so I have been having them for nearly three years. Thanks for listening,
Take care,
Linda.

Longie
16-03-05, 22:34
Hi Linda
we lostLily in August 1994, she was our first baby and it was a huge shock, it took away the innocence of pregnancy. we have since had 3 healthy children, but none of them are a replacement , i know what you mean , you just want someont to fill your arms, i always feel like somone is missing.
my counsellor has suggested i try bereavement counselling as she feels i have put this on hold as i became pregnant quite soon after as the pregnancy was very worrying. you have had many losses so your grief must be very intense, a year before we lost Lily a good friend of mine died of cancer she was 23, part of my health anxiety is that i have a cancer phobia, i also suffered from pnd,
people tend not to like talking about Lily, i think they think im alright now because i have other kids
sorry to ramble but even after 10 years the pain is still there
take care linda and remember the grieving process does take a lon time
Longie xx

linjane
17-03-05, 08:35
Hi Longie,

You are right, the grieving process does take a long time and realistically you probably never get over it, I just wish I had grieved more at the time. Like you, I 'got on with things' when we lost Cory. We had two other children to think about and it was just coming up to our sons first birthday so I just plodded on. We were also running a pub at the time so that was another means of escape.

I am so happy for you that you went on to have three more children and like you said, none of them replace Lily she will always be part of your family as Cory will always be part of ours.

If you ever want to talk about Lily to me I am quite happy to listen.
I like to think that Cory is with my mom and other family in heaven especially as my mom never got to see my two children on earth,maybe Cory was for her. That sounded a bit deep, sorry, I'm not even that religious, but I do try to hold on to that thought.
Take care,
Love,
Linda.xx

lisarose
17-03-05, 13:50
Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with these horrible ectopic beats, i know how you feel. Mine, even now seem to stop me in my tracks but at other times I can ignore them. I also check my pulse alot so you are not on your own there!! You have been through such an emotional rollercoaster with everything whats happened to you and I really feel for you, infact reading your post and Longies post got me quite emotional, i have never expereinced what you have and can't even begin to know what it feel like to lose a baby but I think you have coped amazingly, it makes my problems seem so trivial. If ever you want to talk, just send me an email or a PM.
Keep your chin up babe and with everyone's help here you will get through this. Do the ectopic beats ever make you feel a bit lightheaded or dizzy as mine do sometimes, not all the time but it worries me still.
Take care
Love Lisaxx

linjane
17-03-05, 18:09
Hi Lisa,
Thanks for your kind words.

How are you feeling now? I can't say my ectopics make me feel dizzy, but maybe sometimes a bit light-headed but like you said they just scare you, especially when you get some that feel 'stronger' than others.
I really hate them but know I need to learn to deal with them better and listening to you and Tracy should help me!
Take care, speak to you soon,
Love,
Linda.xx