PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Propranolol

Meewah
01-03-08, 19:14
Please can anyone tell me about coming off these as My doctors note says that I must not stop taking these tablets. I read that you have to come off them gradually as your heart can go quite crazy if you just stop taking them. It recommends doing no exersise when coming off just in case it increases your heart beat.

I am on 40mg Once a day and would like to know I can stop taking them whenever.

Any one help?

Mee

AtmoLav
05-03-08, 15:20
I was on them for 2 weeks once, but I can't remember the dosage. I just stopped and was fine. But I'd never advise it, cos I'm not a doctor.

HappyHayley
10-04-08, 01:21
I came off them when found out I was pregnant. Had the most horrendous headaches. The doctor said it was the worst thing I could have done. Nothing other than that happened to me and strangely no anxiety!!

noonoo
12-05-08, 21:47
I'm on my last 2 tablets now. I haven't taken one at all today but I will tonight before I go to bed, no side effects at all as I usually have to take them twice a day. I'm just making sure I have at least one left until I go back to the doctors but i'm also being careful just in case I do get any or if I feel panicky.

Cathy V
12-05-08, 21:56
Hi meewah, ive just swopped from propranolol to another beta-blocker in the last few days, and i must admit i feel much better already. I was pescribed propranolol last oct/nov at 80mg slow release once a day. they were great at first but later gave me anxiety probs, ectopic heartbeats, no energy etc. I did try to stop them about a month ago but i felt really wound up and although my heart didn't go bananas, the ectopics were certainly much stronger and just felt wound up all the time.

The new meds seem to be much kinder to me, and only 5mgs daily. Theres always a chance that they too will stop being effective but wll have to cross that bridge if i get to it:D

Regards
Cathy V xx

shortstuff
13-07-08, 08:06
No advice I'm afraid, although I may be able to contribute in a few days. I was told yesterday, by an emergency doctor, to stop taking propranolol as they are causing breathing difficulties. I've been on 120mg a day. I have only missed one tablet so far (my evening one) and my next one would be due about now. Even after only missing one I woke up mid panic attack this morning which may or may not be coincidence. I'm not due to see my GP for 2 weeks either. Wish me luck, and I will let you know what happens.

shortstuff
15-07-08, 21:31
Day 3 off Propranolol and it seems like it's getting easier each day. Sunday was awful - every time I stood up I got really dizzy, I had several panic attacks and felt awful. Yesterday was better. Still dizzy but not nealry as much, lots of panic attacks (but this was as much the situation at work I think) and palpitations. Today has been better again. I've only had 3 panic attacks today (yesterday I had 7+), almost no dizziness and the palpitations seem a lot milder.

Fingers crossed the pattern will continue (although I'm now on Citalopram, so that may have an effect).

It's nowhere near as bad as I'd imagined - it hasn't been easy, but it could've been worse!