PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Diazepam

shakygirl
02-03-08, 19:57
I have been taking diazepam for about 4 weeks now and want to stop. I only take 2 x 4mg tablets a day. As it is such a small dose do you think I need to 'wean' off them or just stop?

I was thinking I might just stop taking the one in the morning for a week and then stop the night time one too.

Any thoughts or experiences gratefully received!

decca
02-03-08, 20:17
Good question , I would like to know that as well. Could you clarify your dosage though as I didn't know they were available in 4 mg tabs. do you mean 4 x 2mg per day ?
I would also like to know if anyone is taking Diaz. long term , what dosage they are on and if they've suffered any tolerance or addiction.
Cheers
Decca.

shakygirl
03-03-08, 08:02
doh! :doh:

No I meant 2 x 2mg a day - 4mg in total! I take 1 x 2mg at night and 1 x 2mg in the morning (although not taking the morning one today).

Phill2
03-03-08, 08:09
I've been taking 2 x 10mg/day for a few years now and although I haven't developed a tolerance I do think I have a "low dose dependancy".
4mg/day for 4 weeks should be easy to give up.
Phill :shades:

willitstop
03-03-08, 09:20
Hi shakygirl
i think its a good idea to wean off the tablets the way you said.
please let us no how you get on.

decca
03-03-08, 10:05
See how you get on, if you get problems try dropping quarter or half a tablet a day for a few days then another quarter or half per day and so on.
Best wishes.
Decca.

decca
03-03-08, 10:10
Thanks Phill,
I've been taking 3mg per day ( one and a half 2 mg tab )for about a week now
it's helped me so much ,I don't like the thought of having to stop taking them.
Decca.

Tom_M
03-03-08, 10:28
Weaning yourself of tablets is always better. It lets your body adjust to the change and stops any withdrawal symptoms.

shakygirl
07-03-08, 16:16
So,I cut out the morning 2mg last Sunday and last night I stopped the evening 2mg too. So the last one I took was Wednesday night so far no side effects. Feel pleased - just taking the citalopram now. Onto week 3 of that and seems to be working pretty well.
Onwards and upwards!

decca
07-03-08, 17:29
well done shaky :yesyes:
hope all continues to go well for you.
Decca

Nel
07-03-08, 18:54
Well done Shaky, you’ve done absolutely the right thing in stopping them. 4mg a day is a fairly low dose short term, I’ve taken 15mg a day in the past (15mg and upwards daily is classed as high dosage) for up to 4 weeks and tapered with relative ease.
Diazepam was a life saver for me at one time but I would avoid at all costs using it daily for any longer than 4-6 weeks.

decca
07-03-08, 19:59
I guess I'd better start weaning myself off of mine then, been on 2mg each morning with an ocassional extra 1mg if I really needed it coming up to 2 weeks now, but they've really helped me and wouldn't like to go back to the extremely tense state I was in before.
Decca.

shakygirl
07-03-08, 20:07
Are you trying anything else Decca? Yoga, meditation etc? I have found both really useful.
The citalopram is good but to be honest wish I had not needed it. It was only because the anxiety had stopped me eating and I dropped so much weight so quickly that I decided to take it but now I am concerned that I will come to depend on it.

decca
07-03-08, 20:18
Yea tried yoga,tai chi, walked so much I lost weight ,had some cbt not much help though, Dr offered Citalopram but didn't really think I needed it as I'm not depressed.
Decca.