PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm new

mumof2
03-03-08, 16:41
I've been lurking on here for a while but have now plucked up the courage to post!

I got diagnosed with anxiety in January following a couple of very stressful years (moving house/house renovations/having a 2nd baby/returning to work & childcare worries/serious illness in the family/stress with the kids etc etc - need I go on?). It took ages for me to realise I might be suffering from anxiety - over a year in fact. I was worried I might have some awful disease, especially as my dad died from bowel cancer. For me, it started gradually with mild IBS symptoms soon after the birth of my 2nd child i.e. having to suddenly rush to the loo. To begin with, it would only happen sometimes, usually on social occassions, but over time started to happen more frequently so I felt rough nearly every day. I would also feel sick, shaky, shivery, panicky and have palpitations.

Ironically, by the time I sought help many of the problems that had caused me to be stressed were well on the way to being resolved, yet I felt worse than ever. My GP explained that my body had "learnt how to panic" and the original stressors had been replaced by a new one i.e. the fear of feeling ill. I was put on a very low dose of 10mg Citalopram per day and after a few days I noticed a definite improvement although it seemed to plateau after that. Regarding the IBS, I was no longer needing the loo several times a day. Instead, I would often have diarreah once or maybe twice 1st thing in the morning and would then be fine for the rest of the day. I went back to the Dr after 6 weeks who said that it was possibly just the fear of having to face the day. I think she had a point as it tended to be worse on days I had to go somewhere. She increased my dose to 20mg per day 10 days ago and I've definitely felt much better and hadn't had diarreah for over a week, until this morning when I had to go 4 times which got me very dispondent and prompted me to post on here :weep: However, it was Monday morning (which I always dread), so fingers crossed, I'll be ok for the rest of the week.

Sorry for droning on, but hopefully someone can relate to my story and perhaps could offer me some words of wisdom. I'm so glad I found this site as at least I know I'm not alone and what I'm suffering from is not that unusual.

Thanks for reading.

pink daisy
03-03-08, 16:47
Hi Mumof2

Welcome to nmp

You will find lot's of help here and make lot's of new friends!

Kate xx

Lilith1980
03-03-08, 16:51
Hi mumof2

Welcome to the forum hun :)

You'll get lots of support and advice from the people on here, glad to have you with us.

Jo xxxxx

chalky
03-03-08, 17:08
Hi Mumof2,

Welcome to the Forum!!!!

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

manmoor
03-03-08, 17:36
Hi Mumof2,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Karen
03-03-08, 17:41
Hi Mumof2

:welcome: to NMP.

You'll find lots of support here.

Karen xx

trac67
03-03-08, 18:08
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

heidi
03-03-08, 20:10
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/heidi51/hello-2.gif

Welcome to NMP, you will get tons of advise and support here and make many friends along the way........Don't forget to visit the chatroom !! :hugs:

Nibbles
03-03-08, 21:16
Hi mumof2 and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. I'm sorry you've had a tough day and mornings are worst for me too. I think getting the runs is a natural reaction to stress that goes back to when our ancestors had to prepare to face danger or run away from it. It is very common and although it's unpleasant it's nothing to worry about.

Take care,

Mike :)

groovygranny
03-03-08, 23:12
Hello Mumof2:welcome: to you!

Greetings from a fellow 'lurker' - I did just the same before I joined!

You've had a miserable time but starrted to improve then hit a bump - and that's where this site can help you.

Loads of people here who have similar experiences - and gone on to improve again!

Glad you joined us, and pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

weeble40
04-03-08, 11:58
Hi and a big warm welcome to NMP you will get loads of good advice here and make lots of friends in the process, hope to catch you some time in chat

Take Care

Emma xxxx

Lindalou64
04-03-08, 13:27
Hello Mumof2 And Welcome ......wish Ya Well...........linda

nomorepanic
04-03-08, 19:11
Hi Mumof2

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

Debs78
07-03-08, 15:42
Hi Mumof 2

Welcome.

Have you tried talking to a therapist, might help with you anxiety?

Debs x x

Wolfie
08-03-08, 10:32
Hi Mumof2!!!

Welcome to NMP!!! :) :) :)

You will find tons of advice and support here!

Nice to meet you hun :)

Wolfie xx