PDA

View Full Version : I've had panic disorder since Nov 2005...

Paulos
01-03-08, 16:49
Hello all, I'm Paulos. I've had major panic disorder ever since I went through my first alcohol withdrawal in Nov 2005, ever since the only way I drowned my anxiety/ocd/paranoia/fears was with booze... now I'm on Day 18 without drinking/smoking. I believe it was February 12th that I stopped drinking.

I'm in home rehab, but I've really noticed memory loss, way worse anxiety lately, and quick overwhelment with big words, sentences, things that break, problems that can come up in life, even reading a piece of paper or writing one.

I should also add I'm a 22 year old Autistic Adult on Lamictal 75mg, and Invega 6mg my doctor just put me on the Invega 6mg 5 days ago, I've been getting dizzy ever since I've been on it, and I'm coming off trying to get off my original dosage of 125mg to 50mg while drinking while going through the side effects without my doctor knowing since I just thought medication may be making me worse but I don't think it is, my doctor now knows so don't worry about that... well that's basically my story so far. Anyone else have these symptoms?

Paulos
01-03-08, 20:35
Btw anyone ever have the feeling as followed: I was talkin to someone in real life but then got hot and then my body felt like sweats and had to walk away...

louwilliams
01-03-08, 20:50
ive had that loads of time since i was diagnosed with panic disorder paulos-not much help to you but hope you feel better soon

lou xx

kaz79
01-03-08, 20:59
Congratulations for coming off the booze. I had to quit after a 5 day bender in amsterdam. I didn't sleep and drank enough to sink a ship.
I was a state when I got back and couldnt stay still for 2 minutes and spent half the night screaming at my mum to get the doctor. I had to quit anyway coz my partner and I wanted to try for a baby.
Anyway. after that hellish night and copious temazepam I thought enough is enough. I was drink free for over a year and had twin girls.
I still have the odd drink but I can never get drunk ever again or it will tip me over the edge. I have to keep it together for my kids.
Hope you beat this anxiety. Good luck. :)

Paulos
02-03-08, 14:11
Sigh... got bad anxiety right now, shortness of breath, anxiety in chest, palpitations, left arm ache... scared -.-... thanks all.

chalky
02-03-08, 15:18
Hi Paulos,

You certainly have lots going on in your life at the minute!!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Withdrawal from the booze will add to the anxiety symptoms in the short term.It is very important that you focus day by day on eating well,drink plenty of fluids(non-gassy) and rest well. When I stopped drinking,it took about a month fro me to really notice a big difference.
Keep things simple-plenty of distraction.
Read,watch TV,listen to music,talk to people-all these help take your attention away from the anxious thinking.Sometimes you have to persevere with this but it does work.
You should be very proud of the efforts you are making to turn your life around.
After nine years of sobriety,I can assure you that the effort is worthwhile.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Paulos
02-03-08, 18:34
Perserverence that's what I'm trying to do ... I'm just scared this crap WON'T Go away no matter how I do in the booze because it feels so bad...

kaz79
02-03-08, 18:41
I feel just as s**t at teh moment if thats any consolation.:weep:

Paulos
02-03-08, 20:41
actually it is, thanks kaz. I got a HEADACHE, palpitations of the heart, anxiety, shortness of breath, overwhelment, fears/ocd about life as well. :weep:

kaz79
02-03-08, 20:43
Hope you feel better soon. Chin up:) :) :)

Rennie1989
03-03-08, 09:38
Paulos

I too have panic disorder and what you feel is very similar to how I feel. I get memory loss and it strikes at the worst times like forgetting to turn my hair straighteners off or to lock the front door. On a bad day I get very anxious over anything, like thinking whether I have packed everything or whether I did actually lock the front door! Reading gets a bit difficult too, especially with big paragraphs and long unfamiliar words.

Don't worry, we all know how you feel and we all understand.

Paulos
03-03-08, 16:31
Thanks :) btw I got a question for the Benzo/Xanax/Valium experts out there, in a book "The joy of being sober" it said Valium is like another form of alcohol, is that true?

sheba2
03-03-08, 21:22
Hi Paulos,

I'm probably not much help on the alcohol front as I've never drunk but I do understand panic as I've had it for more years than I care to think about. The anxiety symptoms you get are very familiar and I've read that coming off any addiction is really tough so well done to you and I wish you well.

Paulos
04-03-08, 16:28
ah I see.