PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram - when do you take it?

shakygirl
02-03-08, 12:08
Currently taking mine first thing in the morning but as still at the side effects stage I was wondering if would be better to take it at night and then hopefully sleep through the worst bits.

My side effects are feeling jittery and nauseous and my foot keeps tapping and I find I keep clenching my jaw. Also very tired. Just counting down time really until they start to work (been taking full dose for a week now). I have diazepam to take as well but I am trying not to use it as do not want to become addicted

Anyone with any thoughts/experience to share?

willitstop
02-03-08, 14:10
Hi
im currently on day 7 of citalopram and take mine at night. today im suffering with high anxiety and sweating and dizziness but im hopeing these go soon.
i do find taking this medication at night helps.
i also have diazepam as a relief if it gets to bad sitting here contemplating taking one just to get some relief from it all.
Hope you feel better soon and im here if you need to chat xx

skybluesally
02-03-08, 14:31
:yesyes:

Hi! My hubby takes his Citalopram 1st thing in the morning as he found it really hard to get off to sleep taking it later in the day. He had all the side effects you mention for a week or two, but he's really glad he stuck it out as it has helped his depression so much.

I take 200mg of Sertraline (Zoloft/Lustral) 1st thing too, & went through the sweats, shakes & dizziness etc. too when I started it. I felt like stopping taking it as I felt to ill, but I'm glad I did keep going as it's helped me feel much better.

Most off the SSRIs have the same side effect profile so I would say that morning is the best time to take them. They can make it really tough to sleep if they're taken later in the day.

Hope this helps!

Sally :)

joy
02-03-08, 17:30
how long did it take up to reach the dizzy heights of 200mg of sertraline?
I have been on 150 for nearly 5 weeks previously on lower doses but altho i am having the odd good days i'm far from good. wonder if its woth going higher altho i dont think my shrink would agree as he was dubious about 150mg

Joy

bet
02-03-08, 18:13
I've been on almost every antidepressant in the last 4 years to help with panic attacks.I hope this citalopram is worth it.The feelings of being out of it and odd dreams are certainly interesting.

bet x

willp
02-03-08, 19:37
Hi Shakygirl,

I take mine first thing in the morning as it disrupted my sleep patterns when I first started taking it. You're probably best off continuing to take it in the morning so your body can get used to it. The side effects don't last too long and Citralopram really helped me once it kicked in.

Good luck,

Will

shakygirl
02-03-08, 19:52
Thanks guys - think I will stick with it as I have felt much better today. I have also made a discovery that the fact I take omeprazole (for gastritis) and have been taking diazepam too has almost certainly contributed to the horrible washing machine stomach, furry tongue and acid taste in my mouth - all of which I had attributed to the citalopram. So not going to take the diazapam and see if things improve.

skybluesally
03-03-08, 12:27
how long did it take up to reach the dizzy heights of 200mg of sertraline?
I have been on 150 for nearly 5 weeks previously on lower doses but altho i am having the odd good days i'm far from good. wonder if its woth going higher altho i dont think my shrink would agree as he was dubious about 150mg

Joy

:D :D :D "Dizzy Heights!!" Yep, it ws a bit of dizziness along the way!!

Really worthwhile though. I was on 150mg for 2 months &then went up to 200mg. I've been on that for 3 years!! I really didn't feel the benefits until after 8 months on 200mg. I was thinking about quitting it altogether (well, tapering off gradually as it's dangerous to stop suddenly, but the shrink said I ought to stick with it!! I nearly told him where to stick it as I was very, very dubious about it ever having any effect. I'm glad I said nothing as I'd now be eating my words!!

After 2 years I had the "Prozac Poop Out" syndrome where I crashed & the sertraline alone wasn't enough. I added 150mg Moclebemide to the mix (I take a real witches brew of meds, believe me!) & after 6 months or so felt a lot better. I came off the Moclebemide & the sertraline alone is still doing the job. If I have a prolonged spell of depression I know I can add the Moclebemide & let the levels ofserotonin in my brain increase.

I'm lucky in that I can do a bit of "Pick 'n' Mix" with my meds. The GP, shrink & CPN trust me not be be stupid as I trained as a Psychiatric nurse!! (No longer working as my mental health became shot!!)

So I have the advantage of having been a practioner as well as a patient! I think most people aren't as lucky as me. I have a friend who has to fight her shrink tooth & nail for any adjustments to her meds. She's bright & clued up & is nearly always right about what she may need, but she doesn't have the clout (or whatever it is I have) to be listened to. It drives me mad that GPs, shrinks etc., don't
listen to what patients say. If you've struggled with an illness & tried loads of meds, read up or trawled the 'net, etc., then you can quite easily figure what may be worth a try. But the professionals don't like that!! It's the "We know better than you" syndrome. And it's not always the case.

Hope this helps. Persevere with the dose & if you still feel that it's not adequate, tell them & demand they do something about it. That sounds rude, but I think patients with mental health problems should speak up when they are being properly served by the system.

Sally