PDA

View Full Version : Yet another new person

zena
16-03-05, 10:11
;) Hi my name is Zena. Am 37 this year. Have suffered from agoraphobia now for 18 years +.
Have done alot of things that I'm proud of having 2 children, picked a nice fella that's stuck to me through thick and thin. Passed my driving test (although can't drive by myself for long) and the greatest thing is moving 200 miles to Wales.
Now am not trying to impress people...through alot of determination and hard work things are achieveable....little things 1st then the big things.
I have had setbacks as everyone can understand...you just know how to cope better with these.
At the moment going through a bit of a bad patch...getting a wee bit down. My daughter is showing signs off panic attacks she is only 14 and I don't want her to go through what I have.
Does anyone know of any self help books that a young person would read. I have books myself but as you know they do take abit of reading and attention, well I'm sure I have bored you people long enough.
If anyone wants any help please feel free and I will try and do my best.
Thanks

with good wishes

Zena

lainey
16-03-05, 10:33
Hi Zena

Welcome the site, you'll get loads of help and support here, you seem to have a very positive approach to dealing with it all so well done for that.
There are a few people who can help regarding your daughter and I'm sure they will post some replies.
Welcome to Wales, I also live in Wales in Cardiff whereabouts are you?

Take care

Elaine x

jill
16-03-05, 10:37
Hi Zena

Welcome to the site,

[Wow!] impress away[^] you have shown other sufferes that there is light at the end of the tunnel, you have the right to be proud of yourself, you have done all the hard work. WELL DONE
Sorry to hear that you are going through a bad pach at the momenet,
I to have a daughter who suffered PA anxiaty from an the age of 3,
she is now 11 and doing very well.
Sorry Zena I don't know of any books, but I sure someone here can help you.
To use your words, I'm not trying to impress people but I tought my daughter alot of things over the years on how to cope with her illness.
But back in june last year I suffered PA anxiaty and everything I tought my daughter went out of the window and I could not bring my illness underer control. Then I found this site[^] and I an now 98% better most days 100%.
There are lots of nice people here who will support you and help you support your daughter.

TAKE CARE LOVE JILLXXX

seh1980
16-03-05, 10:53
Welcome aboard!! :D

vernon
16-03-05, 11:19
Hi zena, Welcome to the site. Meg will Probs know of something to help your daughter as she is a nurse but so well up on these problems. Kate also has a daughter who is suffereing from OCD i am sure she would like to get back to you too. There are quite a few young people on here with anxiety/ panic etc so i am sure u will get lots of replys. take care. Vernon

FAN
16-03-05, 12:32
hi welcome to the forum

fan x

zena
16-03-05, 13:16
Thanks to everyone that has replied. Wow and so quickly too. Well I think that I should introduce my daughter to this site and she can tell you in her own words what's going on.
Lainey: I live in Abertillery. Not that far away from Cardiff! On a good day anyway.Great city and no doubt will get inundated on Sat with the Rugby!
Could go on.....many thanks for the support all of you. Glad I found the site.

with good wishes

Zena

Meg
16-03-05, 14:09
Hi Zena ,

Welcome and glad to hear you cope well with your issues. What bits are you struggling with at present ?

Sorry to hear about your daughter but glad that you're going to tackle it before it gets overwhelming for her.

Here are a few helpful books

Worried No More: Help and Hope for Anxious Children
by Aureen Pinto Wagner

Cool Cats, Calm Kids : Relaxation and Stress Management for Young People
by Mary L. Williams
Reading level: Ages 9-12

Today's children are stressed. They need learning tools that are fun, informative and memorable to help them cope. Cool Cats, Calm Kids is a practical yet humorous guide to stress management for children ages 7-12

Don't Pop Your Cork on Mondays : The Children's Anti-Stress Book
by Adolph J. Moser
Reading level: Ages 9-12

Book Description
In this very informative and highly entertaining handbook for children, Dr. Adolph Moser offers practical approaches and effective techniques to help young people deal with stress.

Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-By-Step Guide for Parents by Ronald M. Rapee

A Boy and a Bear: The Children's Relaxation Book by Lori Lite

The Anxiety Cure for Kids : A Guide for Parents by Elizabeth DuPont Spencer

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Karen
16-03-05, 20:36
Hi Zena

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

zena
17-03-05, 14:22
Thanks for the reading material for Abby. Will look them up and send off for them.
It's little things at the moment that are setting the panics off again. The only thing is that it has happened every year around this time when my Mum died. I don't like March at all. To many memories...Mums birthday...mothers day...my mum and dads anniversary at the end of March.
I can get quite depressed but now can sort off handle it without it getting out of hand too much. Have taken anti depressents b4..they worked for a little while but I didn't want to be on them for ever, they just mask the problem.
So with all this I don't think I'm doing to badly. There are other people who are far worse than myself.
I'm glad I have found this forum and website. It's a good job the kids aren't here during the day otherwise wouldn't be able to get on at all!
Anyhow best go take care

with good wishes

Zena