PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram -HELP

Howler
03-03-08, 15:22
Hallo people,

I took my first Citalopram tablet this morning (10mg) and am feeling VERY strange -I don't know whether its happening because of my knowledge that this drug can produce some weird and wonderful side effects or whether I'm actually experiencing them.

I feel really very spaced out, totally forgetful (this was one of my main anxiety symptoms to begin with) -I'm doing things and they're completely going out of my head the minute I've done them, and I feel all tingly and agitated and like I'm not really here. I feel like I'm about to completely lose it!

CliveL
03-03-08, 15:35
I am on 60mg of citalopram, they do make you spaced out initially but it should settle down with time

willp
03-03-08, 16:00
Hi Ed,

Yes, that sounds like side effects to me - they vary from person to person. Keep at it - they'll settle down before too long as your body get used to the medication.

Good luck,

Will

groovygranny
03-03-08, 18:53
Hi Ed,

Another 60mg ex-Citalopramer here!

Definitiely one of the side effects - I know how horrible it feels but you're not going to lose it ok?

Do try and stick with it because as Clive and Will say it will settle down....I'm so very glad I carried on even when tempted to stop, because then it really started to work for me.

Hang on in there, :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:)

Howler
04-03-08, 09:27
Thank you all! Just taken dose number 2. Woke up this morning feeling a bit sick and with a really dry mouth -horrible. Going to persevere though! :blush:

shakygirl
04-03-08, 14:29
Good on you Howler - keep going. I am on day 10 of full dose and side effects as good as gone and starting to feel much much better already. It really is worth sticking with!

Howler
04-03-08, 15:15
Thanks again, although have just come back from an emergency appointment at the GP's (second appointment in as many days) because of visual problems -my left pupil is larger than the right one at the moment, and my vision out of my left eye is quite blurred. I've also got a floater in my right eye. Dr checked them out, couldn't find anything wrong and suggested it might be an ocular migraine as the only relevant Citalopram side-effect was 'visual disturbances'. Almost too wiped out by all this to panic. :weep:

sandbanks
04-03-08, 21:48
Hi Ed

My First Week On Citlopram Was (10mg) Crap, Slept The Week Away Really, Shakes, Sickness Feeling ,skin In Arms And Chest Felt Like They Were Burning But Felt Cold To Touch,and No Energy What So Ever, Eyes Kept Going Blury,could Not Get My Brain Around The Most Simple Taske, But Big But After 5 Days Started To Feel Better, After 2 Weeks Doc Put Me Up To 20mg No Probs Really, Now 8 Weeks Later Feel Great, Back To Normal, Best Thing I Have Ever Done, Had No Panic For 7 Weeks, Wish I Had Done It Years Ago, Have Sufferd For 18 Years With Anxiety And Felt I Spent My Life Fighting Against Panic,feel So Relaxed Now, Some Times The Anxiety Creeps In But I Just Push It Away, And It Goes, I No Meds Are Not A Cure, But Sometimes, U Just Need That Rest To Make Yourself Stronge Again,my Body Is So Use To Running On Over Drive, This Has Slowed It Down. And Hopefully I Will Learn To Keep It That Way.
I Now It Awful But Try And Stick With It, And Hopefully In A Few Weeks We Will Read Post From U With Good News.
Take Care
The Only Day Wasted Is A Day Without Laughter
Sandy

shakygirl
05-03-08, 07:55
I started writing a diary about the same time that I started taking the citalopram and it really helps to look back over the good and bad days and see that things are getting better.
Keep posting Howler and just think - another day nearer feeling better.

hopeful
05-03-08, 09:30
Sandy,I could have written your post myself.Thats exactly how it was for me.The only difference being that I'm now on 30mg,which is suiting me.:yesyes:

Ed, try and persevere,the side effects do go away,promise.:)

julie x:hugs:

Howler
05-03-08, 11:37
Thanks everyone; you're all so lovely and supportive. I really am grateful for all of your comments and advice! Day three now, feeling spaced out and woozy, foggy head, shaky etc. but going to persevere. :winks:

shakygirl
05-03-08, 15:16
woken up for 3rd day running feeling calm and positive - hooray for citalopram!

Just a thought Howler - do you take your tablet with some food? I found the side effects were much reduced if I took it after breakfast.

Howler
06-03-08, 10:12
Yep been taking it after breakfast. 4th day now, woke up feeling sick and shaky and my morning routine was plagued by my inability to think straight at the mo. But I'm still here... :blush:

shakygirl
06-03-08, 13:29
After 3 good days I am having a bit of a blip today but not as bad as it would have been a couple of weeks ago so battling through it. Have made big life decision (see general anxiety post for all the boring details!) which I think made this morning bad but already feeling better.

samc100
06-03-08, 19:14
Hi Howler

I took 10mg at first and the first 10 days were just horrible ( it was like a permanent panic attack). But the effects did ease gradually. It's not pleasant at all but it could be worth it so hold onto that hope...